Notices

377 Talon cats

Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 377 Talon cats

OK . . . so i spent the year racing a 377 Talon cat and all in all had a pretty damn good time in the boat. So, whats the history with these things? How many are there? is it an original hull? anybody know where the the canopy lexan was derived from? was it made special for those boats? I can tell ya one thing it sure is well built.

any members on hear have them?
Attached Thumbnails 377 Talon cats-08_kw_d3-r2-164-.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
The following users liked this post:
HuskerPerformance (09-10-2022)
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Gary Armington designed, tooled, and built it in Sarasota. He still builds and repairs some boats in a small shop about 1 mile from me. I would guess they built about a dozen 37's before the molds were sold to Hustler. They built many different variations of the boat and weren't afraid to try anything. Gary is a true craftsman. I am sure anyone can see that in the amount of effort put into the tooling of that boat. That particular boat was built for Steve Neeley of Out Of Bounds and raced in the Modified class for many years. Steve later built another Talon for the original Super Cat class. It was a cool piece rigged by TNT. Last I knew Jim Dyke had it in Vermillon , Ohio. I believe the canopy is a Talon design made by Texstar. Talon's 25' is THEEEEE most copied Cat hull ever built......almost every west coast 25-30 cat is some sort of a knock off of Talons Original design. This is the same design as the one Sonny Crockett raced off into the sun set on ones of Vices season finales......
Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In three seasons we have run over 220 hrs in our 03- 377.

We use her as our test boat for our methanol injection systems.They are very solid well built boats and when set up right run real well..

We stopped by the pits several times in Key West to talk to guys but you where either busy or on the run.

The boat ran real strong especially on Sunday.

I saved the front page of the KW news paper of your rig passing the 46' Skater to show the boys up here in the Chesapeake Bay !

Cool rig!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My neighbor has the 37' that was cut down to a 36 and rigged with triple outboards. It rides like it is on rails. Very cool boat.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Ryan- great info. I knew you'd have something on it for me.

WW- can you post pics of yours? Yes we did run pretty well on sunday the water was perfect for the boat and we made a pretty good prop choice. To tell you the truth i run somewhat conservatively because of the open top, i just dont wanna push it like that. Ed has the full encloure that we will be putting on this winter. The boat handles well and really is a pleasure to run in. Wish i would have been able to chat with you in KW. That was cool seeing it on the front page of the paper

Jeff- is that the yellow and white one that was in the classifieds?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Ryan- great info. I knew you'd have something on it for me.

WW- can you post pics of yours? Yes we did run pretty well on sunday the water was perfect for the boat and we made a pretty good prop choice. To tell you the truth i run somewhat conservatively because of the open top, i just dont wanna push it like that. Ed has the full encloure that we will be putting on this winter. The boat handles well and really is a pleasure to run in. Wish i would have been able to chat with you in KW. That was cool seeing it on the front page of the paper

Jeff- is that the yellow and white one that was in the classifieds?

It's this one. Pretty cool boat, but it can't hang in water over about1.5- 2' chop. Runs about 102-105

Turns on a dime though when it is hooked up. Used to be a race boat. P-3 It would be nasty. 80-90 it is pretty awesome boat.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o26099-en.html
Old 11-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

hmm . . thats weird. the OB's must throw it off, Ed's boat takes ruff water pretty well. Only boat i've been in that is almost un affected by cross chop and boat wakes in turns, seems to eat that stuff tright up. We run it in P-1
Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

hmm . . thats weird. the OB's must throw it off, Ed's boat takes ruff water pretty well. Only boat i've been in that is almost un affected by cross chop and boat wakes in turns, seems to eat that stuff tright up. We run it in P-1
I think he has the X a little to high. THe issue is blow out. The other issue is that he has no adjustable trim. The boat didn't come that way.

You set the engines before you put it in the water and it stays there the whole time.

It does turn on a dime.

If it would stay hooked up, it would really be nasty.

It is 3 houses down from mine hanging inthe boat stall. One of these days I will get rich and hav a 40' skater hanging in mine and that will piss him off.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey slowdave imagine if me and curty ran it

LOL jus kiddin luv u pal
Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by GARBAGEMAN
Hey slowdave imagine if me and curty ran it

LOL jus kiddin luv u pal

hey . . . i think i can talk Ed into trading you for the Skater . . . .

Quick Reply: 377 Talon cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.