Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ok, I need some HELP and advice on my options. >

Ok, I need some HELP and advice on my options.

Notices

Ok, I need some HELP and advice on my options.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I need some HELP and advice on my options.

Ok I need some advice and help on my engine choices, I have a 93 35' Fountain, The boat had 465hp 502's and ran very well with 400hrs on them the boat ran just over 82mph with Bravos and 27 Hydromotives. But it's time for new power,but I want to keep my old power so if and when I sell the boat I have power to put into it with out losing my a** and selling my new power with it. My 1st choice is to build all new power from the blocks up, Dart blocks to 557ci with AFR heads all good components and a nice CNC intake and dominator carb and was expecting 600hp or so, or do I go with a deal on 525EFI's?? I have a deal on some with 400hrs on them from a stagered fountain, So I need exhaust with both options, (and no more silent choice) plus the 525's would need to be freshened and would they take AFR heads without having to remap my ECU's?? (because we do not have anyone local to do so) But I have all the accessories needed with the 525's ie:sea pumps, alt,water pump,ect where as with the all new power I would need to buy all of these. Now as far as the drives go I have new Xr's, Imco shorties 2", and exploring the options of standoff boxes (i can get a set of stelling boxes and steering reasonable). So what route should I go??? All new power?? 525's and freshen them and will the AFR's work and should I put the boxes on the boat ????? Please respond and I appreciate everyones input, THANKS in ADVANCE!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Ok, I need some HELP and advice on my options.-lake-george-101208-037-large-.jpg  
Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would freshen your engines that you have and some add some HP to them. Not a huge investment compared to 40-50k for new engines, and it will be selling point for a future buyer.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrousnolan
Ok I need some advice and help on my engine choices, I have a 93 35' Fountain, The boat had 465hp 502's and ran very well with 400hrs on them the boat ran just over 82mph with Bravos and 27 Hydromotives. But it's time for new power,but I want to keep my old power so if and when I sell the boat I have power to put into it with out losing my a** and selling my new power with it. My 1st choice is to build all new power from the blocks up, Dart blocks to 557ci with AFR heads all good components and a nice CNC intake and dominator carb and was expecting 600hp or so, or do I go with a deal on 525EFI's?? I have a deal on some with 400hrs on them from a stagered fountain, So I need exhaust with both options, (and no more silent choice) plus the 525's would need to be freshened and would they take AFR heads without having to remap my ECU's?? (because we do not have anyone local to do so) But I have all the accessories needed with the 525's ie:sea pumps, alt,water pump,ect where as with the all new power I would need to buy all of these. Now as far as the drives go I have new Xr's, Imco shorties 2", and exploring the options of standoff boxes (i can get a set of stelling boxes and steering reasonable). So what route should I go??? All new power?? 525's and freshen them and will the AFR's work and should I put the boxes on the boat ????? Please respond and I appreciate everyones input, THANKS in ADVANCE!!!!!
As you know the 93 35 fountains are non-stepped boats and typically run 3 - 5 mph slower then the first generation of small stepped 35's. I had a 99 35 with HP 500's and small steps and it would run a little over 80 with bravo drives and 26hydros. Those results were typical of the dozens of other 35 small stepped owners that I talked to over the years here on OSO.

The fact that your non-stepped 35 is running faster with less HP and the beefier Xr's (that eat hp) would lead me to believe that the HP of your current engines is way over 500 HP, or the -2 shorties are working wonders over the stock lowers and X dim from the factory, or your speedo or GPS is off.

You are running 10 mph faster than the typical 1993 35 with similar HP. The first thing I'd do before I touched that set up is find out why.

Last edited by Marginmn; 11-13-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Marginmn... I had a '99 35single step with carbed 500's best I seen was 77 -78 GPS , added -2 lowers & more power 600hp & increased speed to 84-85 sooo that being said you have something working in your favour...