Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive? >

Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive?

Notices

Best way to winterize when you have low water pick-up on the drive?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
careful if you are running thermostats, be sure engine is up to temp -- thermos are open. You might see anti freeze come out the tail pipes and still have 100% water in the block otherwise.
It is always good to pull the drain plugs from everywhere in order to allow flushing of any sand or crud that has gotten stuck in the water jackets over the year too.
I first loosen the block plugs and water seperator to finger tite. I get mine up to temp on the hose, shut it off, quickly take out the finger tite plugs, drain block, dump separator and add 2 stroke oil, replace plugs, switch my home-made Tvalves from water to the tank of antifreeze on swim step, restart engine and run 10 gallons or more of antifreeze until the motor bobbles or dies from the 2stroke oil.

I do it this way to avoid pulling hoses. Bye the way I have 3 bypass holes in my 126* thermistat. So...even if the tstat did not open my block would fill with antifreeze. I also place a large storage tub below the drive to catche antifreeze that leakes from the boot on the drive. Next year I think I will rig up some kind of flexible tubing on the exhaust to direct the discharged antifreeze into the storage tub also....It kills your grass like roundup!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
WOW, we never put AT in the motor.

I heard it can damage it if sitting in there????????????

But dont know ,just curius ! Dont get put on a wrong track from me.

You can always bring your boat to FLORIDA, it dont freeze here.
anti freeze is loaded with corrosion inhibitors. It doesn't eat holes in your trucks engine block does it?