Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What do I really need to have to tow this thing? >

What do I really need to have to tow this thing?

Notices

What do I really need to have to tow this thing?

Old 03-12-2002, 08:57 PM
kook

Default What do I really need to have to tow this thing?

Looking for a cheap p/u to tow 5000-6000 lbs (including trailer) short distances (15 miles to ramp, somewhat hilly). Possibly one or 2 trips a year that would be 2 hours long, but these would be on flat road.

CHEAP is the word here. Can I get away with 2WD? I've been doing it so far (with a 4 banger Tacoma - LOL), but I have only used gentle sloping ramps, and 300# of sandbags in the back of the bed.

What about something like a late 80's F150 2WD with the 4.9L I-6 motor?

Old 03-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would prefer a v8 to the I6, but you can get away with a lot if your paciente. If you do 2 wheel drive, you should get 1 with a posi, and put really good tires on the back at least. I would think any full size 1/2 ton will handle 6,ooo lbs nicely. I was towing 10,000 with a 12 year old, 120,000mile chevy 1/2 ton before I finally bought a decent truck.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Registered

Kook, I towed my 357 Formula with a Mercury Mountaineer. Its all how you drive. give the guy in front of you plenty of roomand accelerate slowly to save driveline wear. tongue wieght is the next thing just enough to keep you from spinning up the ramp but not so much it will make the truck unstable. Biggest problem is on the highway when you get swaying.DONT APPLY BRAKES!! Just ease off throttle.dont try to correct steer it you will loose it. sorry to ramble hope this helps.Good Luck, Mark B.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Mark how'z it going? Hope thing are settling down for you. The 4.9 is a good strong motor, but that's a lot of weight to tow, especially on the hills. My suggestion is to look for a small V-8. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one in your price range. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Registered

Hi kook! Is the bay ready for us yet?

I think any truck (longer wheelbase is best) with a V-8 is fine for your kind of towing. If you go 2wd, put about 500 lbs. in the rear of the bed for traction on ramps. Posi-rear is a good idea too.

What price range are you looking for? I'll keep an eye out for a truck up here for you.

Hope to see you on the bay.

Dave
Old 03-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by mfb357
Kook, I towed my 357 Formula with a Mercury Mountaineer. accelerate slowly to save driveline wear. .
Like you have a choice? LMAO!!!! Oh my.... I wouldn't have even posted this if I'd done something that stupid. DOn't mean to offend you, but that is just simply unsafe, for you and everyone else on the road. DO NOT do this if you're reading this. Makes no difference how you drive, matters how lucky you are to be alive.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I have to agree with 32 fever, that is very dangerous no matter how carefull you are, if you can't swing an adequate vehicle, you can always sucker in a friend with a truck to tow for you if you take him boating!
Old 03-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

The longer the wheelbase the better. Old straight 6 will be fine.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:15 AM
kook

Originally posted by 32fever

Like you have a choice? LMAO!!!! Oh my.... I wouldn't have even posted this if I'd done something that stupid. DOn't mean to offend you, but that is just simply unsafe, for you and everyone else on the road. DO NOT do this if you're reading this. Makes no difference how you drive, matters how lucky you are to be alive.
I humbly disagree. Look what I've been towing my ride with (below) - it's a 4 cylinder. I consider myself an excellent driver, having spent many winters in my teens out riding around in the snow in rwd cars, just having fun. I have no problems with the boat tracking behind this little truck - it's CG is low, so I think that helps. Stopping is better than with my old 3000# Wellcraft - that trailer didn't have brakes, this one does. It's just murder on the clutch, getting out of the ramp. If anyone if familiar with rt 272 that runs out to Turkey Point in Cecil County, you know what that road is like - hilly, no shoulder. No problemo - I just make damn sure I've sobered-up before towing back home, and be attentive and defensive.

I'd like to spend <$3000.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails What do I really need to have to tow this thing?-tacoma-sunsation-3.jpg  

Old 03-13-2002, 02:38 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the guys here on the board have great tow trucks.....many in my opion many of them are over-kill. I pull my 31 Sonic with my Tahoe the boat weighs in at over 7000# now dont get me wrong bigger is better but you can get away with less. Make sure you have a good tranny cooler and good brakes on the truck and trailer and take it easy.....a 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive with a limited slip rear works great....my .02

Quick Reply: What do I really need to have to tow this thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.