Well It is time for a change-Poker Runs and Racing >

Well It is time for a change-Poker Runs and Racing

Notices

Well It is time for a change-Poker Runs and Racing

Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
The pace chopper sounds interesting!! With the limits on speed and the no pass ruling, that just may remove the push by some to take the unnecessary risk by cutting corners and getting too close to spectators in order to be the first to the 1st stop. You remove the ability to have the 1st one to the 1st stop bragging rights.

Plus an extra eye in the sky concentration on nothing but the route ahead and the runners positioning can only be positive.

Ditto, I replied to Bob's post in the other thread (before it was closed) in a very similar manner. (actually almost word for word. Are you plagiarizing me?? J/K)
Old 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Yes, and it doesn't mean that the carnage will always occur at the front of the pack.... What about the guy in the single engine 28' boat holding it wide open trying to keep up with the pack...in the washing machine water??? He was miles behind the helicopter and probably more of a "risk"
My concept was not intended to address the guys at the back of the pack just the ones way out front. For clarity, the pace helicopter is for the extreme class only but no reason it couldn't be expanded to other classes but will come down to dollars I'm sure. I have seen the situation you describe many times and often the guys at the back of the pack they look like they are hanging on for dear life but are having more fun than the guys with the serious faces up front. LOL I think with them it's a matter of getting them to follow the rules as well.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The pace chopper is a good idea. I'm still on the page where poker runs in lakes and rivers need a speed limit and just do a seperate shootout. Loto seems to do it close to right.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobthebuilder
i think with them it's a matter of getting them to follow the rules as well.
exactly!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
FPC already charges a Safety Fee, and it is scaled by speed class....
Oh, and Stu has a speed cut off for boats with people in the back seat... I think that is a huge factor there.... How about that video of the girl in the back seat of the Pace Boat at Lake Cumberland??? My honest opinion was they were running too hard for her to be in the boat. (she was very concerned with loosing her hat). The two guys up front had no trouble at all and had good communication...but they could have ejected her and possibly wouldn't even have known it.
I agree. Yes Stu is very safety conscious and does a good job running his events. I do not envy him trying to keep over 100 cowboys in line. LOL I am not right up on what all his safety fee covers but I think it involves helicopters and maybe he can look at re configuring things to put one up front as I'm suggesting without any additional cost.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a thought how about more shootout style events like loto, no wake zones saftey areas for spectators. works well at loto
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skaterjim
just a thought how about more shootout style events like loto, no wake zones saftey areas for spectators. works well at loto
Great idea! But when? If most runs are on Sat would it be held on Fri? Just thinking about spectators and the people that can't afford to get there earlier than Fri night. Also thinking it would need a separate entry fee due to permits and insurance. Would it really deter people from going balls out on the pokerrun still?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

The guys that are running fast in these events enjoy running their boats thats why they do it thats why we all buy fast boats,that will never change. then if poker runs had a more reasonable 100 mph speed limit and a shootout style race it should make all happy and safe. 60 mph is to slow! to set that type of event up in a weekend would be a challange but I am sure there is a way. Maybe grudge runs 2 at a time would speed it up.Like I said its a thought.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I understand the idea of the pace helicopter but not sure I love the idea.

I like the idea if running all out for part of the course, we need to figure out a way to keep it fun but safe.

The format that Desert storm has is good if its enforced and maybe some minor tweaks.

Have a pace boat until you get into open water where its easy to control the spectators and clear the area. Then set up a area like the shootout that everyone can safely open it up with a finish line before the actual card stop.

Also require proper safety equipment. Loto does that for the shootout and it works. I am pretty sure the right gear could have saved lives.

MP
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Registered

So high speed & also the guys running in the back. I've also noticed a bunch of Center Consoles this year at events as well. They're usually packed 8-12 deep and trying to break 100MPH with everyone hanging on for dear life, so what's the solution? I like the chopper idea, but believe it should be for the first run group and possibly the second depending on speeds. Wear your jacket, wear your lanyard, drove sober, drive offensively and be prepared to slow down and get off the sticks/stick. Also, if you can't make a safe, evasive maneuver then you're going too fast.

Btw, I wear my seatbelt while driving everyday, not because it's the law. I wear it because I know **** happens no matter what I do to avoid it. If I drive faster **** may happen faster or because I drove faster I avoided an accident 20 seconds ago that I could've been involved in. Who knows? The Man upstairs and that's what it all comes down to!

Quick Reply: Well It is time for a change-Poker Runs and Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.