Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   labor prices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19948-labor-prices.html)

JIM H 03-12-2002 08:21 AM

labor prices

i bought a 2001 formula w/twin 350 mag. my question is how much should it be to install fresh water cooling system the dealer wants $1200.00 he charges $85.00 and hour that means it going to take there mechnic 14 hours iam a car mechnic and dont
see 14 hours work what do you guys think

Mike J 03-12-2002 10:04 AM

$1200.00 for 2 freash water systems installed
sounds like a good deal
to me.
Front mount or rear, I
have done a few and there
not fun, Nothing like a
car.
Mike J.

Iggy 03-12-2002 10:04 AM

1200.00 for installation only???
If you can wrench on a car you can do this yourself.
I haven't done it myself, but it doesn't look all that hard.
The hardest thing is to bleed all the air out of the sysyem.
Several on the board have installed FWC systems.
Maybe one will speak up.

OnTheBay 03-12-2002 11:23 AM

Jim H,

Here is what I recommend. You should have gotten a warranty on the, engine and outdrive, with you new Formula Find the claims number and call them. Ask them for your areas average labor rate, this rate will be real close to reality. I can tell you that $85.00 is high for my area. And shop, shop, shop. I have ran into labor rates that vary from $48.00 to $90.00. Also don't forget that money is not always the most important factor....... But if you start with the average labor rate for your area it might give you some negotiation room...

Good luck!

You Only Get What You Pay For!

cuda 03-12-2002 04:47 PM

Is that $1200 for labor only? I just installed a FWC on my engine myself, and after I figgured out how to get the d$#M plugs out of the risers, I would say I could do it myself in about 3 hours per engine, and I'm no marine mechanic.

JIM H 03-13-2002 07:41 AM

tjhanks guy's iam going to do it my self.i spoke to a another merc. shop and they said thay charge 8 hours per engine and people think car mechnics are crooks

TomFTM 03-13-2002 09:52 AM

Hey JimH , if you need any parts or help with your project let me know , I would be glad to help.

Tom 516-609-0499

JIM H 03-13-2002 11:27 AM

thanks tom, i bought 2 mercruiser kit .i was going to be a little lazy and not install them but for $1200.00 but iam not that lazy
tom are going the fist meeting of the long island offshore power boat club this month?
see ay jim

cuda 03-13-2002 07:32 PM

Jim, I don't know if yours installs the same as mine, but I had to get the plugs out of the risers, and it was a bear. Took us six hours to get one out. After rounding out the hex head, chiseling, and finally cutting the plug in two and chiseling it away from the sides, all this while heating with a torch. Then, an expert told me to heat the boss around the plug, and put a cube of ice on it, we got the other side out in 10 minutes. Mind you, these were brand new risers, I couldn't believe how tough they were.

tripps 03-13-2002 08:31 PM

Hey Jim good luck with your new boat and be safe,i know another guy who bought one also,a 2002 i think. what is this boat club meet,first i heard of it,who,what,when,where,let me know thanks tripps.