Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My motor is apart!!! Down to the bare block.....here's what we found: (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20077-my-motor-apart-down-bare-block-heres-what-we-found.html)

Waterfoul 03-13-2002 09:38 PM

My motor is apart!!! Down to the bare block.....here's what we found:

First, thanks to Crazyhorse and KAAMA, you two are COLOR=red]GREAT!!![/COLOR]

Piston #1 had a two piece top ring. Good?? NOT!!!! Rod bearing wasn't that great either. Wrist pin was stiff (didn't move with the rod well). #7 has a rust pit in the cylinder wall. 60 over should take care of that (motor is already 30 over). Guess we know where my oil was going, eh???

Overall, 7 wrist pins were stiff, one was blue in color (got hot), and only one worked at all well. Main bearings were iffy, all the rod bearings were iffy. The motor was iffy!!! Probably would not have made it thru the entire season (especially as much as I use my boat).

So, 60 over, new pistons (going about 8.5:1), new bearings, turn the crank, new dual plane intake manifold, and then re-assemble. Should give me quite a bit more power than I had last season. And no more 2 stroke big block!!!!

Tinkerboater, when can you come out and line bore the block with me????

obnoxus 03-13-2002 09:45 PM

Mike,

Didn't you just go through your motor last winter? What caused the problems? Better hurry ..,,,,, only a couple weeks left till boating season !!!

Dave F 03-13-2002 09:48 PM

.060+ is "iffy"

At least on a production block in a boat.

just be careful is all I'm sayin'

DAVE

26scarab 03-13-2002 09:49 PM

WF,
wouldn't it be cheaper for you to just buy a short block already done ?
454 shorts are pretty cheap, I can ask my friend Lenny how much he want for one. he has a bunch in stock.
Unless you can recon the rods , rehang the pistons, do the machine work on the block yourself it might be cheaper.
Just a suggestion.

Never mine , I just checked his website , he only had one 330 longblock in stock at the moment.
I know he has a couple of 525sc's , just imagine
the foul whinning across the water !!:D

thunderdan 03-13-2002 09:49 PM

Mike,

how many hours did you have on your motors? and what size motors are they?

Audiofn 03-13-2002 10:12 PM

Dude sorry you had all that crap wrong with it:( :( I second the new block deal. Sounds like you may be better off.

Jon

Tinkerer 03-13-2002 10:14 PM

WATERFOUL get any headwork done before you buy pistons so that you dont have to cut the heads to get the compression you want. I don't know what your finances are but you should consider full floating the rods and bronze bushing the small ends.

NO MORE SIEZED WRIST PINS and a few exztra HP also.....

ARE YOU GOING TO BE WORKING ON YOUR ENGINE ON SATURDAY???

jafo 03-13-2002 10:16 PM

Foul-
At least you found out what the problems were! Sounds like the Baja will spend a much healthier season.
I'm going to be spending a lot of time in Battle Creek the next couple of months- I'll have to come up to Holland again to see what you guys are building!
Jim

boot 03-13-2002 10:24 PM

Wow , It is .030 over now and you are going another .060 ??:eek: THat is a lot ! I could be wrong but I don't think you can . Ask someone that knows for sure and have it sonic tested to check wall thickness. What I think I remember is even if you can get away with it ,the walls are so thin they don't disipate heat right ,can crack ,and runs hot . Just my .02 ! Cheaper to find out now . Good luck !

Cord 03-13-2002 10:33 PM

Na, I think he's .060 over total. And I'm sure WF is going to add up all of his costs and compare them to a remaned motor.