Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong? >

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Notices

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Old 03-13-2002, 03:55 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not sure wher eon stand on teh issue of splashing. I can see maybe for old hulls that are no longer produced. IE the 24' skater. Very cool boat. BUT if you can't get it anymore and that is the hull DESIGN you want what are you to do? If there was some kind of royalty agreement I think that woudl be alot more fair. If you design somethign but decied to stop producing it someone else shodul be able to procue it BUT the origonal design/biulder shodul get credit for the design and a fee of soem sort.

BUT let not forget the design of fiberglass hull is only half the pie. Layup technique are the other half. As far i konw stringer placement and hull and deck joinery are not somehtign that can easily be coppied froma mold. The biulder has to know where to them and how to put it together. And lets not forget teh magic of lamiation scheduling. If teh goo isn;t mixxed right and aplied at eth right times it just isn;t goign to work right.

A splashed 24' skater might have thesame runningsurface design and it might even look similar.

But it's no skater.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:59 PM
BK
Registered

Boy, I am sure glad to hear you guys talk about this. After spending time on the other board, and listening to the pro-splashers comments, I really was starting to worry about moral decay in America.

This is really refreshing to hear!! whew.

Regarding why manufacturers don't go after the splashers since they legally have a right to do so --- I knew one company who spent $25,000 in legal fees, and in the end, the judge could not come up with a verdict. It turns out that no company ever won this kind of battle since Bonito vs. Thunder Craft Boats, Inc. , because the laws were simply too vague. A few companies have patented certain portions of their designs, but only when the feature is completely unique.

According to what is written in the New Vessel Hull Protection Act, you could end up having your legal fees reimbursed. Which is what kept many manufacturers from proceding in the past.

Funny you mention Bayliner Because, if it weren't for Bayliner NMMA and Zodiac, we probably wouldn't have this new law.

Read this:
http://www.house.gov/judiciary/41115.htm
Old 03-13-2002, 04:01 PM
BK
Registered

Puder -

We just visited Skater 2 weeks ago -- they are still building the 24 Cat and even had one in production.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Registered

Everyone here is talking about some one stealing a design. Does it occur where the design/molds are bought or rights paid for. So there are actually two boats being build but one is a copy of the others design. No body wants a copy of a boat. But what if its a paid for copy?
Old 03-13-2002, 04:47 PM
FlashptA10

Ok the 28 Cigarette 2 feet shorter is a 26 Martini/Corsa 2 feet shorter is a 24 Pantera
Splash- Splash- Splash

It happens not all companies stay in business or build the models any longer
even though they are very good designs
Some consumers want what they want.
There is a zillion boat builders out there.
Yea Reggie never splashed (I dont Think so) But dont really know

Last edited by FlashptA10; 03-13-2002 at 05:00 PM.

Old 03-13-2002, 05:14 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

BK

COOL!!! I though they stopped making the 24 when they started with the 28. Its coll ethya re still making the 24

BUT my the point is the same replace "24 skater" with "out of production hull" in my previous post. If its a splash of a truly succesfull hull it most likely will not be up to eth spec of the origonal. The only time I can see this not being teh case is if they started to produce the boats again BUT bought the origonal molds and were sincere about makign a top notch product. In my eyes thats not a splash.

No offesne to lightning boats but from what i have heard their boats are not up to the specs of the origonal manufacturers. You get what you pay for. They splash to produce similar cheaper copies.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:27 PM
BK
Registered

Yes, puder, I see what you're saying -- if there was a hull that was left behind, discontinued, or something -- there's probably not many companies that would be bothered too much about it. Even the new law will only protect a design for 10 years, then I guess it's open market on the design, if anyone wants it.

During a period of 10 years, most manufacturers will have so many new & nicer models that they'll probably not be too concerned about those older ones.

But some of the current 'splash' manufacturers aren't building old stuff or doing any modifications. They are directly splashing other company's current, latest #1 sellers, and then bragging about it. Some even are using the good name of the original mfg to catch attention to make their sales. And they even have a small cheering section!? Really blows my mind.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

My .02
It's wrong.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:02 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this "BK"... Boat Kitten? If so Hi and welcome.

1. FYI.............. Pat Patel is also Skater's lawyer

2. The original Fountain/Executioners were 32' Excaliburs with an "exclusive" pad bottom that Reggie had them glue on.
Later Reggie made his own boats by scaling the originals up and down and adding his "exclusive" beak............ and of course after that he "invented" steps. (see my Diatribe "Great Moments in Vee Bottom History" somewhere in the OSO archives)

3. All of the people who popped our Shadows really never did all that well.....except....
they created an army of blindly loyal, non-discriminating (and basically cheap)customers who believe that "popped" boats are valid and desireable products. These people, of and by themselves, are harmless enough.....except...
they encounter newer performance boaters who. lacking a frame of reference and experience, don't know what a "popped" boat is and can't tell the difference. After hearing bar speeds and blah, blah from these delusional "almost a Skater" or "good as a Shadow" owners , the uninformed go out and buy the cheapest thing they can find that looks like a cat...... or worse an overpriced and expensive knockoff......... only to have a disappointing experience.. or a boat that even the alleged "builder" doesn't understand and can't civilize.

The result...real designers and builders are painted with the same brush as the swine who knocked them off in the first place.....

I submit that this funding of "popcraft" removes cash flow from the true innovators .... and we all lose.

Caveat Emptor.....Buy a Skater

T2x
Old 03-13-2002, 06:43 PM
straycat

Default shadow

Well spoken! T2x what ever happened to the old shadow molds? I remember many moons ago roaming around elbys up at lake hopatcong , but dont remeber exactly what was up there and what they were?

Quick Reply: Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.