Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Placid, NY for Christmas- Yay or Nay? >

Lake Placid, NY for Christmas- Yay or Nay?

Notices

Lake Placid, NY for Christmas- Yay or Nay?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lake Placid, NY for Christmas- Yay or Nay?

Hello All,

Anyone on here from or has visited Lake Placid, NY?? Trying to plan a last minute Christmas vacation to go see snow. Found some killer airfare and it appears they have lots of snow..

I know they have the Olympics history, skiing, snowmobiling, etc.. is there much else to do there or should we be looking elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Rick
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've snowboarded most places in the Northeast, and to be honest, Whiteface isn't near the top of my list.

I like Vermont a lot better, and I like Mt. Tremblant in Canada even better than VT.

Where are you flying from?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Registered

Flying out of Tampa, found roundtrip airfare for $150 per person to Plattsburg from what I gather is nowhere other than close to Lake Placid. Last few years we did Stowe, N. Conway, Poconos, etc and was looking for someplace new.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an hour and a half from Lake Placid, and am there on business every week. What are you looking to do besides what you mentioned?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

I've always enjoyed it. Go to the Brew pub up there and get the beer sampler. Unreal beer if you like brews. I think its called Adirondack brew pub. Whiteface (Iceface as we call it), is a great mountain. Not a ton of skiing for novices, but some really great aggressive terrain. I ski there a lot, but it is tougher terrain. Great Snow park for snowborders. Not sure if that's open yet but after today and friday, I'm sure it will be.
Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Registered

This will be a short trip only 5 or 6 days so usual holiday stuff- eat, drink,site see,drink... I saw you can pay to ride the bobsled and luges at the Olympic's site- definately would give that a shot. Probably spend the days doing the tourist thing and the nights checking out the pubs/bars if there are any..

Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered

there is some good eats in town, than you can sit out side with a beer or wine near a fire barrel, and watch the snow come down, real peaceful
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stayed at the Summit Inn, they are 2 or 3 bedroom condos. Great slope, been back three other times.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay at the Mirror Lake Inn. You wont be dissapointed
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

We used to go every year for my sons hockey tournament. Check out the rink where the 1980 US Olympic team won the gold. I'm a hockey freak, so it was a really big deal for me. My son actually got to play on that ice. Definitley go to the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery. I recommend the UBU.

Quick Reply: Lake Placid, NY for Christmas- Yay or Nay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.