Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
John Carbonell lives up to his BAD reputation! >

John Carbonell lives up to his BAD reputation!

Notices

John Carbonell lives up to his BAD reputation!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
THEN WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?
I apologize.....I should not have used the word rivalry.

I am talking about the logistical problems. One problem that was mentioned was parking room........boats on trailers and the trucks and semi's that bring them for the racers take up a lot of space in our LIMITED area.
This area - has become SIGNIFICANTLY tighter due to military rules. (I will not get into that for obvious reasons)

One thing that does help with this is the fact that someone mentioned that the poker runners COME ON THEIR BOATS.
This helps a lot but not all the poker run people are in the boat and want transportation when they get here and want a place to park.

In years past, there was room for poker run boats and trucks, patrol boats and pace boats to also park in our pits.
That has changed very much, and it hurts me to have to tell my volunteers that we don't have enough room.

I apologize if I said it wrong.
I will go back and edit.
PD

Last edited by Pat D; 11-14-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BLee
Wait, so your organization now have dreamed up a "rivalry" with the poker runners, thus seperating the powerboat groups from themselves even more? Why wouldn't the racers want the poker run crowd there to watch them?
How stupid are these guys??? If it wasnt for the poker runners, I personally think this race would be history, half the freaking crowd are people that came in with the poker run! for a sport the seems to be hanging by a theard you would think the two enities would want to work together!!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat D
I apologize.....I should not have used the word rivalry.

I am talking about the logistical problems. One problem that was mentioned was parking room........boats on trailers and the trucks and semi's that bring them for the racers take up a lot of space in our LIMITED area.
This area - has become SIGNIFICANTLY tighter due to military rules. (I will not get into that for obvious reasons)

One thing that does help with this is the fact that someone mentioned that the poker runners COME ON THEIR BOATS.
This helps a lot but not all the poker run people are in the boat and want transportation when they get here and want a place to park.

In years past, there was room for poker run boats and trucks, patrol boats and pace boats to also park in our pits.
That has changed very much, and it hurts me to have to tell my volunteers that we don't have enough room.

I apologize if I said it wrong.
I will go back and edit.
PD
I see what you mean now. Yes, the "rivalry" word was what sounded so crazy since the different organizations have somewhat of a rivalry. I couldn't imagine the poker run group being merged into that because we ALL love to watch the races, no matter what organization it happens to be that weekend.

Thanks for clairifying.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
I met with the Conch republic folks in August with the request to have OSS invited to attend the KW World. I offered everything possible, yet our proposal was turned down.

We all want to race together in Key West for a unified World Championship, but it appears only one thing is standing in the way.

Someone in the town of KW should have the four racing organization at a meeting to discuss how it can be made to be a bigger and better event for the benefit of EVERYONE.

None of the racing organizations are going away anytime soon, so why not find a way to work together and do some joint races? We also attempted to work together in Sarasota and we invited SBI to our race in Kenner LA last summer. I just never seems to work out so maybe I should stop trying.
Ron I remember talking to you right after you had these discussions and remember your frustration. I would hope that maybe all the organizing bodies could unify and put the pressure on to bring in you-know-who
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by insptech
Some dysfunctional personalities also got you there that year

In my best Bartles and James voice:

We thank you for your support.

I think we did our best to represent you and your org. professionally, on and off the race course.

I think I even gave you the bird as we passed by your table on sunset pier.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Quote from Pat D:

I have also received many emails and pm's and at first I was afraid to open them.
But it has been interesting, and educational. Racers who race with SBI and people I've never met have given me new insight into some of the people posting and commenting on the situation that started it all. Some are pretty funny and most won't even get into it because the song is so old.
Different opinions and complaints are expected and can be dealt with.

Pat,
I'm coming in late to this party, so forgive me if this request is out of line. Could you remove the names from some of the PM's and E-mail's you have received and post them? I would love to hear some insider commentary on this issue. You know fair, balanced and not pandering.
SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by stevequick
Quote from Pat D:

Pat,
I'm coming in late to this party, so forgive me if this request is out of line. Could you remove the names from some of the PM's and E-mail's you have received and post them? I would love to hear some insider commentary on this issue. You know fair, balanced and not pandering.
SQ
You know what?
When I went out my back door this morning and saw all the pleasure and fishing boats in my canal and on the gulf on my way into Marathon, I looked at them in a new light.
Little do they know, they are the lucky ones. No pressure of racing or disagreeing with a head fisherman.
I decided then that when this thread got to 5000, I would jump out.

The emails and PM's were all POSITIVE.......in one way or another and not pandering at all, but on a more friendly level than when people know the world is reading their stuff. I heard from people on this thread that I did not know at all but hope to meet in the future.
I really enjoyed them, and I will save them.

My goal was to state facts and not argue.
SBI is not only John Carbonell. Our staff has been together for years and we do 10 to 12 races a season, sometimes 2 a month, we travel a lot together and we are a family. From medical to cranes to inspectors to registration to patrol boat volunteers that show up faithfully every year at our sites. Our group is very strong.

I will say my favorite pm's ..........Marc Granet from Geico, Hot Duck and Johnny Stanch/Cintron. Thanks guys.

The views are now over 5000
Later Steve............PD
Old 11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
DJD
Registered

Originally Posted by Rare Breed
How stupid are these guys??? If it wasnt for the poker runners, I personally think this race would be history
Wow! You are kidding....right?? The races have been around LONG before poker runs were invented and they will be in Key West long after the poker runners go for a different weekend.
Speaking of who's been around longer, how long has Carbonell been doing this? 20? 30 years? How about the other players? A lot of people have come and gone but J. C. is still doing his thing and exactly the way he wants to do it.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are getting all worked up to get someones attention. Its been JC's race for a long time now. It's his home town. Last month everyone was talking about how great Key West is and slamming anyone who said anything about bad about JC. Now what change of heart?

Some old story new faces." I don't like the way I was treated we'll fix him".

You either support him or not. Pretty simple.

My gut tells me when JC is tired of racing there will be no more Key West races. His way or no way.... Just my opinion.

I'm not defending him I just realize it is what it is. KW is his.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Race teams need fans!!! PR teams dont need fans! Both love the same things (cool fast boats). If I were a race promoter and knowing I need fans to support my teams I would think the perfect place to start would be PR people. I would work with them any way I could to get the PR people to share and participate in my event. We should do joint events with vendors,manufactures and media. If an event had 50 race teams and 100 PR teams and we all hung together in the same location it would be off the hook fun. Its not all about the 1-hour race, its about the weekend together with more friends with parades,contest,street party's and putting on value to the towns we visit. We need to close this gap and realize we all think the same way and not "them and us" Think in terms of Havasu this last year.
MD

Quick Reply: John Carbonell lives up to his BAD reputation!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.