Notices

New to me boat

Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to me boat

I finally picked up my new to me boat Friday night. I'm just getting into boat as of about 4 years ago and bought an 18' bowrider used as a first boat. It was all over then... This spring I looked around and bought a 23' cuddy with a small block. I should have just waited and found something with a big block in it... SO, all summer I have been "just looking" on craigslist and boat trader, saw this boat back in the summer for $13k, says many upgrades. I let it go, I didn't have the cash so why bother. About a month ago I see the same boat down to $8k and decided to call on it to find out what all the upgrades were. The boat is an 89 Mach 1 2350. The guy tells me the motor is a 454 330hp Merc out of a 98 Checkmate that was installed in it 3 years ago, the Bravo drives as been gone through just as a check-up on it, the interior is brand new 2 years ago, ne gauges, trailer is mint, new bearings, new tires, new bunks, straps, the whole nine. All of the work installing motor and drive has been done by a local high performance shop and he has all the receipts. So I say what the hell and go take a look at it. Loved what I saw and the only thing it needs is new paint and maybe get rid of the teak. I still didn't have ALL of the cash and was honest with the guy and he gave me a month to come up with it. Brought me out for a sea-trial and it ran awesome. Saw 68 on the speedo, I'm sure it's a little off but he said it runs about 63-65 on gps and I believe it. So I finally came up with the rest of the cash and picked it up Friday after work. I'm doing some trade off work with a painter in a couple weeks so the boat will have fresh paint in the spring. I've read a few threads on how to make a race fairing and think I want to go that route with it also. One question, how does the windshield come off???? What do you guys think about the bow rails, should I lose them?? Anyway, just thought I would share a few photos of it with everyone.

Oh, and why isn't there a Mach 1 section in the owners forum? I know they aren't as popular as many other boats, but there has to be a few people on here that own them.
Attached Thumbnails New to me boat-mach-1-004.jpg   New to me boat-mach-1-005.jpg   New to me boat-mach-1-009.jpg  

Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the teak, but you have to stay on top of it. congrats on the boat
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you have a nice clean classy looking boat. I wouldn't mess with it too much. Except make it faster of course.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve H
I think you have a nice clean classy looking boat. I wouldn't mess with it too much. Except make it faster of course.

Thanks! I really don't plan on messing with it too much, just a new coat of paint for sure and maybe build a fairing to replace the windshield. I never sit in a boat and I get blasted in the face standing, so I don't know, we'll see. As for going faster, I don't want to do any engine mods, I'd rather keep it 100% stock. I MAY be able to go to a 25p prop instead of the 23p that's on it now. A month ago when I was out on it the WOT was 4850rpm and according to Merc the WOT should be 4200-4600rpm. I know they run faster in the fall, so I'll wait til next season and see what it does on hotter days. Maybe a 25p labbed???
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

congrats, have fun and be safe.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice boat, now enjoy it.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Mach1
Thanks! I really don't plan on messing with it too much, just a new coat of paint for sure and maybe build a fairing to replace the windshield. I never sit in a boat and I get blasted in the face standing, so I don't know, we'll see. As for going faster, I don't want to do any engine mods, I'd rather keep it 100% stock. I MAY be able to go to a 25p prop instead of the 23p that's on it now. A month ago when I was out on it the WOT was 4850rpm and according to Merc the WOT should be 4200-4600rpm. I know they run faster in the fall, so I'll wait til next season and see what it does on hotter days. Maybe a 25p labbed???
I might have a labbed 25p. I have a labbed 27p for sure, but if your interested I'll see what Ive got.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I think a race fairing would look great. about the bow rail, I think it would be really update the look to put a single lower rail straight down the center of the bow. but that is just my preference. in any event have fun and be safe
Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
I might have a labbed 25p. I have a labbed 27p for sure, but if your interested I'll see what Ive got.

I might be interested, take a look and see what you have and let me know what you might want for it. Like I said before though, I'm not sure what the boat will turn in normal operating temps yet. When I was out on it the temp was about 50-55 and was turning 4850 rpm. Let me know anyways though, and thanks!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Congrats on the purchase. I think a race fairing would look great. about the bow rail, I think it would be really update the look to put a single lower rail straight down the center of the bow. but that is just my preference. in any event have fun and be safe

Any ideas how the windshield comes off? HA! I agree about the bow rails, I think it would update the look if they were either gone completely or maybe just cut down so they are about 2" above the bow and then die back into it in the front. guess I have all winter to think about it. Not too sure about the one down the center, I know it will interfere with my hatch though.

Anyone have any experience with those portable garages during the winter? i've been thinking about one of those to put in the side yard and throw a heater in it when I want to work on the boat. Not sure if they are worth it or not.

Quick Reply: New to me boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.