Notices

Houseboat owners?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houseboat is the way to go. We are on Lake Cumberland as well. Some cruisers cost as much as houseboats do but the houseboat has much more living space. If the houseboat is bought reasonable and lept clean you will not lose any money, in fact you will likely make money. The brokers on lake cumberland are still doing well even in todays market houseboats are still selling.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Try renting one and see how it works out, with kids you need all the room you can get!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Registered

Thumbs up on the Houseboat. We never left ours, so I had to sell because the home chores were falling behind!

Allot of my customers spend March-September at the lake. Sumerset & Sharpe are the most common and upkeep is somewhat minimal compared to property. Dock life is great and you can keep all your toys next to you. I wouldn't recommend a cruiser unless there's only going to be two of you.

Let me know. I take care of all the Sharpe's delivered in Arkansas and also maintain the Sumerset's for the Arkansas rep.

Allot of excellent deals right now....

Donnie
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered

I've been a die hard performance boater for a long time. Just bought our first houseboat 2 years ago. The houseboat is the way to go. we have much more fun with the houseboat vs. the fountain. Houses on the hill are fine, but I like being on the water 24/7 when i'm there.

LP
Old 12-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have 2! A Sumerset 16x70 that is for sale & a 18x90 Lakeview.
They are the only way to go for lake living. My folks are on the Lakeview every weekend from March thru December.
Our view changes when we are out & when you wake up in a cove the next morning it is just so cool!
Don't get in a hurry! 8 mph is about all the faster they will run. I've towed my 29 Baja behind the Sumerset & it makes no difference in seed or economy for the boat. It is just slow.
I would like to have diesel power, but gas motors seem to be the standard. v-6's are just fine. v-8's use more fuel & don't travel any faster.
Thrusters are good, but the Sumerset doesn't have them & the Lakeview does. I've used them & prefer to not. They are just a crutch in my opinion.
PM me if you would like more info.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

We just purchased a Gibson.It is small so not alot to take care of.In fact it was 68 deg here in ky.My wife and our 3 month old spent the day on it today.Summer cant get here fast enough.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrads on the purchase. I have a 37 foot cruiser. The houseboat, cruiser, lake house thing all depends on where you hang out. Cumberland, Center Hill and a number of other lakes have restrictions that keep you from really being on the water. I like house boats for those. The cruiser is good on Tn river lakes because you can do some destination boating when it is cold out. I think that lake houses are good where you can have a dock.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I prefer the lakehouse, although I've never tried the houseboat thing. The houseboat is probobly a better choice for you river folks. Maintenance really isn't a big deal. Probobly spend more time maintaining the boats then I do the house......considering usage. The property taxes we pay are less than the slip fees on our 30ft slip, but then again the house is in an unincorporated part of OK. I know they aren't that cheap on the TX side. I like the added space you get with the lakehouse to work on the boat and other things. They are also much better for entertaining. It is not unusual for us to feed 30+ people during summer holidays. Also nice to have a couple of real bathrooms you can actually use.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=TexomaPowerboater;2766763]I prefer the lakehouse, although I've never tried the houseboat thing.

Hmm, isn't that like saying I prefer Coke but I have never tried Pepsi?

I have owned a couple of lake houses and a cruiser. They are kind of like apples and oranges. Like I said, in some situations lake houses win hands down. But not all situations.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Nope, its like saying I prefer a big house by the water to party in instead of a little house that floats along at 5-10mph.

Quick Reply: Houseboat owners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.