Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked >

Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked

Notices

Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked

Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't we talk about Bayliner & their offshore racing performance? Really, MTI, Fountain, Cigarette, Skater, Outerlimits. None hold a candle to a Bayliner when it come to TRUE offshore performance.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Great questions and I have no problem answering.

Great questions and I respect your opinion.

The answer to your question is YES, people mention the race boats, kilo boat and cat killer all the time and like owning the same brand boats. I am not saying everybody but stats are stats. Reggie has for years bought more than 50% of the blue motors that come out of Mercury Racing so I would have to say he sells roughly 50% of the high performance offshore v's built. I will also bet dollars to donuts that if our competitors posted there financials Reggie would look great in comparison. It's a very intersting time and becasue he is public you are given the opportunity to critisize or other which I respect. If cats sold in the midwest, I would sell them. But seeing I have only seen one cat on the great lakes other than a poker run in five years I would say it's a challenge. We tried the MTI thing and it did not work even though I think it's the best value in a cat in the market place. I also have alot of respect for Randy Scism and the dealer he has chosen to sell his boats for him.

Reggie is the most passionate person in the industry when it comes to how he believes in his brand. Who else has succeeded for more than 27 years and owned a high performance boat company without EVER going belly up. He's a survivor and even if you don't like him or his product he needs to be respected for what he has done and his constant desire to be the best. You can't fault a man for wanting to win but can for the way they do it. Whether you agree or dis-agree Reggie often says he would rather die a "poor winner" than a "rich loser". He loves what he does and believe it or not, he has helped stimulate sales for other brands with some of his PR stunts.

You ask how much is Fountain stock? That could be asked of THOUSANDS of stocks on the market today. What stocks are performing? Hell, GOOGLE is almost down $100.00 in less than 10 days. I will assure you Reggie will have a good 2nd quarter fiscal and sell more boats in that 1/4 than his biggest competitors will in the next twelve months. Remember, BAJA was not in the mix LY and now he has those sales with less overhead and other changes.

I don't view it as argumentive or derogatory at all. You asked the question and I answered honestly.

Its like any other hobbies for some. If you want a frame off restored 69 Camaro buy it completed, don't buy it then turnaround and fault the person who spent the money to do it. It happens everyday in business. The great thing in this country is you have the opportuntiy to do it yourself. Alot of people have tried to build boats and so few have succeded but so many want to critique.

I can't build a boat and I will be the first one to stand up and admit it. What I do LOVE is selling the best and fastest v-bottom in the world and want to do it for many years to come.

Regards,

Scott Shogren

Originally Posted by db71
The question I have is with Fountain having the fastest V in KIlos and winning and sponsoring all these races is this what is truly affecting their money situation. Does anyone keep track how many people actually buy a fountain because of these events and these boats. I would be very willing to bet the return on investment is very minimal. Probably why they operate at a loss a lot of times. So in that being said this is mostly done because of ego. And if not careful could be the downfall of this company so in theory you could say if reggie doesn't control his ego fountain will not last.

Shogren,
Maybe I am wrong. Do you have people come in your showroom and ask for a fountain because of there race record or because one boat that looks nothing like the boat they are buying is the fastest V? Or Do they come in and look at fountains because they are maybe a little more affordable than some of the other brands? I'm pretty sure you are the largest fountain dealer so you would definatly know the answers to these questions. The question I would pose is if they can waste all this money on sponsorships and stuff like this they could just give you the boats 10% cheaper and you could sell more of them. I have 2 friends with fountains I asked them why and they said look at what I got for X price not look at thier race record. Imagine how many more you could sell at 10% less.

I am not trying to start something it just looks like from an outside perspective that this is not the best way to spend money.

I would also assume that the other builders do not see any return on investment in the idea of building a 1mil+ boat and spending another 1/2mil for support and probably another 5mil on design to run a Kilo. I'm very sure if you gave any V builder an unlimited budget for testing and design that they could build a V that is at least just as fast. I'm sure if they wanted a boat to go that fast anyone else would just design a cat.

How much is Fountain stock? Could I just buy it all or do they own most of it? I truly feel they have something no other boat manufacturer has in volume and value but I feel the powers at be there do not have what it takes to go to the next level. Maybe I could.

I know a lot of guys who build great houses but still cannot manage to make any money at it. I would compare this to Reggie is a great racer but doesn't mean he can manage the money well in a large company.

Ok I'm done for now.

Last edited by TeamShogren.com; 10-08-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you. I am still new to this industry (only 5 years) and want to stay involved and sell boats for many years to come. I appreciate your comments.

Team Shogren
www.chicagofountain.com

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Scott. Well said and you are a great ambassador of our sport and a credit to Fountain Powerboats. Reggie could learn a thing or two from you and I hope you will share your thoughts with him.

My biggest concern is your's as well and outlined in your last paragraph. Safety at the events we attend. The grand prix starts have become outright dangerous. Sending the boats out a couple at a time in intervals as has been done by FPC and PRA's 1,000 Islands PR the last couple of years seems to take the race out of it. The organisers, manufacturers and us as individuals have a huge stake in seeing that our events are safe, as well as fun.

All the best,

Bob
Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a tid bit of thinking out loud.

I hope (for Founain/Reggie's sake) that the vid never comes out. No matter what it will show, it wil prove why the "killers" where attending. For the Vid.. for the marketng,, not for a PR fun run.
Nothing agains Rio.. and Shogren. etc.. great bunch of guys.
BUT.. I dunked my boat in the same time Rio. I was next to them at the ramp (Saturday AM) No bikkini babes.. wifes.. girl friends etc. helping with the lines. etc... IT seemed to be like a typ Race, all business.
I like to see race boats.. Anywhere.
Keep the PR's a run.. and the races .. races. Each has it's own time and place.
Reggie needs to remember this. He has great succes in the racing world. No reason to screw up the PR environment. He tried.. he got the spanking he deserved.
I would have no problem if Fountain has a special custom PR addition, (just like some other boat Co's do) better have full coolers and a full load of passangers, with the appropriate Cert. of Ins. .. Tpy. for a Poker Run..
Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 AM

So what was the speeds being run?? nearly 300 posts and I am not even sure??

Again congrats Gino,

WILL
Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

I was just in the AMF/Turbine Marine Offices.

Let's just say I don't think we've heard the last from the Reggie and the Fountain factory on this subject.

Yikes
Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus
Hey Guys,

Let's just say I don't think we've heard the last from the Reggie and the Fountain factory on this subject.

Yikes
oh boy..... you can talk anyone into anything?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Maximus
Hey Guys,

Yikes

Hey Marc - I still have your keys!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Registered

Unfortunately we don't bring bikini babes with us. And if we look a little more serious at the ramp or dock than anyone else, it's because I come with my race crew that has been with the boat for years. We are still friendly and love to meet new people at the runs. And we are there to have FUN. Not RACE. I was 20th at the cut someone said earlier. Doesn't sound like I was racing, does it? I even left close to last.
I just enjoy running that boat and have the people with me that are the best in launching and recovery and making sure everything is ticking along all right. To me that is how I get my kicks at the poker runs. I can run as fast or slow as I want, no stress or dangers of tight competition on a closed course. I've done that for 20+ years. This is my relaxation.
I think bringing my boat adds a little bit of excitement and I get a lot of people stopping by to look inside and ask questions. I really enjoy that. Reggie was glad I was there because it's a famous Fountain. That's about all. Rio Roses is happy because they are a PRA sponsor. I was happy because I was running my boat.
That''s what it really is all about. To me. And it is really about how you are running and handling your boat. I am extremely experienced and have insurance, and run in an extremely safe manner, usually in the back of the pack. The guys who bring the bikini babes, load up with coolers and all their friends,they have having their kind of fun too. And that's great. We have different definitions of how to have fun. That's all.
I'm very proud of Rio and find it very satisfying to go to the poker runs with her. I hope to attend many more in the coming year and re-power her with regular gas motors as the race fuel is killing me.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by db71
The question I have is with Fountain having the fastest V in KIlos and winning and sponsoring all these races is this what is truly affecting their money situation. Does anyone keep track how many people actually buy a fountain because of these events and these boats. I would be very willing to bet the return on investment is very minimal. Probably why they operate at a loss a lot of times. So in that being said this is mostly done because of ego. And if not careful could be the downfall of this company so in theory you could say if reggie doesn't control his ego fountain will not last.
I think it has more to do with R&D. One thing Fountain has done is tweaked its design to gain a mph here and there. You know that if a Fountain is consistently setting records, then you know the latest technology is making it into the boats. Car company's do this a lot too with car racing. I doubt there is any direct correlation between setting a record and the number of boats Reggie sells, but it's all part of R&D as well as a marketing ploy.

Now, should testing be done at a PR? No, that should only be done on a close course.

Last edited by Big Time; 10-08-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.