Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is this oil changer any good? >

Is this oil changer any good?

Notices

Is this oil changer any good?

Old 03-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is the boat going to be finished? You know there are a couple of poker runs coming up that could give you a chance to "Strut your feathers" so to speak
RLT
Old 03-13-2002, 11:08 PM
Cain Crew

most of the engines i pull get the oil pan adapter before they go back in the boat...i have one of the jabsco bucket jobbers...works very well on most boats..i don't even thead it on, i just put the addapter right over the dip stick..it empties most engines in about 53 seconds...i've changed alot of oil with that pump (800 to 1000) love it and it will hold 2 motors worth of oil. makes it fast. I also have a brake bleeding hand pump screw it i the top of the drive and force most of the drive oil out the bottom in no time..i let it finish draining while I'm doing the motors....fast fast fast...engine oil change$50 drive $35

Old 03-14-2002, 01:46 AM
Registered

I have the blue Topsider Vaccum oil changer (thats on sale)and it works great. I have used it for about 5 years with no problems.
Sure an electric one would be nice but about 20 pumps and walk away and have a beer. Alot cheaper than everything else out there.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by 27Fountain
Onthebay

here is a link for the one I have, sorry its actually $18
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/default.asp Sydwayz23 installed one on his 26 sonic, said to make sure all oil is out and still tilt boat back, because their is still about 1/2 qt in motor.

WILL
27Fountain & Sydwayz23 for the info and advice

Joe
Old 03-14-2002, 08:39 AM
Registered

Default oil drain systems

Buy the electric pump mounted on a five gallon can and attach a hose permanently to the pan. The pan hose will fit nicely onto the pump hose and it drains quickly and completely. Just turn on the electric pump and do other things ( for about 3-4 minutes only ) and then it's to the other motor.

Draining from the dipstick tube is painfully slow ( comparitively speaking ) and not very good at getting the entire pan drained. I tried the manual pump type several years ago and it works, sort of, but is slow and very laborious.

I think it is important to make oil changing as easy and efficient as possible. This promotes more regular oil changes which provides better engine life. Most people I've seen post on OSO are changing @ 20-25 hr intervals. At those intervals, ease of oil changes becomes more important than if changing @ 100 hrs.

Go electric !

Good luck.