Notices

Trip of a Lifetime!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Trip of a Lifetime!

So, after reading the thread about the guys who took the trip on the pontoon boat, I thought that was one of the coolest ideas ever. Here is a link to the original thread. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=196593

So I graduate next fall from university, and most people go traveling to Europe of wherever, but that doesn't really peak my interest. Something like this seems way more fun to me. If I only wanted to take about a month or so to go from one place, to another, and back to my original location, where would a good place to start and end be? How much would it cost? If three guys went, and they had a 10K budget for fuel, food, and other expenses, would that be enough? Or how much would be enough? I would want to trailer the boat from Toronto to our starting location, and back home after the trip.

Let's hear some thoughts and experiences!!

Boat is a 2006 Larson Senza 206 with a 5.0 270hp Volvo Penta. I tried to do some research on fuel consumption, but had little luck finding that info.
Attached Thumbnails Trip of a Lifetime!-dsc00041-2-.jpg   Trip of a Lifetime!-dsc00094.jpg   Trip of a Lifetime!-dsc00089.jpg  

Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, just an opinion, but you need to make this real.
Cut the one month thing, it'll just take however long it takes.
All you need is a starting point. And a first destination.
After you make it to the first destination, you decide where to head next - this is where the locals can help out telling you what's near, and what you should go see/stay away from.
10K?? don't go into it on a budget. just go, and keep going until the money runs out.
Don't turn around and come back to the same place you launched. Make one of your buddies that stayed back drive your truck/trailer to wherever you wind up, and take your happy azzes back home.
Take a tent and sleeping bags, you may not always be able to find a room, and you'll just have to make do.
Make it a real adventure, IE just go do it with no real destination.
This isn't the sort of thing you use a travel agent for.
This is one of your last chances to be young and completely irresponsible - you better make it count.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
OK, just an opinion, but you need to make this real.
Cut the one month thing, it'll just take however long it takes.
All you need is a starting point. And a first destination.
After you make it to the first destination, you decide where to head next - this is where the locals can help out telling you what's near, and what you should go see/stay away from.
10K?? don't go into it on a budget. just go, and keep going until the money runs out.
Don't turn around and come back to the same place you launched. Make one of your buddies that stayed back drive your truck/trailer to wherever you wind up, and take your happy azzes back home.
Take a tent and sleeping bags, you may not always be able to find a room, and you'll just have to make do.
Make it a real adventure, IE just go do it with no real destination.
This isn't the sort of thing you use a travel agent for.
This is one of your last chances to be young and completely irresponsible - you better make it count.
that is amazing advice , you are 100% correct on all fronts especially keep going till you run out of money and pre arange for one of your buddies to come get you , this surley will enable you to go futher and experience more , and the trip home always sucks anyway and usually you can't wait for it to be over
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

well its a great platform for reliability, you just cant beat a Volvo sterndrive package.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by maritaltension
pre arange for one of your buddies to come get you , this surley will enable you to go futher and experience more , and the trip home always sucks anyway and usually you can't wait for it to be over
Yes, that is a key part.
When the buddy asks when and where he's picking you up, you just tell him "We'll give you a call when we get there". Keep in touch with him to let him know where you're at, and where you're headed next, but just keep going.
If he knows, and even worse, you know, that there is a certain place you need to be at a certain time/date, that will take all the REAL fun out of this trip.
If you're like 99% of us, you're only going to have one shot at doing this. You better do it right.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
If he knows, and even worse, you know, that there is a certain place you need to be at a certain time/date, that will take all the REAL fun out of this trip.
Couldnt agree more on that!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Before I went to college In 1992, I went on a motorcycle ride around the country. I left Northern Michigan through the Windsor tunnel to Canada
Toronto, Montreal, Quebec - Spent some days with friends
Portland, Maine
Boston
Back across New York ( long State)
Chicago - met a good friend from the Twin Cities MN
St. Louis - We Did the arch and met 2 other friends from NC & Fl
We all rode out Colorado and stayed with another friend
We camped & rafted for a few days. as they were all married & I was not, they went back home and I continued West on my own.
I rode from Denver to Las Vegas non-stop, noon til 6am the next day. Stayed with a cousin in Vegas for 2 days. Then...
Headed to LA through Death Valley - 120 degrees
Rode US 1 to SF - Nice
Modesto then Yosemite
Reno
Woke up in Nebraska on monday Morning, 3 weeks after I left Michigan, the day I was to return to work. I made a phone call to the Boss, told him I'ld be back maybe Wednesday. Hope I have a Job, If not it was worth it.
Stayed with Grandma in the Quad cities
Got home Tuesday night late.
Very Tired and a very sore Azz. 3-1/2 weeks 9800 miles on a '84 Honda Nighthawk 700S
Swam in both Oceans before I came back home.

Many told me to not go. But one said "Most people work their whole lives for things they could only enjoy when they were young"
I will always remember that ride ( well some of it anyways)

You should leave Toronto head to the Alantic around Florida & Key west, Go up the Mississippi and find away back into the Great Lakes , Either Michigan or Erie.

OR Just Hit all the Lakes in one Trip.

Good Luck & Have Fun

Last edited by Shawn D; 10-14-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered

The lesson from Homer was, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. All the above suggestions were excellent. Maybe you should try a loop trip. For example one trip I would like to do is to leave from Stuart Fl., head into Lake Okeechobee across to Ft. Myers down to Naples, through the Keys to Key West, back up the ocean side of the Keys to Miami, then back up to Stuart. This way you never pass the same port twice.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

Take our advice.
I'm willing to bet the rest of us are at least 15 yrs older than you (I'm probably almost 20) and we're all chomping at the bit to do something like this.
I'm telling you, you only have one shot to do this and do it right.
Document it, and we can all live vicariously through you.
DON'T plan it, but have a good safe trip.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AH357
The lesson from Homer was, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. All the above suggestions were excellent. Maybe you should try a loop trip. For example one trip I would like to do is to leave from Stuart Fl., head into Lake Okeechobee across to Ft. Myers down to Naples, through the Keys to Key West, back up the ocean side of the Keys to Miami, then back up to Stuart. This way you never pass the same port twice.
This reminds me of a solo trip I did in the mid 90's in my Top Gun when I did not have as much free time:
Friday Day 1 - Catch 6:30 am flight, Toronto to Miami. Drive rental car 2 hrs to Marco Island. Jump in waiting Top Gun at 1 PM and up the west coast of FL to Ft Myers entering Caloosahatchee River. Make Clewiston on L. Okeechobee by dark.
Saturday Day 2 - Continue east on Okeechobee Waterway to Stuart and down the east coast and overnight at Pier 66, Ft. Lauderdale.
Sunday Day 3 - Continue south down to the Keys, cross Florida Bay and up the west coast of FL to Marco by 4pm. Jump in rental car and drive to Miami airport in time to catch 7 PM flt. back to Toronto.
Guy on plane sitting next to me says: And just what do you do to relax? Never did figure that one out. !! LOL

Quick Reply: Trip of a Lifetime!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.