Cash for Clunkers Program???

Notices

Cash for Clunkers Program???

Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cash for Clunkers Program???

Has anyone else received an alert from Summit racing about a bill going through Washington that is a stimilus package that includes a "Cash for Clunkers Program"???

I know a lot of boaters own cars also. I dont normally get on a soap box, but this is important. They want to get this passed by the 6th of Jan so it is ready to be signed when Obama swears in on the 20th.

Here the email I received from Summit Racing:

Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

As a SEMA Member Company, we have received an Urgent Legislative Action Alert from the association. You may be interested in this legislative alert and the possible impact it will have on your hobby.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) is a non-profit trade association composed of more than 6,800 member companies involved in all aspects of the automotive industry, from manufacturers to car clubs and race teams.

The SEMA Action Network (SAN) protects your hobby from unfair or unnecessary legislation on national and local levels. Through distribution of information and the collective voice of automotive enthusiasts and businesses, the SEMA Action Network has successfully impacted legislation concerning scrappage laws, equipment standards, registration classifications, emissions regulations, and more.

The following information is directly from SEMA. If you would like to contact the lawmaker, follow the instructions in the alert.

Thank you for your time,
Your Friends at Summit Racing Equipment

Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into law after he is inaugurated.

Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for Clunkers!
Call: 202-225-0100
Click here to send an electronic message: http://speaker.house.gov/contact/

Talking Points
Feel free to use any of the statements below as a starting point for your message to Speaker Pelosi.

I am [calling/writing] to urge lawmakers not to include a “Cash for Clunkers” provision in the economic stimulus bill. Owners who turn in vehicles for crushing would receive a "minimal" payment to purchase a new car. This is a misguided attempt to spur car sales and claim that the country’s air quality or fleet fuel mileage is being improved.

I work for [company name] located in [city and state]. My company is part of the specialty automotive industry, an industry which enables consumers to enhance their vehicle’s appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and safety. “Cash for Clunkers” programs deny our small businesses the availability of older cars necessary to develop and market their products and services. The programs will hurt my company and our customers.

“Cash for Clunkers” programs threaten enthusiasts nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and customization projects. The programs also risk destroying classic, historic and special-interest vehicles, our American heritage.

Cars turned in for scrappage often barely run, or are rarely-driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall fuel economy or emissions.

“Cash for Clunkers” programs will reduce the availability of affordable transportation and repair parts used by low-income drivers. It will also compete with the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart and other charities that rely on vehicle donations to raise money.

“Cash for Clunkers” ignores better policy options. If Congress wants to act, support for repair and upgrade is a better choice and a win-win for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and repair shops. Significant emissions and fuel economy improvements can be achieved in older vehicles through relatively simple and inexpensive means: repaired/replaced exhaust systems, tune-ups, etc.

We hope we can count on you to reject “Cash for Clunkers.” Thank you for your consideration on this very important matter.
If you choose to send a message to Speaker Pelosi, please send a copy of your message to SEMA also:
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 202/783-6024
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They already do it here in texas, the state pays 2k.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered

How could it be so bad, if it is optional? The kind of car that you would trade in on a program like this is not the kind of car you would customize, presumably it is "clunkers" that would get traded in. Better a program like this than just outlawing old cars (I am from Canada where governments are somewhat more willing to steal private property).
Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

It was done in California years ago, hundreds of unrestored classic cars were crushed. It takes piles of $$ to restore a car. Many people think the 57 chevy rotting in the back lot is just trash and will take the money for it. Its a small minority that values old cars. All the gearheads on this site do, but most of the people I know don't. They're the ones driving a prius.

We should be really f'd up after obama finishes fixing the entire free world his first afternoon in office.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just hate to see the parts that are out there being sent to the crusher for little to nothing.. 100yrs from now they will do it with all the battery powered cars..