Notices

Boat Covers

Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Covers

Been doing some searching for a semi-custom boat covers at places like iboats.com and boatcoversdirect.com and a few other places. Some are 100% polyester and some are 65%polyester and 35% cotton. I need one for outdoor summer storage and probably would not trailer with it. Which would be better?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

It's hard to say without seeing the covers. I have always used Sunbrella fabric for covers and have had good luck with it, but I don't know exactly what combination of materials are used to make it. I just had a full cover made for our Top Gun out of a new material that the canvas shop recommended. I don't know the name of it, but it is supposed to be the "new and improved" Sunbrella type fabric. Maybe somebody here will know the name.

One thing to consider is that the one with cotton may be softer on the finish of the boat, but I would think that it would shrink some over time. I am also thinking that the polyester may be more waterproof, but I may be wrong. If nothing else, call the manufacturer of each cover and explain to them what you want out of the cover. I would think that they could certainly make a recommendation.

You also mentioned that you will probably not tow with it. If you do, be 100% sure that the cover is tight and will not flap in the wind against any part of the boat. Like with the material selection, the manufacturers of the covers you are looking at may have a cover that will handle both towing and protecting the boat while it is parked. It certainly could not hurt to ask them.

Here are a few pictures of our new cover. We have had the same local company make several of these for different boats in the past and they do a great job. These covers will work while trailering or while sitting still. They keep the boat clean and protect the paint from road grime and debris. Custom covers can get very expensive, but if they are done correctly they are like having a garage for your boat that you can take with you anywhere you go.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Covers-100_1377.jpg   Boat Covers-100_1379.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottw
Been doing some searching for a semi-custom boat covers at places like iboats.com and boatcoversdirect.com and a few other places. Some are 100% polyester and some are 65%polyester and 35% cotton. I need one for outdoor summer storage and probably would not trailer with it. Which would be better?
I bought a sharkskin cover this fall, and couldn't be happier with it. It was semi custom and cost less then $300. Fits nice and snug.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered

I bought a semi custom cover from Ameri Brand products.. They were the cheapest I could find and the service was excellent. I have a 31 scarab, I ordered a cover for a 33 scarab so it would cover my swim platform - - it fits great

http://www.websweeper.com/php/boat_covers/bc-001.php
Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM

I started a post this past spring, bought mine from amera-brands.Works great,keeps the water out and the sun off it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I notice those places have cotton, the 65-35, and polyester. Which ones did you guys choose?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Registered

I have a Carrie Cover and I'm very happy with it, very light and storage able on the boat

here's a link

http://www.carriecovers.com/care.php
Old 11-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by scottw
I notice those places have cotton, the 65-35, and polyester. Which ones did you guys choose?

for inside storage....which ever is cheaper
Old 11-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTTIMES
I bought a semi custom cover from Ameri Brand products.. They were the cheapest I could find and the service was excellent. I have a 31 scarab, I ordered a cover for a 33 scarab so it would cover my swim platform - - it fits great

http://www.websweeper.com/php/boat_covers/bc-001.php
I also did the research and would recommend Ameri Brand Products. I've bought two covers from them.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kjm5125
I also did the research and would recommend Ameri Brand Products. I've bought two covers from them.
What material did you purchase?

Quick Reply: Boat Covers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.