Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Has anyone shipped a prop? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19874-has-anyone-shipped-prop.html)

seanclong 03-11-2002 08:40 AM

Has anyone shipped a prop?

I'm sending my prop off today to be labbed at York Propeller in California.

I don't have the prop's original shipping materials so any information about packing it up safely would be a big help. Also, did you insure your prop when you sent it? For how much? I'm sending a Mirage Plus 23p. How do you think it's worth?

Thanks again to any and all!!!!:D

laster 03-11-2002 08:56 AM

I have shipped a couple of props so I am not an expert by any means. The easy way is to find a Package Depot, Mailboxes Etc or similar outfit that does packaging. Put the prop in a sturdy box, wrap it in bubble wrap and fill the box with styrofoam peanuts, wadded paper or other filler. Cost for this is small if you have it done. Insure the prop for what it is worth to you. Insurance is not expensive, replacing a prop is. Hope this helps. Maybe others with more experience can offer more.

Larry

seanclong 03-11-2002 09:04 AM

Thanks, Laster. That's the kind of info I was after. I wasn't sure if there was any 'black magic' involved in shipping a prop. I'll just head over to my local Mailboxes etc. and have 'em do it up.

cuda 03-11-2002 09:10 AM

I have shipped a couple. I took it to a shipping place (mailbox etc, or somethin of that nature) It cost about $16 to ship from Florida to California, and that was including the packaging.

KN 03-11-2002 09:19 AM

Someone mentioned on the other thread about lab props, he sent them out in a milk crate, sound like a good idea. My guess is it would be around $400-450 to replace that prop.

seanclong 03-11-2002 09:25 AM

Thanks all. Great info!!!!:D

thunderdan 03-11-2002 09:30 AM

I would go to Mailboxes like everyone has suggested. :D

Advantage 03-11-2002 09:32 AM

I just had my props sent to York Propellers too. I went to Mailboxes, etc. and they wrapped and shipped the product for me. It's worth the extra couple of bucks!

Wally 03-11-2002 09:33 AM

the last pair of props i shipped out to have "fixed" i cut some thin plywood and through bolted them top and bottom so the bleades wouldnt get bent incase Travis was playing soccer with the box useing the forklift!!! ;)
Now at work here we have one of those styrofoam machines that inject the two chemicals into a bad and it form around the item......Thats what i'm gonna use next time! :D

jawbreakerkid 03-11-2002 09:38 AM

just go to your local dealer and ask if they have an extra prop box. when i shipped my props to york, i used mercruiser prop boxes and then put both boxes into one larger box and then packed it with bubble wrap. make sure you insure your package as well. it must have worked....john got it.

chad

DONZIMAN2 03-11-2002 09:40 AM

I have shipped several. I sold and shipped 2, 23 Mirage plusses last year. I use a peice of plywood for the base of the propeller to sit on. I ran a peice of all thread through the hub and secured it with a flat washer and nut. The biggest thing is to ensure the prop does not bounce around and has enough clearance to avoid external intrusion damage. Once the prop is in the box you need to surround it with packing materials. I have used UPS for all of the carrier requirements. The 23's were shipped ground and the two Bravo 1's I just sent to Mercury were 2nd day air. The plywood works great and I have never had a bad experience. For insurance I usually put 4-500 on each prop. Hope this helps. DMAN2

seanclong 03-11-2002 09:56 AM

WOW!!! DMAN2, Chad and Wally, you guys are really thorough!!!! Those are some excellent ideas to ensure that there are no 'accidents'. LOL about Travis playing soccer. :D

Reckless32 03-11-2002 10:12 AM

What's a ballpark figure on shipping a Bravo prop and the turn-around time at Mercury?....

Cord 03-11-2002 12:54 PM

In the past I've bolted the prop to a piece of plywood that was cut to the same size as the box. A piece of styrofoam on top wedges it into place.

Another guy once mentioned putting the prop into a plastic bag and then foaming it into the box. Ain't no way the shippers going to wreck that one!

Tonto 03-11-2002 01:04 PM

If you don't bolt the prop to a piece of plywood and it has pointy tips (cleaver type) make sure you wrap the tips so they don't poke through the box. I always ship in the mercury box with a dowel through the middle to hold the prop in place. I sent the blowers to Littlefield last year and the boxes that I made to ship them in weighed more than the blowers did, talk about over-kill. And YES get the insurace :) .

WES311SR1 03-11-2002 01:23 PM

go with donziman's post . thats the way I shipped mine.

seanclong 03-11-2002 01:35 PM

All great advice. Thanks, once again!!!! The injecting with foam scheme is diabolical. I like it...:eek:

Cord 03-11-2002 02:19 PM

It's kinda funny, but this guy said that the first prop that he shipped using this method didn't get put into the plastic bag...:rolleyes: :D

seanclong 03-11-2002 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Cord
It's kinda funny, but this guy said that the first prop that he shipped using this method didn't get put into the plastic bag...:rolleyes: :D
Whoops!!! Musta' been fun getting the prop outta' that stuff...:eek:

TYPHOON 03-11-2002 07:08 PM

Old boxes,wood,plastic bags!!! Guys give me 1-2 more weeks and I'll have the perfect prop box for all you to store or ship your expensive props in. I have been working on a 1st attempt wood prop box for over a year but the cost is not worth manufacturing

it for reasale.I now have a plastic molded box with dense foam in it.It is also water proof and has a handle and a lock on it.It will be for sale in about 2 weeks when it is completed.Cost is aprox $225 . Not bad considering everyone stores there $1000 props in old cardboard boxes.
Randy:D

KAAMA 03-12-2002 07:28 AM

Use a plastic milk carton box they're very plenticful and can be found at almost any grocery store....and they work!