Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is this oil changer any good? >

Is this oil changer any good?

Notices

Is this oil changer any good?

Old 03-12-2002, 09:03 PM
kook

Default Is this oil changer any good?

Boat US is having a decent sale price on this unit - anyone use it? If so, you like it or not?
Attached Images  

Old 03-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried a couple of the cheap oil changers. Not worth the hassle, and I broke all of them after a couple of uses. Spend the $150 for a good electric one that is mounted on a bucket, I don't remember the brand, but I can find out if you need it. It was worth every penny, does a great job and has a rebuildable pump if it does break.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Registered

DITTO
Old 03-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Kook,

I have used that one before, and it even lasted a full season. What a great workout though. I would pony up the extra $ an go for the electric. You can kick back and relax and let the pump do all the work.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You trailer, right? Then why hassle with a pump? Get a drain kit for your pan and it'll be quick, clean and easy. Hose fits right out thru the transom drain. Hey, I think I have an old one laying around here if you want it!
I've since gone to a PreLuber for my rig (www.preluber.com), but the ol' drain hose works great.

Last edited by arks; 03-12-2002 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Or you could just buy one of the rotory vane pumps that fit in a drill and a double ended washer hose and use your own bucket for a lot less money.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Registered

Go to West Marine and buy the electric pump with the bucket. They are on sale for $125. Worth every penny. The others leak or don't work. Get the oil drain hose from Eddie marine and pump it from the pan. 8 qts in 3min. Cold!!!!!
Old 03-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Jeff

my personal favorite is to drain both motors in the bildge and then use the vacuum at the carwash over on MLK Blvd.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a hand pump one that I love!!! Just have to pump it a couple of times and walk away and drink a beer!!! It is a tall clear cylinder and it had a couple of attachments that come with it. My SK tools guy had it but I think I have seen it at Boat US as well. Also it has a nice pour spout so if you have to get your old oil back into the small containers no problem I think it cost 40 bucks and I like it MUCH better then the electric. Plus it is plastic so you do not scratch anything.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plastic bucket changer is the only one I have found that will work and hold up-all the marinas use them. I must confess that I have not used the one that Jon mentions though. You can also do the bilge trick if you have a good bilge pump, just throw oin a little Tide with that 1/4 " in the bottom

Quick Reply: Is this oil changer any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.