Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Quit your job and boat for a living! >

Quit your job and boat for a living!

Notices

Quit your job and boat for a living!

Old 03-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Wildfire

Default Quit your job and boat for a living!

Anybody know where to find a job like that?

Seriously, I have got to do something different. Cashing paychecks is great and all. But what if I could do something "fun" and still get paid for it?

I saw where Sharkeymarine had something come along for Travis, and wondered if anybody else knew of anything out there. We are most willing to relo to Florida or just about anywhere south.

PS, if you are my boss or know him, I'm just kidding. NOT!

Old 03-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Intolerant1

We are always looking for more cops. Thers a major shortage right now. Get to carry a gun, drive fast, even ride motorcycles and in some places...boats!

Old 03-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Cain Crew

Hey wildfire...If you find something let me know! We are looking to relocate also...If you want to buy a marina in western ny let me know...going to move south just a matter of when...

Old 03-10-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw a specail on boating show, merc hires drivers to test their new engines out. 8hrs a day of going fast
Old 03-10-2002, 08:42 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

velocity,

I saw that same show and i said to myself, self that would be the ultimate job.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Registered

WILDFIRE.....it all sounds great. But really stop and give it alot of thought.
STORY......... A friend wanted to do the same thing along with wanting a special kind of boat. So he decided to start a "marina" or a boat sales business (He lives in the middle of a mountain range ) He had to buy 3 boats as a minimum purchase. Then it all started ...he boated like a fool for 2 years...now he has a land locked boat sales business that he hates and does not do anymore boating......NUFF SAID
Old 03-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Jenn said get your captains License and do charters and deliveries. I have a budy that does it and he loves it. Boats every day and gets to spend his summers in Nantucket and his winters in Tortola. Man some times I wonder if I am doing the right thing

Jon
Old 03-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Wildfire

Thanks for all the good input so far. I really appreciate your comments.

I hadn't considered getting a license and doing deliveries. What does it take to get into it? And what is a normal day like? Is it independant contract work or does one use an "agent"? Is their some source of info that I can contact, like an association or something?

I was originally thinking of going to work for one of the manufacturers in sales, operations or engineering. I have good experience and formal education in all three. This could be either a boat builder, engine company, accessories, whatever. I just want to be in the industry.

To me, it is more fun to build them and see the first-hand results of your efforts than to jump into something someone else has put together and just be the driver.

Old 03-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I started a business doing something I enjoyed as a hobby. It went well, turned into a business and now I'm not interested in it as ahobby anymore, because it's not FUN, it's WORK. And a lot of work.

Once you go through something like that, you begin to realize there is work that you must do and hobbies you do for fun. I've come to realize, don't try to make your hobbies what you do, or you could possibly take the fun out of it. Either by making it a lot or work and no longer enjoy it, or by doing something that might put you in a position worse than you were in if it doesn't work out like you expect, whether it's a job or your own venture.

However, some have started businesses, taken jobs where they did what they liked to do for fun and still enjoy it. I'm not one of those types of people, but there are many doign this.

I think you need to first assess if you are one of those people, or like me and it would take all the enjoyment out of it. I won't sell boats, or golf clubs, or work somewhere where they do. remember the old Cheers episode where Norm got the job as a beer taste tester?

Just another perspective for you to think about.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Registered

Default Fantasy Job

What a dream job.

Quick Reply: Quit your job and boat for a living!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.