Notices

Top Speed And Hot Boat

Old 03-01-2002, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Speed And Hot Boat

Is it just me or does Hotboat seem to be "Out there" when it comes to their supposed radar/GPS speed postings. To me it seems either their equipment is way off, or their hp figures are way off or their "non mercury powered" applications. Its just like this months issue detailing their 3100 AO with 750hp blower motors and B-max drives..126...NO WAY. I won't mention any names, but I personally know one of the fastest 3100's around with similar power on bravo's..114.. on a good day and virtually everything has been tried on this boat. Two yrs ago there was a Carrera featured with a 540 "strange" motor with 600 hp estimated (I spoke with the owner 774hp actual) that ran 97..I have a 632 with 900hp that only runs 100. 125hp for 3 mph...come on. A buddy of mine drove a 26 Howard cat with a 830hp Nickerson blower motor to 95 mph on radar, a far cry from howards claimed 112 mph with 750hp. I understand the magazine needs to sell ads, but responsible reporting for potential buyers should carry equal importance.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:15 PM
Allan

Welcome to the ten mile an hour lie I have never seen a boat tested that a friend or other boat owner could achive the speeds that were published. I have come to the conclusion that most of these magazines print what the MFG wants them to. After all who pays the bills for the magazines. give a boat a bad mrk and maybe no more advertising Just my sinacle self

Old 03-02-2002, 12:04 AM
merlin540

just like your boat right team carerra hahahah how fast????????

Old 03-02-2002, 12:32 AM
merlin540

i think i take that back. why dont you show me your 115 and i will show you mine. make sure your bottle of nos is filled you going to need it.

Old 03-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered

Hey Merlin, I'd have to dig out my 250hp jets to get there. But I should be running 115 off the squeeze...shouldn't I ?? I think I need to "invest" in one of these GPS units..its amazing how much faster I'd be going...
Old 03-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

then I might stay with ya for 30 secoonds or so., or until one of us toasted a drive....

A funny thing to me is every cat I run across goes 100, doesn't matter what the power is, if the math works, etc. they all go 100. If they go 100, we must run 130.....
Old 03-02-2002, 10:02 AM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

There has been some questionable results from PB Mag also. Who really knows what truth is. I too have seen boat owners not even come close or more importantly exceed the Magazines numbers. What is tuff is when the consumers take it as gospel and end up disapointed in there selection of boat/power. It makes it difficult. Me I just look at the pictures and advertising. I do not feel the Mags are an accurate reflection of reality in most cases. The same way with the car mags of the past. I get better info and tech questions answered here in a matter of minutes than I get from the stuff I read in the tech sections of these Mags. Canceled all subscriptions and have more money for fun. Get on OSO and find out what the real deal is. The Recent Typhoon thread is an example of speed numbers on most boats. Take those post and compare them to the stuff in your favorite magazine and see how close they are. Getting long, talk to you all soon. DMAN2
Old 03-02-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

Default Boat speed

Invest in a hand held GPS when you test drive you will know how fast it really is I test drove one boat that I was told was a 90 mph boat and I,ll be damed it did good to hit 70!!!!! The reply was well I did not know how fast it was your GPS must be off I have checked it before they are right on.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

I know this particular 31 AO and I've seen 132 on it's GPS. The same engine builder also built my engines. His dyno'd at about 900 each. (Mine were about 775 without correction).

Kenny Terbock's '91 Chris Cat (blown "800's" with bravos), which is the same basic hull as the AO, ran 133 in 2000 during the Lake of the Ozarks shootout. Those times are pretty accurate.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

The thing I get a kick out of is the size of the props they are spinning. They say they are spinning a 28 4 blade on a 500 hp at 5100 rpm at some rediculous speed and even I know that on that boat they would never turn that prop at the rpm quoted.

Quick Reply: Top Speed And Hot Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.