Notices

Any New Innovative Ideas?

Old 07-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racers......
what about a lever on the hull bottom or skeg that senses when the boat is out of the water or entering. this trigers the engine ignition timing to 0 advance or much reduced advance. Engine just "free spins" no load at 5200 rpm while airborn until the lever senses you are re entering, then instantaneous full timing advance again.

this may allow the throttle man to tie the throttles with baling twine to the console at WOT and doesn't send a shock through the driveline because the props had spun up while out of the water.

seems the re advancing of the timing upon entry again would give much increase throttle response as you dont have to re-accellerate the engine/driveline, or wait for fuel and air flow to increase, etcetera. you could work out the exact timing of this with lever shape, size, angle, and degree of timing retard.

what do you think...........

p.s. if you use the bailing twine...does that make you a sophisticated redneck????
Old 07-08-2002, 10:14 PM
mjuwalters

ttt

Old 07-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rambunctious

Theoretical Question on the self “Throttling Boat” what happen on a Cat say at speed and when only one prop is in the water? And full throttle on that one side only! The boat would “Tractor” to the opposite side and direction then the now off side would now be full throttle on also, maybe either forcing the boat in a straight line or in worse case maybe lifting the other side free of the water and starting a very attention grabbing and exciting Oscillation!would it not ?

Best Regards
Old 07-09-2002, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

quesion about water injection . It seems to work on the street . But I know a leaking exhaust or water reversion will tear up a motor real bad . Why is this ? Is it because water is coming in through the exhaust on the exhaust stroke instead of dureing the intake stroke ?
I geuss I probably aswered my own quesion .
Old 07-09-2002, 07:29 AM
Registered

steve 1... good question. I was thinking more about this idea last night.... maybe the best/safest solution is simply a timing retard button or lever on the throttles. when a boat launches, the driver could retart the timing of both engines simultaneously but still always having the throttles to back off if needed..

I think that this idea would give much better " throttle" response...... again you could fine tune how much the timing backed off. also, I wonder if this action would help to cool the engines a bit. we used to have a trick racing gocarts (they ran on alcohol) we would set the trottle linkage so that 3/4 travel was full throttle. if you pushed the pedal farther, then the butterfly would "overtravel" cutting off some air, but still feeding full fuel. anyone who runs alcohol knows that it has significant cooling due to vaporization. that way we could run real lean down the strait and cool off going into a corner.

anyway I digress........what do you think? seems like with electronic ignitions now days, it would be easy to try. I would love to put some telemetry on an F1 or F2 boat to see what the EFI/throttle man are doing. kind of like looking at reaction time at the drag strip. when the throttle man ratchets the sticks in a launch. what is the timing before full fuel, full rpm are back up again. Of course the best throttle men anticipate a launch and try to put to the throttles just before reentry( just like drag racing reaction time at the light...only they do it over... and over.....)

with this feature mentioned it seems it would be that much easier and faster.........??

I think I will file a patent provisional on this idea. who knows what might come of it.....maybe mercury or gaffrig will come a callin???
Old 07-09-2002, 11:10 AM
GeoGraphics INC

Way back in the 80s when the Miami -NY races were being run Alan Brown (Brownie) built a self-throttling system for a 4 engine 50' Couger cat using flaps on the bottom with cables going to the carb linkage, the throttles were connected to the carbs with springs of a certain tension the flaps on the bottom had springs of a higher tension, which when the boat came out of the water would override the throttle springs and back down the engine. There were a couple of other componants that allowed you to get full throttle while getting up on plane but you get the idea Mike Nicholson

Old 07-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Registered

COOL... did it work well?

maybe there is hope yet for the electronic version of this idea.
I'd be curious to see what retarding timing will do to torque output on an engine at full throttle, could you retard enough to just free spin and maintain rpm, but not retard too much to send raw fuel into the exhaust. wonder what the feedback sonsors would do...........

hmmmmmmm. anyone running a dyno soon?

F1 drivers do you just let it ride on the limiter when launching??
Old 07-09-2002, 11:57 AM
GeoGraphics INC

As far as I know it worked, they set a new record from Miami to NY.

Old 07-09-2002, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maybe it's me

But I'd be happy with a bravo style drive that was indestructible.

Maximus

Oh! and a couple of automatic drink coolers for the dash so my "Gatorade" is always cold.

Self washing boat?

Old 07-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sage Drives

TomCat & GlassDave,

Regaurding the merc/sage drives:

Just letting you Know they are
Sage drives. They have nothing to do
with mercury. He competes with mercury.

His name is Mike Sage and a very nice fellow
to deal with. He is out of Ohio and the
drives are about $30,000 each including
your Transome assembly.

Here is his website:

http://www.scsgearbox.com/stern.htm

SCS Gear Box
739 W. MAIN ST.
BELLEVUE, OHIO 44811

PH: 419-483-7278 FAX: 419-483-4741

Quick Reply: Any New Innovative Ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.