First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28 >

First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Notices

First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rlj676,

If I can answer any questions for you on our custom Hi - Performance boat line (new or pre-owned) please feel free to call me at 786-331-7100 or email me at: [email protected]

Jo - Pantera Boats
Attached Thumbnails First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28-28-sr-9.jpg   First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28-28-sr-3.jpg   First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28-28-sr-11.jpg  

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 01-26-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone.

That powerplay is nice, but not my first choice really (purple, the lines, etc). At that asking price I think I could find something more exactly what I wanted, but if it was being "given away" I'd be very interested.

I have been "shopping" (just looking really) for 3+ years, so I am well aware of damn near all the options out there. I like Sunsations, but the 288 does not compare to the AT or Pantera I think in size, as it has a swimstep in the length. The 32's are nice but pricey.

Basically, I'm looking for something under 50K, which although isn't a ton in terms of a boat, is still a LOT of money to me. Therefore, graphics, looks, etc, do matter. I wouldn't buy an ugly car for half that, so there is a lot to take into consideration for me. So, my basic question is more of a newer 28ish single vs a 20 year old Bullet with twins. Now, if a newer 32 Sunsation or AT comes along at a great deal, I would certainly consider it. I haven't really seen anything yet.

Jo, I will probably be calling you later and towards the season to see if you have any leads on 28's that could go for under 50. I wish I could just pick up the new one of course.

Of course, if someone knows of a great deal on anything I've mentioned I'd like to hear about it.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered

Oh, and the majority of my boating will be on Lake St Clair, which compared to LOTO where I'm used to (I'm from KC MO originally) isn't too rough at all. So while I want decent offshore performance, it isn't the only factor.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
I know 1 guy telling me ,,actually a friend of mine ,,,he sold his AT and now has the fastest 38 PP out there,,,,he never looks back or misses his AT !
Maybe...maybe not.

But I do know he brings it back to the AT factory anytime he needs my paint job touched up.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Ok, my 2 cents,

All of the boats up to AND including a Sunsation 32 are smaller than the Cig Bullet. The Bullet is a true, very heavy, straight transomed 31' boat. No beaks or molded swim platforms. Discounting headroom, I'm almost certain it has the biggest cabin of anything mentioned above (I haven't been in all the boats listed). It has a separate enclosed head with a pumpout toilet and a sink. I've had 6-7 in the cabin with no one up on the V-berth and everyone was comfortable.

I also think it will handle the biggest seas with the most comfort than anything above. I think most would probably agree that for it's size, there are not many (if any) that could take a better sea. And they are priced right with the current economy.

Now the downside..... It's well over 10K lbs sitting on a trailer. Probably closer to 12K. Being a straight, heavy vee bottom, it takes alot of power to go fast. 850 total HP will probably only be 62-65mph. Cost of running will probably be higher than the other boats listed. Cockpit is well designed, but a little small. 6 people would be the max if rough water is on the menu. I ran a poker run last year with some friends in a Baja and their cockpit was a ballroom compared to mine. Another downside would be a lack of wind protection.

Other than that, I love my Bullet, so I guess I'm biased
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine had a 28 AT /502. Was on the boat many times and really like the high freeboard and it has a large cabin for a 28. We boated on Lake Erie and it handled the slop very well.

I had a 1987 31 Cigarette Decathlon (same hull as Bullet) with trip outboards. That boat was a heavy wave crusher but it sure burned the fuel.

Have you thought about a 29 Scarab? Have a friend with one of these and really like that boat also was single 502.

If 60ish is ok with you.

Insurance may require a survey on a boat older then 10 years so check that out so you do not get stuck paying some crazy rate even if you can get it insured.

I've had boats with single, twin and triple engines.

Get the newest boat you can afford with a single and get on the water and have fun. I had just as much fun with my 24 Superboat and 24 Outlaw as the bigger boats at a fraction of the cost for fuel, maintance and up keep.

Did you work at KCK? I am new to Wentzville Mo. via Ohio.
I went to LOTO this summer and fell in love but I still miss my Lake Erie. Fingers crossed for the future..............
Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey HOLLOWPOINT,

I see you are from Virgina Beach. I sold my Cig Decathlon to a guy from that area a few years ago. It was White with Black and Gray stripes down the side with trip outboards.
just wondering if you ever seen it or if it is still around.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't see any boats talked about in this thread that aren't high quality boats.

Go water test them and go from there.

My 28 Pantera was a great boat. The only thing I wished was that it had more freeboard. It is still a 28 footer and will only be so comfortable in sloppy water. My 32 AT rides a LOT better in the LOTO rough water and th AT has as much freeboard as a 38 TG.

Either boat will handle any rough water you throw at it.

Never ridden in a 28AT, but I expect the ride would be comparable to the Pantera. The 28 AT will have a lot more freeboard.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have only seen one open Cig around here and it's been in the last 6-9 months. I have passed one sitting for sale near the Lynnhaven Inlet. I haven't stopped and can see mainly just the bow since it is sandwiched between other boats. I can't see the power, but it's all white with black/blue/gray hockey stick stripes (not sure of stripe colors as I go by it at 45mph).

Next time I'm up that way, I'll try to stop by.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Registered

I really like my 27ZX Donzi. 28ZX is the same size with a stepped hull. Seen quite a few for sale this year for under $50K. Great boat with a usable cabin. It's my first boat so I am by no means and expert. But for a first boat it has been good and we used it quite a bit last year. Spent many a weekend on it over the summer. Probable not the fastest boat and certainly not as roomy as some of the bigger boats. But has worked for river running on th St Croix and hanging out for a day at the lake. I think the quality of Donzi was heads above some of the other boats. Ours is a 1997 and was had for a pretty decent price.

Quick Reply: First Boat Question - Bullet vs AT/Pantera 28

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.