Charlie McCarthy - Top Writer/Top Banana >

Charlie McCarthy - Top Writer/Top Banana

Notices

Charlie McCarthy - Top Writer/Top Banana

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charlie McCarthy - Top Writer/Top Banana

What a cool article in Xtreme Boats Charlie - that was well so written I felt like I was there. What struck me as super interesting was your description of 188th Street and the Formula building -
Just the fact the Don built his own plant and had all that you described going on inside after only a couple of months of being involved in the game make it so clear that in only a year's time, more or less, he had already accopmlished more than most have ever accomplished in their entire boating lives. How lucky you were to experience that back then. That article was great.
PJ
Old 02-26-2020, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 47 Posts

Posted to wrong thread

Last edited by HOSSMAN; 02-26-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: wrong post
Old 02-27-2020, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Link to article please
Old 02-28-2020, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshore Dreamer
Link to article please

http://www.historicraceboats.com/art...me-2007-08.pdf
Old 02-28-2020, 12:39 AM
Registered

I wrote some articles for EXTREME Boat magazine more than 10 years ago.......here is a link to the California race in 1979.

https://www.historicraceboats.com/Extreme-2008-06.pdf
Old 02-28-2020, 12:42 AM
Registered

Here is another article from 2006 EXTREME Boat magazine, about the Miami to Bimini race of 1979.

http://www.historicraceboats.com/art...me-2006-12.pdf

Old 02-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Very cool TB!!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Such great articles

What an incredible by gone era. Running offshore in a 24ftr and winning against larger boats. I always said I may not have the fastest boat but I would drive faster. Lot of talk... I can only imagine what those races were like. I hope they good back Dr's. Racing, getting knocked out coming off an exceptionally large wave, kept going, dudes getting injured and bailing out of the boat while still on plane, what he hell! I so wish I was old enough at the time to be involved with that whole scene.
Mr. McCarthy is a treasure. I would love to sit down with him and here all the stories.
What an experience, what a life, what a man.

Last edited by Biff; 02-28-2020 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Adding more praise... And some more...
Old 02-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biff
What an incredible by gone era. Running offshore in a 24ftr and winning against larger boats. I always said I may not have the fastest boat but I would drive faster. Lot of talk... I can only imagine what those races were like. I hope they good back Dr's. Racing, getting knocked out coming off an exceptionally large wave, kept going, dudes getting injured and bailing out of the boat while still on plane, what he hell! I so wish I was old enough at the time to be involved with that whole scene.
Mr. McCarthy is a treasure. I would love to sit down with him and here all the stories.
What an experience, what a life, what a man.

No, no......I was helped by so many people, they are the ones who can take the credit. Sam Griffith was a full bird Colonel when he got out after WW2 and moved to Miami because he loved boats. He started...among other things....The Pelican Harbor Yacht club on NE 79th street and a little boat race that started and finished from there. It was called the Gold Coast Marathon. It was open to anything that floated and had a motor. From 13 foot Boston Whalers to 3 point hydroplanes. The race ran from 79th st in Miami to Palm Beach.....on the inside of the Intracoastal. Yes, over 100 MPH boats navigating the turns and sometimes dead ends of the wrong canals. Sam won that many times. When Offshore racing started.... Sam won the Miami Nassau multi times in basically sports fishing boats. He won the first Miami Nassau that raced with a deep vee hull (Bertram) and cut many hours off the record.

Brownie did his own engineering to win the Miami Nassau race with a 28 foot Donzi powered by two engines, driving through vee drives, to a single shaft and prop. Don Aronow one year, had a new boat at every race he ran, just to try out the many ideas that filled his head.
The list goes on and on. We had as our examples, our own fathers and uncles and neighbors who fought in the war and came back home with a new sense of Anything is Possible, just work hard and Never Give Up.

Keep it fun and just do it. There is a race from Palm Beach to West End in the Bahamas coming up the first weekend in June 2020. The boats race over one day and back the next. The entries will be limited in number, maybe only 5 or 6, but it is a start to re-create what was already there before. Back in the 60's it was called the Gateway Marathon. If anyone has a chance to be there, in Palm Beach, to see the boats leave or return, go and see what could be your own personal next item on your bucket list.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just want to say thanks to Charlie, yet again, for documenting in such great fashion an amazing lifetime of the stuff we all love here. Others lived it, but I don't anyone has ever "put it down on paper" as well as Charlie. I'm going with the "a treasure" comment as well.