VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Good work on the project...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Thank you for the support guys.

Get Real, one thing that I neglected to mention. You say that my customer is a guinea pig. He is not paying for any of this. The only thing that was unexpected was the lifters. I replaced them, parts and labor, at no charge to him. My engines have a warranty. As far as the tuning, I fully expected to have to do some fine tuning to the engines once they were run in the boat. Try as we might, we can never completely duplicate a boat on the dyno. There are to many variables(weight, type of hull, steps or conventional, prop, gear, etc) I personally test run and tune every engine in the boat before I give it back to a customer. I want him to have the best possible piece that he can have. We manage to get them about 98% on the dyno, but we always check them and fine tune them in the boat. Again, there is no charge for this.
Not only do I run the ones that I install, but if I sell someone a new engine and they, or another shop, performs the install, I will go to there location and run the engine for the first time and do any necessary tuning. Again, this is to be sure that the customer gets everything that he paid for and his boat runs the best that it can. I will fly anywhere in the country to be sure my engines run 100%. This also does not cost the customer anything. It is done free of charge.
We also expected to have to do something about the oil draining out of the tank. Everyone that I talked to about this problem said that they did nothing. They just let the dry sump pump pick up the oil and put it back into the tank and then it went on to the engine. I didn't want to do that. Like I said, this was not a surprise. The customer has owned dry sump engines before, so he knew what to expect.
Eddie
Eddie, I dont know you or your products other than what I read. What I can tell you is that this industry needs more people like you. Having just been through a similar repower like you are doing I know what its like to be the customer on the paying side. If Randy (cobra) hadn't have been like you with your customer I might have regretted doing the job. We had hiccups along the way like you. Dealing with them openly and and happily will be the future difference between those that succeed and those that fail. Forget the negative remarks of the ignorant and keep up the good work. I hope to meet you some day as you are an incredible asset to our sport!
Joe
Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the problems that we run into on these projects that lead to greater knowlege and understanding. They also lead to innovation and creativity, which increases enjoyment. It takes a lot of confidence and courage to admit when you have had a problem with a project like this. I don't know anyone who has ever treid to do a re rig, or modification that hasn't had to go back to the drawing board at some point. I also agree with Eddie and consider this stuf to be pretty minor since he caught this stuff before it turned into a problem.

You have to give him credit for knowing what to listen for to know that there was a potential problem, and fixing it before it turned into something big.

I think THAT is what defines a good builder. Think of all the cash and money that was saved by recognizing the problem this early on.

Good Work Eddie, and I look forward to seeing some video of this thing run.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread! Eddie seems like an intelligent, straight shooter.
I am sure he will get it fully sorted and running fantastic!
Ed
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Joe, Jeff1000, Ed, I really, really appreciate the support and kind words. I consider it an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as Randy Garcia, someone who has been successful in this business for a very long time.
I shot a short video clip of the engine funning yesterday but I am having problems loading it on Google video. I will try it later on. Everything is done and it is ready to go to the water. Just waiting on some decent weather. Will run it in the next day or so and I will definitely get some video. Again, thank you guys for your support....it really means a lot.
Eddie
Old 04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

If you needed lifters Eddie, I have some green ones, I cant say where they came from, they are top secret.. ...just foolin ya...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You are right. A lot of people do. However, most people that read that know better. I am not the least bit ashamed to say that I am not perfect.
Eddie
Damn, you didn't tell me that!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I try not to tell everyone. I don't like to air out ALL of my dirty laundry
Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
Damn, you didn't tell me that!
He's never told me that either....then he gets mad when I tell him I am perfect. Go figure....I guess its just denial.....

Quick Reply: 1200+ hp Skater 399 V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.