Like Tree0Likes

Accident at Hot Toddy Run. -Mechanical Failure-

Reply
Old 10-19-2008, 12:52 PM
  #71
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cauzmik View Post
I know this question has been raised before and a lot of people shot it down for obvious reasons but should seat belts be implemented in boats?

Sad, My prayers to the Fam
Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear

In a canopy boat Absolutely Yes
the boat goes over and they bounce like a ping pong ball without restraint


Tethers always
Life jackets always when on plane (i didnt used to think that way ) Mechanical problems can happen at any time at speed, so it is prudent when running at speed to wear one
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
  #72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme View Post
Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear

In a canopy boat Absolutely Yes
the boat goes over and they bounce like a ping pong ball without restraint


Tethers always
Life jackets always when on plane (i didnt used to think that way ) Mechanical problems can happen at any time at speed, so it is prudent when running at speed to wear one
I have to agree with you on all of the points and wearing a life jacket, seems to be something that we all don't really do , whether it is a mocho thing or it is uncomfortable in the heat, but they do safe lifes and no one know if they will have a machanically problem. If my guest don't want to wear one, I guess they won't be going on the boat.
AB From Windsor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
  #73
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1000 Islands & Florida
My Boats: "Liquid Asset"
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme View Post
Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear

In a canopy boat Absolutely Yes
the boat goes over and they bounce like a ping pong ball without restraint


Tethers always
Life jackets always when on plane (i didnt used to think that way ) Mechanical problems can happen at any time at speed, so it is prudent when running at speed to wear one
Well put, I just wanted to see if the consensus changed...
cauzmik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 PM
  #74
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
AppSysCons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
My Boats: CURR: 230LX, PREV:2007 30 Skater, 2003 36 Skater,1998 37 OuterLimits, B-Class race 28 Magnum
Posts: 2,116
Default

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to family and friends.

I know the Kirk the boat builder, I know the guys who race this brand, and I drove one of the race boats back in 98.

I this truly was a mechanical failure, as suggested in an earlier post, lets make sure we fully understand what happened, and work to prevent or minimize it from ever occurring again.

We have lost too many, this season.
AppSysCons is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:15 PM
  #75
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
ACTIVESHACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Aspen, CO
My Boats: 2007 37' Active Thunder SOLD
Posts: 3,203
Default

More sad news. Our condolences to the family.
ACTIVESHACK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:29 PM
  #76
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Michigan
My Boats: 1998 Awesome 31 Thundercat
Posts: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme View Post
Absolutely not in an open boat The boat goes over they will not stand a chance of getting out or thrown clear
How about using the Poker Run Lap belts from Tiger. These are velcro fastened, not buckle type. See the link and scroll to page 8. Also, didn't I see that Reggie is installing belts in the sit down seats on the 42 poker run edition boat. My idea with the lap belts (velcro) is in keeping the person in the seat only for rough boating only. Am I to believe that your comments on the open cockpit and no restraints is for the dangers with having the boat upside down in the water? Please explain.
ROTAX454 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
  #77
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTAX454 View Post
How about using the Poker Run Lap belts from Tiger. These are velcro fastened, not buckle type. See the link and scroll to page 8. Also, didn't I see that Reggie is installing belts in the sit down seats on the 42 poker run edition boat. My idea with the lap belts (velcro) is in keeping the person in the seat only for rough boating only. Am I to believe that your comments on the open cockpit and no restraints is for the dangers with having the boat upside down in the water? Please explain.
Yes up sidown and straped in you are done most likley

I have used the tiger strap sitting in the back of a Fast cat years ago and it was only becuse there was nothing to hold on to sitting in the middle All i could think of was trying to get out if i we went over very very scary won't do it again

As far as Reggie and his sit downs with belts I understand the thinking but disagree with having them in an open boat
I heard he had put 5 point in some pleasure open boats, to me that is just not smart
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:52 PM
  #78
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

by the way the fix for my riding in a boat with a velcro strap would for the owner to have instaled hold handles or strapes (the later arent as good as they can break)
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:40 PM
  #79
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Island New York
My Boats: 2005 Nordic Heat
Posts: 755
Default

Some guys wear helmets. This is probably a good idea. Bad enough getting ejected, but with a helmet you could reduce the possibility of a head injury. And your chances are greatly improved. Performance boating is a dangerous sport and when you push the limits you need to have as much safety equipment as possible. Life jackets are a must as is the safety lanyard. Also you need to know when to back off the throttles. These runs that we do are not a race. Doesn't matter if your first or last. It's just for fun. No prize just pride. So swallow your pride and make sure everyone is safe.
raytart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
  #80
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
scarab kv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer
My Boats: 85 Scarab 377 Miami Vice #2 series boat, 86 Scarab KV Vice Edition/Snap-On Tools, 86 Scarab KV Vice Edition, 87 Scarab 1 George Barris Mini Vice
Posts: 629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme View Post
Yes up sidown and straped in you are done most likley

I have used the tiger strap sitting in the back of a Fast cat years ago and it was only becuse there was nothing to hold on to sitting in the middle All i could think of was trying to get out if i we went over very very scary won't do it again

As far as Reggie and his sit downs with belts I understand the thinking but disagree with having them in an open boat
I heard he had put 5 point in some pleasure open boats, to me that is just not smart

I agree. If the boat is gonna roll, I don't want to go along for the ride like a limp rag doll. If it's gonna skid along on it's deck, I don't want to be a human rudder. If it ends up upside down, I'd rather be float'n near by heads up.
scarab kv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
skaterjim
Poker Runs and Boating Events
53
11-07-2007 08:58 PM
ActiveFun
General Boating Discussion
3
10-03-2007 05:54 PM
tripps
Superboat
41
10-06-2005 02:54 PM
tuffenuff355
Banana Boat
0
09-28-2005 07:16 PM
activator
General Boating Discussion
0
10-06-2004 11:34 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.