Notices

Whipple blower snout fix

Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
I dont like the small bolts for the pulleys or the dowel pins but I wanted to make this an easy bolt on upgrade.
Tyson,
What I did to fix the small bolts breaking on the pulley was to install 2 dowel pins in the pulley adapter. There are 2 holes in the adapter now for a spanner wrench. I used those 2 holes. Then just drill 2 matching holes in the pulleys. They take all of the rotational load and let the bolts just simply hold the pulley on. It completely stopped the breaking of bolts. I have pitched off many, many pulleys from the bolts breaking. After I made the shafts, I started to break the pulley bolts everytime out. With the stock shafts, it was 50/50 whether it broke the shaft or spit the pulley off. I never did really have trouble with the plastic coupler breaking. Think I only broke one or two from all of the quads I have done...and that is quite a few. That is a very nice shaft you built Tyson. Good luck with it.
Eddie
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When The Plastic Lets Go

Makes a mess when the plastic piece lets go, swap to the 5.0L Me and AJ havent had any problems
Attached Thumbnails Whipple blower snout fix-100_1043.jpg   Whipple blower snout fix-100_1042.jpg   Whipple blower snout fix-5.0l-whipple.jpg  

Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
That is a very nice shaft Tyson. Good luck with it.
Eddie

I dont know if one guy should tell another that he has a nice shaft, but thanks.

if we do any of the installs in house we were just going to drill the pulleys bigger and put bigger bolts, but if the dowels work we may just do that, thanks. we had alot of things we would have done different but wanted to be able to just ship these to someone and them put them in. but I guess some people would be able to do the dowels so that would probably help.
we never had one break the bolts off. most of the time they broke the stud or the shaft itself.
whats bad is when a guy here kept 4 spare blower snouts in his boat to just try to finnish a run.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey quick question Mr Garvin, I here that there is a 42gtx with sterlings that you guys just built is it a fast boat? With these upgraded snouts.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The drives were never designed to make 1500hp and clearly the power levels exceeded the designs. We made countless updates, each fixing the weak link as the power levels climbed. Currently, what we have will work. Before that, Sterling did there own drives and they used the most quads. We build many drives for many kits, 10 lenghts actually, and quads use different ones depending on belt systems, etc. so we could never just make a dedicated "quad" drive". Our drives, even the original designs (which is what Merucy uses on the 1075) could easily hold up to 1200hp and below, but detonation, 15+psi, high engine speeds, quick acceleration and deceleration, etc. proved too much. One of the biggest setbacks was the "solid" shaft, this extra weight is killer on the front hub. The material is already good, so not gonna help much, already chromoly.

The 6mm bolts are easily enough for our shafts and drives. The only reason these break is uneven torquing, over torque, under torque, wrong length or come loose. The hub takes the majority of the load on the inner portion near the friction drive. The bolts really are not an issue. But add another 25% weight, then I feel your gonna have some issues. YOU WILL break the dow pins with that extra weight, so I strongly urge you to make a spline coupler and fix it to the gear.

Also, some need to mention they had an issue, when customers call us and work with us, we can make the product better. I heard from a few that this guy or that guy broke a drive, but we need parts back to evaluate. Then we can do our best to make it better. Sometimes it takes more than once. We've never refused to help make something better, and were extremely open, as you can see here.

We built the 5.0/8.3 to replace the quad, since it was built for this power. Everything was beefed up to withstand the loads of a 1500hp motor.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Makes a mess when the plastic piece lets go, swap to the 5.0L Me and AJ havent had any problems
This was due to the plastic coupler breaking and plugging the return oil line. If it was a closed oil system, it would've still ran, probably wouldn't have known the difference.

This was the earlier plastic coupler, not the PEEK unit.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FASTTIMES
I was think'n the same thing!

Great Job BYC
We did not know the drives were breaking, this was only recent since that power has been climbing for the past few years. We had some issues with the 3.3's because the rotor weight is greater, and this was about 4-5 years ago, broke about 6 or so. This is when we went to the solid shaft, which fixed almost all until last year during poker run time, a few broke some. We upgraded the ones we knew about with specially made studs, we also changed the shaft design so we could torque them to a greater level. This worked on almost all, I only know of maybe 3 or so that broke the stud. So then we installed dow pins to stop the hub from spinning during deceleration. This was just to fix or update what was out there, since we were selling the big blowers now.

And you can't know about a recent one breaking because the last ones we shipped were over 6 months ago! And those went to Sterling, which upgrade the drives themselves. We updated the ones for Pyburn, which have run just fine at some very high HP.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
We built the 5.0/8.3 to replace the quad, since it was built for this power. Everything was beefed up to withstand the loads of a 1500hp motor.

Does this unit put out as much power as the Quad Rotor. I have had several people tell me they do not. Joe Potavano had the new 5.0 and traded them back to go back to Quad Rotors. What is the answer?

If I was to switch to the 5.0 would you gaurentee I see the same or better results?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The 5 liter will absolutely make more than the quads. I just did a pair and I can't say enough about them. I had to really work at making 1200 hp with a hyd. roller and pump gas with the quads. With the 5 liter, I was able to make 1326 hp pretty easily. It had more in it if I wanted to push it. I was only looking for 1200. It is just a better all around piece. None of the problems that quads have will happen to the 5 liter.
However, there is nothing wrong with the quads. As Dustin said, I don't think they planned for 1500+ hp when they designed them. I did have a few problems with the quads but I worked them out myself and continued to use them. Dustin never helped me because I never asked him to. I'm sure he would have worked with me to resolve it. I never got mad about it. I expected some problems when you get to this power level. I had to modify, fix, change, cut, grind, weld damn near everything on the engine. It just comes with the territory.I happen to have a father in law that has an unbelievable machine shop and just so happens to like me.(go figure). I strictly use Whipples on everything I build, unless the customer already has an sc of a different brand. I build engines with any supercharger out there, but if I have my choice, it will be a Whipple.
Eddie

Last edited by Young Performance; 01-14-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Does this unit put out as much power as the Quad Rotor. I have had several people tell me they do not. Joe Potavano had the new 5.0 and traded them back to go back to Quad Rotors. What is the answer?

If I was to switch to the 5.0 would you gaurentee I see the same or better results?
Don't know the difference in the performance but my 5.0 haven't broke in 80 hours of use.

Quick Reply: Whipple blower snout fix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.