Notices

Drain the gas??

Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain the gas??

I haven't used my boat since June. It's been in dry storage at the marina since then. Since I didn't forsee not using it for six months, I didn't take any precautions as far as Stabil or any other fuel additive. Do I drain the tank or add some kind of fuel treatment additive before I run it again? I intend to service all of the fluids and filters, just wasn't sure about the fuel.

It's a stock '06 model 496Mag.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, no need to drain tanks unless you think that the fuel has been compromised. Put some stabil in and fill it up with high test before you go out again.

WILL
Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wantingmore
I haven't used my boat since June. It's been in dry storage at the marina since then. Since I didn't forsee not using it for six months, I didn't take any precautions as far as Stabil or any other fuel additive. Do I drain the tank or add some kind of fuel treatment additive before I run it again? I intend to service all of the fluids and filters, just wasn't sure about the fuel.

It's a stock '06 model 496Mag.

Thanks for any suggestions.
If you havent used it since June when the fuel prices were still high, there is a good chance its already been siphoned out!

Jason and I were just down there. I guess we should have looked you up when we hit the water.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Registered

If it has ethanol I would drain it because it attracts moisture. If it doesn't have ethanol I would defintely save it. In upstate NY it is hard to find gas without it.

Last edited by 90Velocity; 11-28-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:14 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

a little oc boost and top with 90 or plus you will be fine
Old 11-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

Make sure to put some Stabil in it NOW. I agree with the others. Add some 92-93 octane in the Spring and use it.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered

Get some sea foam and add it to the tank it will keep it stable and clean the carb/injectors in the spring.
The main issue is if its carbed the fuel in the carb will not have any stabilizer in it.
Since it is a much smaller tank it will varnish faster.

I have seen guys use stablil in construction equipment and have it turn to Jello in the carb. I think its garbage.

I am wondering why everyone says only 90+ octane? Whats the burn rate of the fuel got to do with stabilization?

Ethanol will attract moisture that is true but I am told it will also help bring that water trough the combustion chamber and burn it if it does get contaminated.

at least thats what I have been told by New england race fuels.

I would drain the carb if its not fuel injected or run the boat for a while on the hose to get some sea foam into it.

Just my $.02
Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You should store the boat with the tank full, or very close to full. The higher the level, the less room you have for condensation. An almost empty tank has plenty of room for condensation to form. The water then goes to the bottom of the tank and is picked up first next spring. If you store it full, there is very little air space for condensation to form. You should also put some form of fuel stabalizer(Stabil or equivalent) and run the engine for a few minutes to get it through the whole fuel system and into the injectors and fuel rail.
Eddie.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

Stabil nor sea Foam will prevent octane loss over time. Fuel loses octane at up to .5 points a month. In 10 months it could lose up to 5 octane points. Add the high octane to get it back up to where it should be. At this point, I would just wait till Spring to add it.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen

Ethanol will attract moisture that is true but I am told it will also help bring that water trough the combustion chamber and burn it if it does get contaminated.

at least thats what I have been told by New england race fuels.
I'd like to hear more discussion on the ethanol and water attraction. Water is heavier and ends up at the bottom of the tank.

Quick Reply: Drain the gas??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.