Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
oh no!!! lit the truck on fire >

oh no!!! lit the truck on fire

Notices

oh no!!! lit the truck on fire

Old 03-08-2002, 11:00 PM
loosecannon22

Default oh no!!! lit the truck on fire

Oh boy, here we go, I was trying to fix a problem with a hot starting problem on my 88 ford f350 ( it wont start when its hot, the timing goes way advanced and no one knows why) and i fudgied with some wires and the next time i tried to start it whoosh!!!!! lots of smoke and the tach stoped working. great, The boat is hooked to the back of it and now its an inferno of smoke. well, i got that problem solved, turn the key to off, but I have to out tomorrow, 85 and sunny. anyone know why a ford would try to advance itself during start up??
I have determined this by taking off the starter wire off from the soloind while it is running and putting the key to the start position and watching the timing go through the roof. help me.
please i live where its always hot and I cant take it anymore

Old 03-08-2002, 11:39 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that a dually or not? how doe sshe tow? how much weight are tyou pulling? how big of a boat? I am considering an 87 non dualy diesel (just for towing) and wantd to hear some opinions
Old 03-09-2002, 07:36 AM
Registered

i would be intersted in this answer too trying to fix a long term problem with the same thing on an 86 ford. no real pattern to when it happens just whenever it feels like being a pain in the azz
Old 03-09-2002, 07:47 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My first guess would be a bad distributer. They do not have crank pick ups that early. My 87 was fuel injected so I am assuming your is as well???? What motor? They do not have crank pick ups that early so the only place that I can think of it the distributer. Also check as you already are your wiring. Check the plug going into the computer I had problems with mind there. Also check all the grounds I had problems there as well. I redid a lot of the wiring in my truck including the fuel pump circuit. That was always a week point in those trucks. Good luck.

Jon
Old 03-09-2002, 08:01 AM
loosecannon22

mine is a crew cab dually with a fresh 460 in it. yes it is injected. It will pull anything but I only get about 8 mpg. and thats weather i am towing or not. i pull my 22 scarab around so it is overkill but i got it cheap (the truck). I dont mind the truck but the wiring is a pain if there is something wrong with it.
well I am off to the water, the truck runs. and even starts when its cold so you guys have a fun day.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:27 AM
packinair

well that's not to bad, I was @ glassdaves shop a few years ago under the corvette using the cutting wheel and caught my shirt on fire.. now that was funny

Old 03-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Audio, It may be the distributer. A few years ago we had an 86 F150 w/ 351m. The gear and keyway on the bottom of the distribter was sloppy, we had the same thing going on. Or, I think it still has the weghts and springs in ther as well, they may be simply sticking.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am not mistaken there is a circuit in the ign module that retards or advances timing on startup. If you check the wiring diagram or pin check the module you will likely find a feed that is energized when the key is turned to "start". I suspect if the timing is advancing too far only when starting it is because this circuit has failed. You might want to swap in a new module and see what happens.
Old 03-09-2002, 07:24 PM
loosecannon22

thanks, that is my next thing to do. well it worked ok for the day, just got back from the boat and bo am I sunburnt.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

Try doing a search on Westech auto tech board, they have a lot of questions and answers.

I need a IOAC valve for my F350, but have not put it on yet.