Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/197495-yamaha-raptor-700-ltz-400-anyone.html)

288sunny 10-19-2008 09:41 AM

yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???

Just curious if anyone on here owns and rides either of these 4 wheelers. Im thinking of buying one and just wanted some opinions and thoughts? Im sure both are good and ill enjoy either, but which is more worthy?

288sunny 10-19-2008 09:44 AM

4 wheelers

feel free to post some pics as well, and also i know the raptor is fuel injected which makes modding really easy, are mods for the LTZ 400 just as easy?

tblrklakemo 10-19-2008 09:48 AM

I ride a YZ......but i do go with a couple quads from time to time. All of them have, and swear by, 450's. They are very fast...even stock. And very nimble. Two suzukis to be exact...one is not stock. From the drag races ive seen they will take the bigger raptor too. This is just my opinion.....but im on two wheels.

liquidcolors 10-19-2008 10:10 AM

I have a 06 raptor 700 se yellow with all the bolt ons from polished rims to fmf pipe nerfbars ect.bike only has around 15hrs very clean bought in 07 and we had a baby girl a year ago and bike has been sitting in a buddys wharehouse eversince,I have around 11k invested and looking to get around $4800,if interested call 904-626-5255 justin jax.fl

Aqua Nut 10-19-2008 10:19 AM

Raptor 700

I have both the 700 and the YFZ 450. The Raptor is easier to ride and doesn't need to be shifted as often. The 700 just pulls hard in any gear and feels more comfortable on longer rides. With a power programer you can just plug in a laptop and change the jetting in seconds. I switch back and forth between my stock pipe or GYTR pipe depending on where I ride. (I put the stock pipe on to be quiet) It;s nice to just plug in the laptop and change jetting for pipe air box mods ext. The YFZ 450 spanks the 700 in a drag race! It's lighter and feels more responsive but you have to work more while ridding it (shift more) but it does reward you with better performance. The suspension feels stiffer and the seat is thinner so not as comfortable as the 700. Of course the new YFZ450R is comming out in a couple months and now that is fuel injected and will be easy to rejet too. Im a Yamaha fan and the new 700 is hard to beat. it's my favorite bike next to the ported high-rev Banshee running on race fuel. But that bike hurts to ride it's so brutal but so worth the pain.

HIMES(JAIME) 10-19-2008 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Aqua Nut (Post 2719729)
I have both the 700 and the YFZ 450. The Raptor is easier to ride and doesn't need to be shifted as often. The 700 just pulls hard in any gear and feels more comfortable on longer rides. With a power programer you can just plug in a laptop and change the jetting in seconds. I switch back and forth between my stock pipe or GYTR pipe depending on where I ride. (I put the stock pipe on to be quiet) It;s nice to just plug in the laptop and change jetting for pipe air box mods ext. The YFZ 450 spanks the 700 in a drag race! It's lighter and feels more responsive but you have to work more while ridding it (shift more) but it does reward you with better performance. The suspension feels stiffer and the seat is thinner so not as comfortable as the 700. Of course the new YFZ450R is comming out in a couple months and now that is fuel injected and will be easy to rejet too. Im a Yamaha fan and the new 700 is hard to beat. it's my favorite bike next to the ported high-rev Banshee running on race fuel. But that bike hurts to ride it's so brutal but so worth the pain.

very well said, i also ride or around these three yamaha bikes. I am 5'10'' 230, and the yfz450 feels alittle small and very uncomfortable compared to the 700raptor. Someone also stated the yfz requires more maintnance, which we also found out. One buddy has Suzuki 450, and so far no problems, a couple others are ready to trade yfz for suzuki which are both geared toward being out of the box track bikes. I do 75% of my riding on sand, so I prefer my old 87 stroked BANSHEE, and RAPTOR for the dirt or best all around. Hope this helps you. Jaime

Aqua Nut 10-19-2008 11:25 AM

ATV Scene

http://www.atvscene.com/machines/suzuki/lineup_091.html
Here is the 2009 Suzuki line up

http://www.atvscene.com/machines/yam...z450r_091.html
Here is the 2009 YFZ

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...9/0/specs.aspx
Specs on the 2009 Raptor

Yamaha keeps refining the 450 and makes major changes each year. I commend them on thier development and leadership. They seem to listen to what the consumer wants and deliver. They kept the Banshee alive when all the other companies seemed to abandon the sport market and I have been loyal ever since. I still have my ole 86 ATC 250R though and it will always have a special place in my garage.

03darkshadow 10-19-2008 01:16 PM

they both have reverse which is good, the yfz450 does not. i personally love reverse, i'll never own one without it :drink: im lazy.

it does have some to do with how much you want to spend and how much you will ride it. If you will ride more and can spend more, go for the 700, otherwise the LTZ is a cheap way in and it has plenty of power.

Uncle Dave 10-19-2008 03:08 PM

No Contest

I have a seasons riding on both- The Raptor 700 is THE best all around quad available. The only time Id pick the 400 over the raptor is If I rode in the woods only.

Duning on a raptor 700 is an experience and unmatchable by anything nostalia has to offer. Ive had every imaginable dirt bike and yes the stage 4 banshee with a long rod kit was awesome- but for 8/10ths riding I ll take the raptor over even my kawi 450 everytime.

In the big dunes the ease that you can ride a 700 is just pure sex- come around a corner facing a 50ft wall- roll it on (gear doesnt rally matter) your up! brakes are great seat is a pleasure cushion, gearbox is nice, - t is heavy though but it masks its weight superbly.

Get the 700- you will not be dissapoited and anyone in your group from your kids to your mom can ride it and have fun.

Go check out my new boat in the laveycraft forum!

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan

rjcardinal 10-20-2008 04:48 PM

One more vote for the Raptor. I have an 05 660R Raptor and its a great quad. I have ridden the 700's and they handle much better right out of the box. You really cant beat the large motor on the Raptors for sport riding. They have so much torque it doesnt require a lot of shifting to stay in the power band. Just make sure you are pointed in the right direction hit the gas and go. Yamaha took care of all the 660 Raptor problems when they came out with the 700's. A bone stock 700 performs like my modded 660.

Looks like I cant upload any pics since I no longer pay here.

Ron