Notices

Alm. Blocks

Old 10-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alm. Blocks

For you experienced engine guys out there ... What would be the pro's and con's of using a all aluminun motor in fresh water. Except for the price. Would they have as much durrability as iron blocks in a N/A 598 or 632. Would the weight saveings be notable in a twin 40 ft V
Old 11-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Registered

This came up awhile back, the general consensus was that if it was a good idea, all of the major engine builders would be doing it and they don't. BUT it was also mentioned that Raylar recently introduced and aluminum block motor, something worth taking into consideration. Talk to mrhorsepower(Dean Gellner), he built some aluminum block motors for a flat deck I was looking at, but we passed on the boat so I didn't want to waste his time talking to him about the motors.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Registered

i think it depends more on the weight balance of the boat and the rigging. when i win the powerball i am going to build something with aluminum block power and closed loop fresh water cooling. either a 800ci bbc single engine 28-30 ft or a twin staggered big small blocks...

i pipe dream a lot....
Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

aluminum blocks rot easily.Another draw back is idle quality when first started cold due to valve lash under the expansion rate.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panicrev613
i think it depends more on the weight balance of the boat and the rigging. when i win the powerball i am going to build something with aluminum block power and closed loop fresh water cooling. either a 800ci bbc single engine 28-30 ft or a twin staggered big small blocks...

i pipe dream a lot....
depends more on the weight balance of the boat and the rigging ..... what country are they doing this in ?????
Old 11-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered

And where you choose to put your cooler also plays a huge roll. MR
Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCPERF
aluminum blocks rot easily.Another draw back is idle quality when first started cold due to valve lash under the expansion rate.
would a block heater help solve that problem?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
would a block heater help solve that problem?
Yes if you could install one.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't High Torque Marine have an Aluminum Block and after some problems, Sterling Performance Engines was working with them.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Default alm. motors

Seems like the idling issue would be erelevent . How long does it take to warm a moter two or three times a day at 80 or 90 degree outside temp ?Not like we run these things in snow and ice! Everyone worryies about top end speed with little fuel skinny wife or girlfriend no gear no cooler to get 1 or 2 mph. Seems like all alm motor at half the weight would save like 600- 700 pounds on a twin eng application right on the tail end compared to all stock iron stuff . Getting the tail end up is all the talk on props and hull design. ANY THOUGHTS ?

Quick Reply: Alm. Blocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.