Notices

Tunnel Tab

Old 11-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tunnel Tab

I just bought a 2002 38' Ocean Express. I don't have any seat time it but I was told from the previous owner that the boat porpuses at 70-85 then it will push through once you get over that speed.
I plan on repowering the boat. It has 572/750hp motors with ASD-8 Arnesons. The boat doesn't have trim cylinders and I also was told to add them as well.
I am going to push the motors to 900hp's

I appreciate you help and any advice you could give me on this boat.. New beast for me but very excited about it!!

Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
jimdarr40

are you talking trim tabs or an actual tunnel tab, big difference

Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mmareno
I just bought a 2002 38' Ocean Express. I don't have any seat time it but I was told from the previous owner that the boat porpuses at 70-85 then it will push through once you get over that speed.
I plan on repowering the boat. It has 572/750hp motors with ASD-8 Arnesons. The boat doesn't have trim cylinders and I also was told to add them as well.
I am going to push the motors to 900hp's

I appreciate you help and any advice you could give me on this boat.. New beast for me but very excited about it!!

Thanks in advance
First of all congratulations on your purchase. I was going to direct you to the OE forum but I see you made a post over there. The Menace, who answered your post knows his stuff and he is a great source of helpful info.
Enjoy,
Bob
Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't know anything about the OE brand, but I would avoid a tunnel tab like the plague

There is a reason that most mfg.'s do not put them on a pleasure boat. If you forget that its down or the trim indicator malfunctions in a turn, you WILL get wet.

Then we'll have a 15 page thread with everyone whining about insurance rates, bullet proof life vests, and kill switches
Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The menace did answer me. Thanks. I am so excited about it . I can't wait until we get some good weather. I wanted to put it in about a weekago. The plan was good but the snow hindered the launch... Someone was looking out for me to tell me I should stay working and save some money for fuel next year!! Instead of playing in the cold now..

I don't think the tunnel tab will happen "menace" told me about the rolo's. The previous owner told me the same thing when they bought it. So I guess I will be getting some rolo's under the tree this year....

Thanks and look forward to New era of the 'Cat" world