Notices

How It Started

Old 03-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Lakeplay

Question How It Started

The answer to why we do some of the things we do.

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it.
Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it. Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted. Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey. After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here.

And that my dear friends, is how company policy begins...

Old 03-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you work in a zoo ???

Just messin witcha . Good stuff
Old 03-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Lakeplay

That's what I call where I work when I'm trying to be nice. Most times it's worse!

Old 03-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

The difference is that we can talk and ask each other WHY! Monkey's can't ask WHY, they just do as they are conditioned to act.

Company policy comes from CYA syndrome. Cover Your Ass.

If you do it the way it's always been done then you can't get in trouble. Someone needs to have enough balls to say, Hey that worked 10 years ago but now things are different and we need to look at how we are doing things. Lets talk it through. Hence conversation can break conditioning.

That was a good case study.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

That sounds like a bunch of money buisness if you ask me.