Like Tree0Likes

Sellers: Do you tire of tirekickers?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post
HAHAHA go work at a dealership and you will know the meaning of "tire kickers"

We have always been polite to customers, however we have adopted new practices at boat shows. Basically if you are not interested keep your kids OFF.
WILL
I have two friends that have both been "mislabled" as tire kickers yet pulled the trigger on a Top Gun and a 42 Lightning at a boat show. Both paid cash for the boats.

Outerlimits salesmen both told these guys that the boats were "off limits" to them since they didn't look like much. I regularly give both of these guys a hard time about wearing work clothes out to a boat show. To their credit they are self-employed, live in million dollar waterfront homes (also free and clear) and don't owe a penny to anyone.

These guys have made a career of surprising salesmen with their abilities to pull the trigger. I have introduced them to each other and they are remarkably similar in size, occupation, heritage and personality. Agewise they could be father and son. Both said they thought the other guy looked like he was broke.......how is that for irony....
Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

It's just called due diligence. you should know what you can afford and the costs of whats going to go with it. thats why at the Wynn in Vegas they charge 10 bucks to come in and look at the ferarris, buy one and you dont pay it.
When looking you should have your ducks in a line so you dont look like a tool when the time comes. As I said in another thread, if you are worried about having to redo the motors in a few months and cant afford it, then you probably cant afford the boat to begin with. buying the boat is the easy part, making sure you have the insurance, tow vehicle, trailer are just as important.

When I bought the Tiger, I already knew that it was with no trailer, I called Myco got the price, and talked with a loan guy, when he dropped the ball at the 11th hour. Another broker picked it up and gave me verbal approval in 30 minutes, had the paperwork done in a week. It was because I knew what i wanted to spend, had the down payment and knew all the expenses before Victor and I agreed. he gave me his best price and the deal was done. I actually made a payment and kept it at Victors marina for a month because Myco had a backlog. I had never met him until I picked it up and made a friend in the process.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V

One easy way to find out if they are kicking tires or could/should be buying your boat if you have a high end boat for sale is to do what some dealers do and I had done to me many times when I was looking at OL NT Cig.

When they ask to look at your boat say sure it's a great boat what boat do you have now? I had a 2000 42 Sonic then and that must have been enough to get me in the door. The only guy that didn't ask that was Terry Sobo but we all know he's a good guy.

If they say I don't have a boat or I have never had a boat and your selling a 40 foot boat with 2000 hp then you might want to let them know on top of the 300k price tag if he could get insurance on it it would be 8-12k a year and another 40k just to run the boat a year. If your not looking at his tail lights or his wife isnt pulling his arm to get him away from you, maybe you have a chance at a sale.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
There are several well known people on this board that made offers on certain boats, and when their offer was accepted, walked away. When their low ball offer became reality and further committment was required, they went into stealth mode and dissapeared. What kind of $hit is that? I don't blame some sellers for being the way they are.

THIS drives me waaaaaay more crazy than tire kickers.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

If I was selling (which btw I am) I'd welcome all the tire kickers in the world. It's part of the process of selling anyhting wether it be car, boat, or a used lawn mower, window shoppers are part of the packafge or par for the course. I'd be happy getting looks of any kind. If nothing else it helps spread the word until the one guy shows up in lust for the rig.

I would say though, that it's the "wafflers" or yeah I'm going to buy it, then later as you get jazzed up you hear oh no sorry can't or they disappear altogether. Now that's real BS on any sensitivity level.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2004 TS Top Gun

I think the bigger problem is that our hobby is not growing with others, we are just dealing with the same core group of people. It reminds of the saying "at this point we are just trading deck chairs on the titanic". The 80's was all about go-fast and you saw waiting lists to buy boats back than. I think the manufacturers need to get together and start with product placement. I think we all saw the anna kournikova pics of her on that top gun. If I was Cigarette I would have made that into a poster, leaked it to the press (those stupid celebrity shows), and started a new tv show called "anna and the cig". The last one was a little far fetched but you get the idea. That is the type of marketing that sells our boats and hopefully recruits fresh buyers into the mix.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanafort View Post
That is the type of marketing that sells our boats and hopefully recruits fresh buyers into the mix.
Marketing isn't the problem affordability is.........

New boat prices are insane, insurance has hit an all time high, fuel/storage is astronomical and the economy is slow so most people don't have huge sums of disposable income to spend.

Now add short seasons for the up north crowd and you can see it is a limited market with shrinking pools of buyers.

Think of Harley- 15-20K for a nice new bike you can ride 8-10 months a year in most places and can be enjoyed almost anywhere worldwide. They are not for everyone but appeal to the masses and are cheap to operate. Cigarette (all go fasts in general) is only good if you live near W A T E R, costs 10X +++ as much as a Harley and is good for short trips and has a very high operational cost.

You can advertise all you want but if you are the average American making 40K a year, lucky to have a job in the midwest you are not dreaming of a 39 TG right now......
Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2004 TS Top Gun

good point.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Lip-Ship- Grafikworx Glad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
Marketing isn't the problem affordability is.........

New boat prices are insane, insurance has hit an all time high, fuel/storage is astronomical and the economy is slow so most people don't have huge sums of disposable income to spend.

Now add short seasons for the up north crowd and you can see it is a limited market with shrinking pools of buyers.

Think of Harley- 15-20K for a nice new bike you can ride 8-10 months a year in most places and can be enjoyed almost anywhere worldwide. They are not for everyone but appeal to the masses and are cheap to operate. Cigarette (all go fasts in general) is only good if you live near W A T E R, costs 10X +++ as much as a Harley and is good for short trips and has a very high operational cost.

You can advertise all you want but if you are the average American making 40K a year, lucky to have a job in the midwest you are not dreaming of a 39 TG right now......
Are you saying that most people don't want to spend $500,000 plus for a 40 foot boat with an 8 ft beam that you can't eat, sleep or chit on that gets used several hours on certain good weather weekends? How ludicrous!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 32 Sunsation SSR, 308 skater,( #1-28 skater sold), 24' Xpress

I'm new to power boating ...don't own one yet and came here in hopes of being able to discuss and learn all the aspects of power boats that I didn't know...which is plenty...so for me buying is a long drown out process...while I have the $ to buy, I don't want to end up with a headache or something that just isn't for me. I also don't want to insult anyone with an offer...I think as seller tire kicking comes with the territory and as a buyer sometimes you run across a seller who has been kicked a lot and is tired of the kicking, but like I said, that comes with the territory..always someone out there who wants something that they just cant' afford yet.