Notices

Number Six refresh

Old 09-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When do you feel the need to refresh the drives? I have about 90 hours on mine, and figured they have a ways to go. Are you talking 200 hours it is absolutely necessary, or is it something you do to keep your reliablility high?
I kind of assumed with constant fluid changes, not running hard, they don't need a lot of work, am I wrong?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You never know. If you have a clearance a bit off, if you got just one very heavy gear loading and lifted a tiny portion of a gear face, that's all it takes to begin a downward spiral. Opening them up, reshimming & resealing is not a bad idea, compared to what broken gears, shafts and cases cost.

Refresh intervals are relative to how much power and how you use them. On a time vs. power chart, the curve wouldn't be a straight line. In other words, you don't get half the hours at 1200 hp that you would have with 600. Not a straight-line relationship. Compound that with the 3rd dimension of those unknowns like the occasional bad landing or the holeshot here & there and you complicate things even more.

100 hrs is a good interval for a non-raceboat.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You never know. If you have a clearance a bit off, if you got just one very heavy gear loading and lifted a tiny portion of a gear face, that's all it takes to begin a downward spiral. Opening them up, reshimming & resealing is not a bad idea, compared to what broken gears, shafts and cases cost.

Refresh intervals are relative to how much power and how you use them. On a time vs. power chart, the curve wouldn't be a straight line. In other words, you don't get half the hours at 1200 hp that you would have with 600. Not a straight-line relationship. Compound that with the 3rd dimension of those unknowns like the occasional bad landing or the holeshot here & there and you complicate things even more.

100 hrs is a good interval for a non-raceboat.
Makes sense
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Mercury Racing's dry sump six drive refresh program at X-Site test facility in Panama City, FL. X-Site contact number, 850-769-1011....................and BAM Marine in Pompano Beach, FL, does Mercury's tranny rebuild program.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
it's Craig Colabella
Collabella performance
407-498-0094

craig has more experience than anyone in the business. he was with merc racing back in the day when the six drive was first developed. plus his pricing is worth shipping to him.
Craig did mine last fall and I was very happy with his work. Great guy to do business with!!

Originally Posted by Dirty Bird
When do you feel the need to refresh the drives? I have about 90 hours on mine, and figured they have a ways to go. Are you talking 200 hours it is absolutely necessary, or is it something you do to keep your reliablility high?
I kind of assumed with constant fluid changes, not running hard, they don't need a lot of work, am I wrong?
Mine had 358 hours on them when they were gone through last fall.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Craig did mine last fall and I was very happy with his work. Great guy to do business with!!

Mine had 358 hours on them when they were gone through last fall.

-Pretty good life through a pair of 500's!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pit
We have a set that needs inspection/refreshen as well, Any recomendations for the Northeast area?
We have a full drive shop with all tooling from Alpha up to dry-sump six that is a much shorter drive for anyone in the Northeast than Florida. Our drive builder is a Mercury Master Tech.
705 487 7575
Old 09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered

www.Simmonsmarine.com located here in ohio, Races opa 20+ years experience, In high performance drives.

Last edited by 89scarabIII; 09-30-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Craig Colabella 407-498-0094 , St Cloud Fl........he ends up fixing alot of other peoples mistakes....30 years in the business of Mercury Drives.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
it's Craig Colabella
Collabella performance
407-498-0094

craig has more experience than anyone in the business. he was with merc racing back in the day when the six drive was first developed. plus his pricing is worth shipping to him.
Is he the one that does the bluprinting on the skegs,or subs it out?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Number Six refresh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.