Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Talk about a small world eh BAM? :D (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/199903-talk-about-small-world-eh-bam-d.html)

Wally 12-08-2008 01:16 PM

Talk about a small world eh BAM? :D

Some of you may or may not know i work at March Mfg....we make chemical transfer pumps....our most popular pump is the LC-3CP-MD those of you that have A/C systems onboard may be familiar with it! :D
Anyway i get a call this morning and the guy starts off by saying "Hi this is Mark from BAM Marine...." And i respond "Hey Mark its Wally from OSO!" LOL i'm sure he was taken back at first but we had a good chuckle about it.....so it leads me to ask:

Have i talked to or helped any other OSO'ers out??

I know there was some Marina out East (cant remember the name) but they were having problems with either a 39 or 44 Outerlimitx GTX with their A/c system not being able to draw water after high speed runs! (120mph+) :D

Youd be surprised at some of the applications people dream up of for our pumps........i know out in the Gulf of Mexico they have some sort of floating diesel platforms that use our pumps to keep the diesel circulating so it doesnt start going stale or something while waiting to be offloaded onto another container....and we even have one of our pumps on the Space Shuttle for their cooling systems! Neat stuff! NASCAR was even experimenting with it for cooling the trannies or something like that...never panned out but cool none the less :)

US1 Fountain 12-08-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 2755206)
.....so it leads me to ask:

Have i talked to or helped any other OSO'ers out??

Youd be surprised at some of the applications people dream up of for our pumps

If you consider you sending me a prime tank for my A/C use while the boat is on the lift to help start the siphon, then yep, I'm on the list of people you helped. THANKS! :D

Jerry

Mbam 12-08-2008 06:47 PM

Hey Wally, thanks for the help - Depco had the parts in stock

Payton 12-08-2008 07:01 PM

Wally and I have swapped a few $$ from time to time, but I'm pretty sure we both knew who the other was.:drink:
Hope you and your lovely wife have a great Christmas.

Wally 12-09-2008 08:34 AM

Good deal Marc

And Payton (The other Mark) Right back at ya! :D Hope tree sales are out of control..if you werent so far away i'd come by again and get another one :D

SCARABJ 12-09-2008 12:18 PM

hey wally i have a question...on my nor tech the AC water pump pickup is taken off one of the engine strainers.. the problem i have is that after you run the boat then stop and try to run the AC the pump will not draw until you crack the pressure side as soon as you do this it will prime and the AC will start...any suggestions?? thanks James

Wally 12-09-2008 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SCARABJ (Post 2755909)
hey wally i have a question...on my nor tech the AC water pump pickup is taken off one of the engine strainers.. the problem i have is that after you run the boat then stop and try to run the AC the pump will not draw until you crack the pressure side as soon as you do this it will prime and the AC will start...any suggestions?? thanks James

Firs thing i tell everyone is to make sure the pump is setup correctly....must be mounted below the water line....should idealy have the discharge port facing straight up....and have a straight shor coming from the supply to the pump...you dont want any "high spots" in the feed line where you can trap an air bubble. Also Look for an air lock around the pump or after the discharge side of the pump.....more then likely when you run the boat you are sucking the liquid out of the lines of the A/C system....easiest thing to do would be to verify that all the lines run "up-hill" or as straight as you can get them without any "hill crests" where you can create an airlock.
Another thing to check is the coils in he A/C system....most boaters that use the A/C system alot will run a dilute mixture of Muratic acid through the pump and A/C unit to clean the inside of the coils like once a year to make sure you dont have any calcium or other buildup in there...
If all those check out and you still cant find anything wrong then bring the boat to IL and i'll check it out for ya :D ;)

Oh one last thing...make sure you have the proper size lines feeding the pumps....more then likely, depending on pump size its gonna be either a 3/4" line for the series-3 and a 1" line for the series-5. If you have too small a line you can starve the pump and cause damage over the long term. These pumps if setup properly will outlast the motors......and i have had people call me looking for pum replacement parts on pumps that are 13+ years old! :eek:

SCARABJ 12-09-2008 06:58 PM

thanks ill take a pic of the set up and post it..