Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whats your opinion on 28-30' boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20150-whats-your-opinion-28-30-boats.html)

Whassup 03-14-2002 09:53 PM

Whats your opinion on 28-30' boats

I am in the market for a 28'-30' boat and can't quite find all the answerslet me tel you my ipression and correct me if I am wrong anywhere and you advice would be great! I currenty own a '95 253 checkmate MPI/EFI does 70 gps. I would like to get a bigger faster boat. mid to upper 70's would be great! Also think about swim plattfrom lenght I want a true 28' boat at least 27'6"
-1st I looked at pantera very nice but heavy need alot of power to hit mid 70's and also doesn't have a great cabin and I have 2 kids cabin is important when there in the boat 30% of the time.
-2nd Fountian; to many out there and fit and finish on mid 90's just ok but I found a 29 fever for $52,000 with twin 502's thats should run 80mph , also the boat sits to low in the rear,just don't thimk it for me??
-3rd powerquest;, not as sporty and race lookin as as would like doesn't seem much differernt than my checkmate
-4th Bigger Checkmate: why go just a few feet bigger in the same boat and lot more power in a 28' to get it o go mid -upper 70s
-5th cigarette: love it can't afford it
-6th Active thunder: like the looks, some have said there having problems with hulls??? other don't seem not to know much and its hard to find a used one?
-7th velocity: I like the looks but think i need a 30' to feel bigger and people have said they chim walk at upper 70's quaility I don't know about but there are alot in my area so maybe if its the real deal
-8th sunsation: one of my best choices great fir=t and finish good ride, priced well but no twins in a 28'8 I would need a HP500 or blower I like twins
-9th and last Sonic 28 or 31ss I like this boat but its heavy but very well done needs alot of power to move her, but I can get twin 454's or 502's so to date the soinc is first and sunsation 2nd unles someone can help change my mind it is open
oh ya I need help finding one probably mid 90's for around $50,000 would be great

Thanks for the help

puder 03-14-2002 10:12 PM

did you ever consider a superboat? They are made on long island. They make a 30' that is pretty roomey. Its also pretty quick with a single hp500. But can coem with any custom power you want. FastEddy races one in F1 and its pretty quick greta rough water F1 boat due to the size. I believe it would fit in your price range brand new. I think jon has oen available already biult waiting for a home if not he would be glad to custom biuld you one.

Whassup 03-14-2002 10:22 PM

to my understanding the super boat has a 7' beam way to narrow for my useage thaks anyway

mpally 03-14-2002 10:32 PM

Puder, so you are staying I can buy a brand new 30 ft. Superboat that will do mid 70's for 50 grand? I can't believe that.

puder 03-14-2002 10:44 PM

my bad

$64k -brand spanking new with a 496 and will run 70mph

26scarab 03-14-2002 10:44 PM

I don't envy your dilema !

To go from a 25 ft boat to a 28 really doesn't make much sense BUT the jump to a 30+ ft boat is ALOT more money.
I know on the lake I boat on a 32 ft boat is all that is needed but for me a 32 ft boat would have to run in the mid to high 90's (I'm going 80 right now)well I doubt I will every be able or want to spend the money it will take to do that.
Well a 28 ft boat is way more affordable ,except it would take BIG power(being a single) to run that fast. It is a tough decision ,unless money is no object.
I think I would be happy with a 28ft Active Thunder with a single 800-900hp BB. They have a really roomy cabin for a 28 footer.
The Sunsation is a good choice to, a 32 with small blocks is pretty affordable,but only runs around 67mph.
Good luck

32fever 03-14-2002 10:49 PM

All I can say is good luck:) I think it's safe to say we all go through this kind of thing. It's not easy finding the "right one". You'll find it. Just need patience.

To get a true 28' Fountain, you'll need to look at 42's. Figured I'd say it before someone else did.

I think you'll wind up with a 28 AT or 31 Sonic, and you may have to increase your budget a tad to find a primo condition boat. If you have 2 kids and want room, I'd start with those two.

If you want speed, well, you can guess what I'd suggest:)

Hot Duck 03-14-2002 10:50 PM

Go with the Pantera. They are heavy, but they handle extremely well. I owned a 28 and loved it! This boat now belongs to Griff. Pantea builds a sturdy rig!

Thirsty Turtle 03-14-2002 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's right Whassup, go with your first instinct!

The kids won't care if the cabin doesn't have the amenities, but it is roomy.

If I didn't like mine so much, I'd sell it to ya!
:D

Whassup 03-15-2002 08:16 AM

I was going to buy that boat it was listed for $44000 but I snoozed and now its yours. I know you bought it a bit cheaper, want to make some money and sell?? I always liked that boat.

If I can find the right boat I save another 10,000-15000 for next year