LOOKOUT!  A bought a Baja... now I have a question >

LOOKOUT! A bought a Baja... now I have a question

Notices

LOOKOUT! A bought a Baja... now I have a question

Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKOUT! A bought a Baja... now I have a question

I am SO excited.. just bought a 94 Baja Bandit II 24' . Boat is in nearly new condition.
After the test run, I had it professionally winterized and am now counting the days until spring.

Question: (I'm sure the first of many...)

Should I pay the extra for indoor storage? The boat has been stored indoors it's whole life. I had to be a new bad mommy, but holy crap, storage is pricey.
IF I opt for outdoor strorage (I have room), what should I do to take the best care of it I can?
I live in WA state.

Thanks so much,

Marlene
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

If it's winterized properly just have it shrink wrapped and it'll do just fine. Have a door put in so you can get in and check it out once in a while. Save the door for next winter when you take the shrink wrap off and you'll save a few bucks. All of my boats have lived outside during the Connecticut winter.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

If the indoor storage is heated, than DO IT! Indoor heated storage keeps your boat so much nicer.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

In doors all the way. Even if not heated I just could not stand to see my toys w snow on them.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indoors
Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
If the indoor storage is heated, than DO IT! Indoor heated storage keeps your boat so much nicer.
How?

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
If boat was new indoor storage!Interior will get few more years
I stored my brand new Nordic outside in a Connecticut winter next to the house...no issues at all. How do you get more years out of indoor storage?

95% of the boats in my area are outdoors, many of the boats make our offshore rigs looks like tenders, they make it just fine too.

I'm not trying to create an issue here but indoor storage is pricey, pricey enough for me to store outside and use my hard earned money elsewhere. I'm not aware of outside storage issues so if there are facts regarding outside storage I'd like to know for the next boat I get. I've had my Nordic, PowerPlay, Sea Ray, and others all outside properly winterized and shrink wrapped, you cut the cover off in the spring and it looks just like the day it went under the wrap.

Last edited by Indy; 11-25-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

for me it depends on ratio of cost of storage to cost of boat

5mo at 400 a month is 2k... if u got the boat for min teens thats a high cost ratio... if its a 40k boat the ratio is less

id go outside wrapped with a door and add some sort of de humidifiers in the boat they make cheap hanging ones u can swap out over the the winter
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
How?

I stored my brand new Nordic outside in a Connecticut winter next to the house...no issues at all. How do you get more years out of indoor storage?

95% of the boats in my area are outdoors, many of the boats make our offshore rigs looks like tenders, they make it just fine too.

I'm not trying to create an issue here but indoor storage is pricey, pricey enough for me to store outside and use my hard earned money elsewhere. I'm not aware of outside storage issues so if there are facts regarding outside storage I'd like to know for the next boat I get. I've had my Nordic, PowerPlay, Sea Ray, and others all outside properly winterized and shrink wrapped, you cut the cover off in the spring and it looks just like the day it went under the wrap.
Indoor heated storage maintains the boat at a constant temperature. When a boat is outside, shrinkwrapped, it is exposed to severe temperature fluctuations, which creates condensation on everything. That cannot be good, especially for the electronics. Also, the vinyl ages faster and may crack, the gelcoat can spiderweb and it is hard on the paint. Does this happen every time to all boats? I doubt it, but you cannot tell me that a boat never exposed to these harsher conditions doesn't benefit with the overall condition in the long run.

Last edited by pm203; 11-25-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I can't answer the question asked but man is that going to be a long winter for you.

Congrats on the boat

Quick Reply: LOOKOUT! A bought a Baja... now I have a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.