Notices

Past Hurricanes

Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
I have worked every Hurricane from Texas to Virginia in the past 15 years .To restore power and help people get back to some what a normal life is why we do it. Yes we get payed for working and we all have a job to make money, but I have been without power after Isabel and it's SUCKS. Whats worse is working for the Power Company and you can't get your own lights on. There is nothing fun about these storms. The only good thing about them is the awesome people you meet when you are out of town.

Joby
I hated going without power for Frances in 04, had a newborn and a big house with no power. Before Jeanne hit (less than 30 days later) I bought and installed a stand-by generator. Put more hours on that than I did my boat that year! Neighborhood is 10 years old/ all underground utilities/ natural gas. Generator runs the whole house/ pool but not BOTH a/c's at the same time. It will run one at a time but not both. My neighbor thought the generator was overkill but he is the first one to the door with an extention cord when the power is out!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 45sonic
I know Shah Mat and don't beleive it was his intention to make anyone think that hurricanes were or are any fun for anyone.
I'm sure he wasn't trying to be a jerk by posting the link- it was just an interesting page he found on the web and wanted to share. Doesn't change my feelings towards him one bit.

Again, those of us that have been through one or more of these things just look at it from a different perspective.

Here's some of my perspective, shots from Charley- 1)my dock, 2)looking towards my house from 4 houses down the street, and 3)a dry stack at the end of the next street about 1/2 mi away.
Attached Thumbnails Past Hurricanes-soupwrecksm.jpg   Past Hurricanes-riovillamess.jpg   Past Hurricanes-gatorcreek.jpg  

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 12-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I hated going without power for Frances in 04, had a newborn and a big house with no power. Before Jeanne hit (less than 30 days later) I bought and installed a stand-by generator. Put more hours on that than I did my boat that year! Neighborhood is 10 years old/ all underground utilities/ natural gas. Generator runs the whole house/ pool but not BOTH a/c's at the same time. It will run one at a time but not both. My neighbor thought the generator was overkill but he is the first one to the door with an extention cord when the power is out!
2004 was a bad year We started with Charley and worked in Arcadia .Stayed there for three weeks got home two days later I got a call to go back to Fla for Frances. We worked in and around Deland until Gaston hit our service territory and we had to leave. Gaston we worked in Richmond Va for 5 days home 1 week and back to Fla. Jeanne we worked in Palm Bay for three weeks. What a year. Generators are the way to go and Natural Gas is the best.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's just say bad choice of words for what some might consider an interesting website.