Accident at Hot Toddy Run. -Mechanical Failure- >

Accident at Hot Toddy Run. -Mechanical Failure-

Notices

Accident at Hot Toddy Run. -Mechanical Failure-

Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cauzmik
I know this question has been raised before and a lot of people shot it down for obvious reasons but should seat belts be implemented in boats?

Sad, My prayers to the Fam
Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear

In a canopy boat Absolutely Yes
the boat goes over and they bounce like a ping pong ball without restraint

Tethers always
Life jackets always when on plane (i didnt used to think that way ) Mechanical problems can happen at any time at speed, so it is prudent when running at speed to wear one
Old 10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear

Tethers always
Life jackets always when on plane (i didnt used to think that way ) Mechanical problems can happen at any time at speed, so it is prudent when running at speed to wear one
I have to agree with you on all of the points and wearing a life jacket, seems to be something that we all don't really do , whether it is a mocho thing or it is uncomfortable in the heat, but they do safe lifes and no one know if they will have a machanically problem. If my guest don't want to wear one, I guess they won't be going on the boat.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tethers always
Well put, I just wanted to see if the consensus changed...
Old 10-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to family and friends.

I know the Kirk the boat builder, I know the guys who race this brand, and I drove one of the race boats back in 98.

I this truly was a mechanical failure, as suggested in an earlier post, lets make sure we fully understand what happened, and work to prevent or minimize it from ever occurring again.

We have lost too many, this season.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

More sad news. Our condolences to the family.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Registered

How about using the Poker Run Lap belts from Tiger. These are velcro fastened, not buckle type. See the link and scroll to page 8. Also, didn't I see that Reggie is installing belts in the sit down seats on the 42 poker run edition boat. My idea with the lap belts (velcro) is in keeping the person in the seat only for rough boating only. Am I to believe that your comments on the open cockpit and no restraints is for the dangers with having the boat upside down in the water? Please explain.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
How about using the Poker Run Lap belts from Tiger. These are velcro fastened, not buckle type. See the link and scroll to page 8. Also, didn't I see that Reggie is installing belts in the sit down seats on the 42 poker run edition boat. My idea with the lap belts (velcro) is in keeping the person in the seat only for rough boating only. Am I to believe that your comments on the open cockpit and no restraints is for the dangers with having the boat upside down in the water? Please explain.
Yes up sidown and straped in you are done most likley

I have used the tiger strap sitting in the back of a Fast cat years ago and it was only becuse there was nothing to hold on to sitting in the middle All i could think of was trying to get out if i we went over very very scary won't do it again

As far as Reggie and his sit downs with belts I understand the thinking but disagree with having them in an open boat
I heard he had put 5 point in some pleasure open boats, to me that is just not smart
Old 10-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered

by the way the fix for my riding in a boat with a velcro strap would for the owner to have instaled hold handles or strapes (the later arent as good as they can break)
Old 10-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some guys wear helmets. This is probably a good idea. Bad enough getting ejected, but with a helmet you could reduce the possibility of a head injury. And your chances are greatly improved. Performance boating is a dangerous sport and when you push the limits you need to have as much safety equipment as possible. Life jackets are a must as is the safety lanyard. Also you need to know when to back off the throttles. These runs that we do are not a race. Doesn't matter if your first or last. It's just for fun. No prize just pride. So swallow your pride and make sure everyone is safe.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes up sidown and straped in you are done most likley

I have used the tiger strap sitting in the back of a Fast cat years ago and it was only becuse there was nothing to hold on to sitting in the middle All i could think of was trying to get out if i we went over very very scary won't do it again

As far as Reggie and his sit downs with belts I understand the thinking but disagree with having them in an open boat
I heard he had put 5 point in some pleasure open boats, to me that is just not smart

I agree. If the boat is gonna roll, I don't want to go along for the ride like a limp rag doll. If it's gonna skid along on it's deck, I don't want to be a human rudder. If it ends up upside down, I'd rather be float'n near by heads up.

Quick Reply: Accident at Hot Toddy Run. -Mechanical Failure-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.