Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hey Guys newbie here. ? abour maintenance. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/200265-hey-guys-newbie-here-abour-maintenance.html)

movado750 12-16-2008 02:07 PM

Hey Guys newbie here. ? abour maintenance.

I am thinking of purchasing 1988 Formula Sr-1 311 for a guy locally.

It has twin 454 with low hours, built to Mercury marine race specs. The outdrives are perfomance TRS.

This is all new language to me as I am just getting into the boating scene. I had to change hobbies due to a bad injury which forced my to sell the motorcycles.

All though I know a little bit about engines I am not to fluent in the boating terms.

Iwas curious as to how much maintenance this boat will require. I know the term high Performance can be used pretty losely and he is trying to sell the boat, but I have had several Ducati bike and they were considered High Maintenance and I did nothing really out of ordinary to them.

If you guys have any things I should look for or stay away from that would be awesome.

Thnaks,
Miles

mmareno 12-16-2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by movado750 (Post 2760326)
I am thinking of purchasing 1998 Formula Sr-1 311 for a guy locally.

It has twin 454 with low hours, built to Mercury marine race specs. The outdrives are perfomance TRS.

This is all new language to me as I am just getting into the boating scene. I had to change hobbies due to a bad injury which forced my to sell the motorcycles.

All though I know a little bit about engines I am not to fluent in the boating terms.

Iwas curious as to how much maintenance this boat will require. I know the term high Performance can be used pretty losely and he is trying to sell the boat, but I have had several Ducati bike and they were considered High Maintenance and I did nothing really out of ordinary to them.

If you guys have any things I should look for or stay away from that would be awesome.

Thnaks,
Miles

Not a bad boat. The TRS are considered Dinosars. They work and you can get parts for them. How much is he asking for the boat?

movado750 12-16-2008 02:16 PM

I was going to offer 15K.

X-Rated30 12-16-2008 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by movado750 (Post 2760326)
...but I have had several Ducati bike and they were considered High Maintenance...

Imagine having two of them and the only way to work on them was standing on your head...:drink:

Knot 4 Me 12-16-2008 02:32 PM

I assume the boat is a 1988, not a 1998 since you say it has TRS drives. I highly recommend having a survey performed on the boat by a reputable surveyor before purchasing the boat. Older Formulas have been known to have problems with water intrusion in the transom, stringers, and floor. The survey will also tell you the condition of the motors, transmissions, and outdrives.

seafordguy 12-16-2008 02:40 PM

Boats are going to be infinitely more maintenance than bikes - even a Ducati (Ducati - turning Riders into Mechanics since 1898).

When buying a boat you should get a survey done by a competent and licensed marine surveyor to include both mechanical and structural findings - lenders and insurers often require this anyways.

TRS is "old" technology but most will agree that they worked well and hold decent power, and that parts are still available.

This website is great for finding local people who are willing to help new-comers - if you post where you are from I bet that somoene will volunteer to help you check out the boat or someone will KNOW the boat first hand.

Magicfloat 12-16-2008 02:47 PM

Post on the Formula section here with your location and a little more boat info. The guys over there probrably know the boat. Wealth of older Formula knowledge over there.

Wildman_grafix 12-16-2008 03:31 PM

Hey wait, I was a mechanic BEFORE I bought my first DUCATI in 1987.

seafordguy 12-16-2008 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 2760382)
Hey wait, I was a mechanic BEFORE I bought my first DUCATI in 1987.

I saw that on one of those "inspiration" type posters a while back on a motorcycle forum I am a member of and thought it was hilarious....Not sure on the date though.

movado750 12-16-2008 04:03 PM

Hey thanks guys,

Yeah I guess it would be a little different working on a engine on your head.

When I bought my first Ducati all my bike buddies said I would spend more on mainenance in one year than they did in ten years.

996, 999, 1098, not one problem, other than the fact I couldnot ride the 1098 anymore. I shattered both of my heels skiing last winter, worst pain I have ever felt and they still hurt like a SOB.

I will post up in the formula section.

Thanks