Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advice please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/201028-advice-please.html)

pslonaker 01-05-2009 07:07 AM

Advice please

I am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on a 1995 Baja 32 Caliber. Overall condition is very good with fresh 500's, K-planes and full hydraulic steering. My questions are...

1. What should I be aware of with this boat?

2. What should the approximate top speed be?

3. What is the top RPM with Mercruiser 500's with a carb?

I am not interested in running 80+...I would be happy with 75-ish. Being a first twin...yes I know, sorta big...I am more interested in the ride than anything else. All input would be appreciated please...good or bad...Thank you.

GLH 01-05-2009 07:37 AM

Watch the valve springs on those 500hp's but it should not be a deal breaker.

Sounds like a good package.

pslonaker 01-05-2009 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2770818)
Watch the valve springs on those 500hp's but it should not be a deal breaker.

Sounds like a good package.

I was told that the springs were replaced on the refresh about 2 months ago. I am trying to decide to keep the heads on it and replace them with Brodix heads or maybe sell the 500's and put in new 540's. Actually, what I would like to do is probably going to be different than what I am really going to do.

BowenCT 01-05-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by PSlonaker (Post 2770806)
I am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on a 1995 Baja 32 Caliber. Overall condition is very good with fresh 500's, K-planes and full hydraulic steering. My questions are...

1. What should I be aware of with this boat?

2. What should the approximate top speed be?

3. What is the top RPM with Mercruiser 500's with a carb?

I am not interested in running 80+...I would be happy with 75-ish. Being a first twin...yes I know, sorta big...I am more interested in the ride than anything else. All input would be appreciated please...good or bad...Thank you.

1. No personal input on the boat, sorry.

2. Should have no trouble running mid-70s.

3. I believe they can spin 5400rpm, but I'd stay around 50-5100.

With previous boating experience, you'll pick up running a twin in no time. My Formula was my first offshore style boat and the biggest challenge for me was docking with a strong cross wind. Also believe it or not, having separate shift/throttle controls was goofy at first, but you may already have that so it may be a non-issue. Having two motors was a non-event.

If you like the boat and can get it for the right price, go for it!

Griff 01-05-2009 12:24 PM

How about a great deal on a 32 Outlaw that is Immaculate and fresh water only with 500's????????? 50k or maybe less. Paul is a friend from LOTO.

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/4s...duct=327&cat=5

pslonaker 01-05-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2771019)
How about a great deal on a 32 Outlaw that is Immaculate and fresh water only with 500's????????? 50k or maybe less. Paul is a friend from LOTO.

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/4s...duct=327&cat=5

This is a really nice Outlaw, but it is waaaaaaay (thousands)more than I can get this Caliber for...but it is something else to think about, thanks.

GLH 01-05-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by PSlonaker (Post 2770861)
I was told that the springs were replaced on the refresh about 2 months ago. I am trying to decide to keep the heads on it and replace them with Brodix heads or maybe sell the 500's and put in new 540's. Actually, what I would like to do is probably going to be different than what I am really going to do.

Personally when I buy a used boat I do not put much value in what I am told about engine rebuilts/refresh and so forth. Leak down pressure test and a good run works better. Even then used engines are always a throw of the dice and you should budget a little insurance.

Also getting to know an engine builder REALLY well helps a lot.

pslonaker 01-05-2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2771185)
Personally when I buy a used boat I do not put much value in what I am told about engine rebuilts/refresh and so forth. Leak down pressure test and a good run works better. Even then used engines are always a throw of the dice and you should budget a little insurance.

Also getting to know an engine builder REALLY well helps a lot.

You have a very good point GLH and I think you have very good advice, but two different people that I have known for quite some time both know this boat and one sold the boat originally to the owner. He told me that his company went thru the motors and that they did them right. If it had been someone else, I would have doubts, but coming from friends, I dont have any doubts. This isnt a good buddy deal...just friends telling me what they actually know about the boat and pulling no punches. After taking it out last Saturday and running it, I have no worries on it...thanks

Expensive Date 01-05-2009 06:10 PM

Twins no problem I went from a Jet-Ski to twins I have never driven a single engine boat.If ir runs great any you like it fine but due to its age I would not buy it if you have plans to put big money (540s) in it you will never get it out unless you keep it for a long time