Notices

Whipple blower snout fix

Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Does this unit put out as much power as the Quad Rotor. I have had several people tell me they do not. Joe Potavano had the new 5.0 and traded them back to go back to Quad Rotors. What is the answer?

If I was to switch to the 5.0 would you gaurentee I see the same or better results?
It depends at what power level, but at your power level, yes, absolutely. Example, at 1000hp, there's very little difference because the 5.0 is going so slow and neither sc is taking much hp to operate. At 1500hp, there is a difference. We've continued to develop this unit and we've continued to make more power.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The 5 liter will absolutely make more than the quads. I just did a pair and I can't say enough about them. I had to really work at making 1200 hp with a hyd. roller and pump gas with the quads. With the 5 liter, I was able to make 1326 hp pretty easily. It had more in it if I wanted to push it. I was only looking for 1200. It is just a better all around piece. None of the problems that quads have will happen to the 5 liter.
However, there is nothing wrong with the quads. As Dustin said, I don't think they planned for 1500+ hp when they designed them. I did have a few problems with the quads but I worked them out myself and continued to use them. Dustin never helped me because I never asked him to. I'm sure he would have worked with me to resolve it. I never got mad about it. I expected some problems when you get to this power level. I had to modify, fix, change, cut, grind, weld damn near everything on the engine. It just comes with the territory.I happen to have a father in law that has an unbelievable machine shop and just so happens to like me.(go figure). I strictly use Whipples on everything I build, unless the customer already has an sc of a different brand. I build engines with any supercharger out there, but if I have my choice, it will be a Whipple.
Eddie
I heard that is all you can get from the 5.0 is about 1350. One of our MTI buddies had a set of motors, he could not get enough power from the 5.0 so They put quad rotors and it made the difference. I was actually going to trade him my quad rotors for his 5.0s but I was told not to as they are only efficient up to 1350 HP. I have heard this serveral times. Some people swear the 5.0 put out more, some swear the quads are needed for over 1500 hp. I would love to know the correct answer. I read in Powerboat whipple now has a 10.0 for 1500 to 2000 hp. I would really like to know more about those.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 liters of air is not nearly as good as 6.6 liters of air -period.Now the 8.2 or the 10 liter in a single style blower would be very sellable and make more horsepower than the current quad rotors.And the set up with the single blower would be simpler,cleaner to look at and most important have less parts to fail.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The 5 liter will absolutely make more than the quads. I just did a pair and I can't say enough about them. I had to really work at making 1200 hp with a hyd. roller and pump gas with the quads. With the 5 liter, I was able to make 1326 hp pretty easily. It had more in it if I wanted to push it. I was only looking for 1200. It is just a better all around piece. None of the problems that quads have will happen to the 5 liter.
However, there is nothing wrong with the quads. As Dustin said, I don't think they planned for 1500+ hp when they designed them. I did have a few problems with the quads but I worked them out myself and continued to use them. Dustin never helped me because I never asked him to. I'm sure he would have worked with me to resolve it. I never got mad about it. I expected some problems when you get to this power level. I had to modify, fix, change, cut, grind, weld damn near everything on the engine. It just comes with the territory.I happen to have a father in law that has an unbelievable machine shop and just so happens to like me.(go figure). I strictly use Whipples on everything I build, unless the customer already has an sc of a different brand. I build engines with any supercharger out there, but if I have my choice, it will be a Whipple.
Eddie
Eddie-you are comparing your data to the 2.3 liter quads that you built for nashville catz.We are talking about the 3.3 quads.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by pbam22
what all the the chit people people say how good whipple is now this. I am glad my new motor has a 1071 on it, seems a lot of broken shafts and no one spoke up before, hot pursuit yuor right old school is not bad at all:
Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
what all the the chit people people say how good whipple is now this. I am glad my new motor has a 1071 on it, seems a lot of broken shafts and no one spoke up before, hot pursuit yuor right old school is not bad at all:
hot pursuit yuor right old school is not bad at all

I dont know BIG Daddy that 10.0 sounds mighty tempting
Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skater40
Eddie-you are comparing your data to the 2.3 liter quads that you built for nashville catz.We are talking about the 3.3 quads.
just cant be

Ring Ring Gary pick up the Tele
Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skater40
5 liters of air is not nearly as good as 6.6 liters of air -period.Now the 8.2 or the 10 liter in a single style blower would be very sellable and make more horsepower than the current quad rotors.And the set up with the single blower would be simpler,cleaner to look at and most important have less parts to fail.
Don't forget that the 5.0 can very easily be converted to an 8.3 liter by driving the other rotor. That is what I'm refering to. That is why I say the 5 liter can make more than the quads. I should have been more specific. As a 5 liter, it will outperform the 2.3 quad, but I don't know how it will compare to the 3.3 quads. I wouldn't think there would be a tremendous difference because of the parasitic loss driving 2 blowers vs one.
Eddie
Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
just cant be
What does that mean???
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
what all the the chit people people say how good whipple is now this. I am glad my new motor has a 1071 on it, seems a lot of broken shafts and no one spoke up before:, hot pursuit your right old school is not bad at all
We beat this subject to death on a thread about how much power could be made on 93.I have always run hard and like to run out front.I will spend more money on power than bling,paint,flat screens,and whatever else you can stick on a hull now days. I just get tired of all the gps keyboard racing that happens on this site.I have run roots style blowers for 20 yrs and they have never failed me!!I have also broke just about every other part that couldn't be broken.
I have a hard time fixing what is not broke.My 1471s @ 16% overdriven turning 6200 on a 600 cuin BM head engine will make 12psi.My next step will be 20%.Might be old school but come summer we shall find out.Richie will have his race boat 39mti converted pleasure with merc 1200hp and AJ is getting his 5.0s pump up to 8.0s. We always race hard and dont really care about GPS readings.
That said we play in Copeland water and Jrs new cat will be running 4- 4,000 hp turbines in a 50 custom cat.Can you hear that phone call to Elton Porter,insure what. My wife thinks were over grown kids and after Katrina and 2008 stock market I will take it to the next level..Lifes to short play hard!!!

Quick Reply: Whipple blower snout fix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.