Like Tree0Likes

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Old 03-21-2002, 03:55 PM
BK
Registered

ModVP22 --

What LF is doing is called "Fabrications to avert readers away from the subject of splashing".

A ploy used by the guilty to divert attention away from the actual discussion.

Don't let him get you upset.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:10 PM
Liqui-Fly

Default My Views on Splashing

Is that there are many levels of which one can splash. Boating for the most part is recreational so who cares and as far as development goes there hasn't been anything all that revolutionary in the history of boats. Now I know it seems like I'm out to get someone but I'm not. I just expect those that wish to impose standards would first make sure they themselves abide by those standards without putting in fine lines for themselves. Of course you have no answer for the fact that Howard never had a tunnel until '97. Shady like a willow. Answer my questions and I'll drop it. Questions about the history of Mirage boats are always left unanswered.
David

Old 03-21-2002, 04:19 PM
Liqui-Fly

Default Impossible For Me

To be guilty in any way shape or form. Don't own a splash, don't build splashes, and don't promote them. I do however support those that choose to own one and don't feel that they should be subjected to BK's crap at every corner. Without splashing she has nothing to blame Mirage's demise on so deep down I think she embraces it. It's a boat BK.....not a cure for illness or a public mode of transportation or even an alternative energy source. It's just a boat. We don't need special government commitees and tied up patent offices for recreational toys. Pour you energy into something that matters and leave the 85% of boaters riding in splashes alone.
David

Old 03-21-2002, 04:52 PM
BK
Registered

LF ~

You are disseminating false information. That also is known as slander. Just like you did when you said that someone set fire to their business and collected on insurance. You completely made that up -- You not only don't have a clue about what a legitimate business really is, buy you are also a jerk.

Howard indeed owned a 23' Mod-VP mold in 1995.

Howard Boat company execs. are readers of Internet message boards, so I would not state this if it were not true.

This mold was built by Stolarz. If you honestly think it is a splash of a Stoker, then it just proves you haven't got a clue.

Mirage bought the rights, and then made totally new looks from the molds they PURCHASED LEGALLY.

Mirage then went on to build an open bow, and then a vee-bottom version of this same hull. This took months of hard work. But you wouldn't know what that means.

To you, LF, this is just another 'BOAT DESIGN'. So you probably feel "Who cares if it gets stolen".

Why do you even care?

PS ~ To debunk one more of your 'falsehoods': Mirage is alive and well, and the models are so popular and ingenious that the "cannots" are splashing the River Racer and Ski Racer as fast as they can.

Last edited by BK; 03-21-2002 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Liqui-Fly

Default Fire Was A Mistake

And I do regret that mistake but BK you must understand I do get my info from notables that will not risk their reputation by having the petty disputes that I have with you. I think you are confused about how others feel about you and the Howard deal was a dirct quote from Hotboat. That is why it was in quotations ya dig?
David

Old 03-21-2002, 05:00 PM
BK
Registered

I think you mean you get your information from "Notable Splashers".

Yes, there are a couple of "notables" for sure, and I'm sorry to see they are cowards too, using you to post their words, and you dont even care if what you repeat is even true.

Last edited by BK; 03-21-2002 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:14 PM
Liqui-Fly

Default No Actually

Most are racers and I have had no communication with any of the "splashers" that I know you are referring to. You'd think they'd give me a free boat or something for my efforts. BK I don't question the performance of Mirage boats (sub 20 footers) or the fact that they are desireable. I do however question where you draw the line of what is a copy and what is not. If Mirage where the first mod-VP pickelfork hull in the history of boating then I would support you. But it was not. Is the Mirage bottom different...well after time it was because Mirage was smart enough not to reinvent the wheel. Mirage took the best of what everyone else was doing and put it into a single package. A splash no a copy definitely. Boats are always works in progress so they are all bound to become different over time so pointing out differences in strakes ect. is pointless. Stop making this a bitter dispute it is a discussion.
David

Old 03-21-2002, 05:14 PM
Registered

Talking

15 pages...How intense is that???
Old 03-21-2002, 05:34 PM
BK
Registered

I've been a boating addict since I was 7. By the time I was 13 I was a member of a boat racing crew. By 24 i was racing my own race boat. During those years, I spent a lot of time around some of the top designers in wast coast outboard racing -- Stoker, Hoffman, Bourquin, Zorkan etc.

During those years, I watched how a hull is developed and tested. VERY hard work goes into this.

Yes, they all 'visually' use ideas from other places to create their own design. Nothing wrong with that.

But direct "splashers" on the other hand, have always been loathed.

Later I became involved with the Mod-VP class - which even required that boats be built a certain length and to certain center pod, sponson depths etc. So nobody wonders why the Mod-VP's seem to all look the same (except Liquid Fly) -- because it was in the rule book that they must!

Those designers also had a deep respect for each other. Not one squabble if they 'saw' something that appeared to look the same. That's just how boat building naturally evolves.

HOWEVER ~

A splash is theft. No grey areas. It's theft.

Splashing is "greasing up" a boat that is already popular, and COPYING it. this is not "Eyeballing" a design, this is direct molding. Taking a hull to use as a plug, greasing it up, "splashing" it with fiberglass, and creating an exact copy from it. Inch for Inch the boat they create will be a copy of the plug they used.

Anyone can do it. It requires no talent and no special skill. It's also very inexpensive, when you compare the R&D that original hull builders have to go through -- Yes - even the original hull builders who use designs they've seen on other boats have the SAME costs to bear.

But Splashers do not. That's why they splash. It's cheap. It's easy. It's quick. (It's also illegal, but hey, Who's got money to hire a lawyer, right?)

And if the splashers directly splash a boat that is already poplular, it's extremely profitable too!

I've heard your call many times:

"Screw the real designers....support the splashers instead!"

Ain't that right Liquid Fly??

Last edited by BK; 03-21-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Liqui-Fly

Default You say Screw

I say buy what you ccan afford or what you want. It's not my respnsibility to guess who is legit and who is not. It's my responsibilty as a consumer to buy a boat that suits me. Seems funny to me that you spent so much time around them yet know so little. Nebver heard any gel coat advice from you or lay up materials ect. Ya just talk about splashing over and over and over and over and over. Almost as if it was the only thing about boating you know about.

Since you're keeping this nasty did you check up with Howard? Dying to know what the fact truly are.

David