What boat is this? Awesome little boat!

Notices

What boat is this? Awesome little boat!

Old 01-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What boat is that

In the late 60's Donzi (when Roy Farmer and the Chisholm brothers were involved) built two different 14 foot boats (same bottoms). One was a center console I/O, usually powered by a 90 or 120 hp mercuriser. There was also a two seater that looks the one in your pictures. There was another brand built in Miami by Charlie Gagliano known as a "Champ" There were a couple of models that look like the one in your picture. I owned a v drive 16' Champ that was later traded to the former Atlas Marina on a new 18 Donzi. George Auriemma Sr. owned a few of those as well. Somewhat of a donzi bottom but with a pad instead of a V. The Formula Jr. was also similar in size and style to what you're looking at, it was built at their old plant on US1 across from 188 street. Either JT or Mike are familiar with all of the aforementioned.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Gino i may have another 20' cig that I am redoing how about that one. I'll customize it however you want.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, Is that one of the boats you started racing in?

BTW Happy New Year

Mark
Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Saw this boat at TNT. I love it! I have no idea what it is but i would love to buy it or one like it. It has Apache badges but I'm sure it's not. Its very small, maybe 16 or 18 feet. It is finished beautifully! Sorry for the crappy pics! New 5 Megapixel phone! Go figure!
Wow!! That thing is Ssswweeeeet !!!
Please let me know if you find out the HIN....that just got added to my fiberglass list (A sub section of my Bucket List)

Thanks
Angel
Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mark,
Nice to hear from you, and my best wishes for a very good 2009. That Champ was rigged and bought from the Schwabenland brothers. Was powder blue and white with the number B-57 on the side. It had a 327 with 8 strombergs and a V drive with no neutral or reverse. It ran in the mid 60's. Didn't own it but for about a year and never raced that one. I think I was 14 when I had it? It was the Donzi that followed the Champ purchase, that I did race in the old IPC class in APBA, more commonly known as "Funny Boats". There were 4subclasses, A,B,C and D, all based on cubic inches. Great class with some awesome competitors including George Auriemma (Champ), Bill Sirois (S-18-this boat was so cool, hull weight (no engine)of less than 900 pounds, engine was a Mercury/Janisch Black Widow with a #2 speedmaster, would kick our butts everytime), Harry & Gene Schoell (V-19 Seabird Suberbird-a boat that Harry had designed, his brother Gene worked at Magnum Marine at the time), Big Dirty (18 Donzi), Dick Sutton (15 checkmate with a 289 Holman Moody and v drive-a boat that Ed Bradfiedd, the builder of Profile flat bottoms converted from OB to inboard.) and if I was younger I'd remember more of them...
Take care Mark, winter hasn't been kind to your part of the country. Hope you can make it down to the Unlimited races in Madison July 4 weekend.
Steve