Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Survey - What do you get???? >

Survey - What do you get????

Notices

Survey - What do you get????

Old 03-14-2002, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron, When I was looking at purchasing a boat out of state I had a "service check" done which I would guess is different than an actual "survey". The "service check" included checking;

cyl compression
outdrive oil
engine oil
fuel system
ignition system
exhaust
steering
charging system
electronics
trim system and sendors
all gauges and accessories
transom and hull condition
u joints
pull outdrive
check gimbal bearing, u joint and shift bellows, motor alignment and coupler
gimble ring
motor mounts and stringers
belts and hoses
lights
prop
outdrive condition anode system
run and check shift
lake test

They created a list of items they thought should be replaced or repaired along with a quote to do the work if I elected to purchase the boat and have them do the work.

The bill for this "service check" was $150 and well worth it since they found the transom was rotten.

I ended up getting a boat in State and had a similar check done on it for $125

Not much money considering the alternative
Old 03-14-2002, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something to keep in mind is that if the boat you are looking at is over 10 years old and you don’t have proof of the value of the boat you may not be able to get insurance.
With a survey you can show what the estimated market value of the boat is worth. I paid $11 dollars a foot in the state of Ohio to have my boat surveyed. I received an 8 page report detailing the Hull Exterior, Hull Interior, Deck Construction, Underwater Gear, Propulsion System, Deck Fittings, Cockpit, Cabin, Fuel System, Steering, DC System, AC System, Fresh Water System, and Electronics. He also checked for Safety Deficiencies and Non Safety deficiencies and listed the things that need attention.
I know that he had to spend a considerable amount of time documenting all of the information listed on the report right down to the expiration date on the flares.
Yes I could have probably gotten by without doing it, but he pointed out things I would not have noticed and it gave me information that I used to renegotiate the purchase price.
I also had the motors tested by a mechanic who found a stator bad and one of the motors was going to need a rebuild in the near future. Again, I was able to use this information to re-negotiate the price.
If you narrow your choices down to one or two boats and have it checked over, a few hundred now might save you thousands later.
Like others have said, there are good ones out there and bad ones. Go with someone who is accredited and ask him questions as to what he will do so you’re not disappointed.
Cordell