Like Tree0Likes

Boston HiPo Show 1987

Old 01-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Concept 22
Default Boston HiPo Show 1987

Does anyone remember the Hi-Performance only boat show in Boston held in 1987, if I remember right? I remember going (was 15 at the time) and seeing a couple of 24' Skaters (one was all orange w/ OMC power) and a 23' Warlock among others. Does anyone happen to have any pics? Would love to see another show like this, nothing but "go fast".
Matt
Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 02 Cigarette Mystique T/S

I remember it well. I believe it was April 1988. At the time I was making great $$$ peddling Snap On Tools and had a few buck burning a hole in my pocket.

I had just ordered a new Baja Sport 220 w/454 Mag from Performance Marine (Oxford MA) but fell in love with the 23 Warlock and a rather buxom model named Jolie The Warlock was rather pricey for the day, 32k if I remember correctly but I wanted it badly. I actually went back to the show twice in one day and went back one more time a day or two later. By then a friend of mine from Essex Ma. bought the Warlock. I think he still has it to this day..unless it's the one you now own.

Yes, there were some incredible boats there. Middlesex Power & Marine (Tewksbury MA) had a bad ass all yellow blown 12 Meter Fountain, Banana Boats was there and a great display of Eliminator and Cole jets and clip-on's from Performance Boats of New England (Hookset, NH) I also remember a very trick 24 Superboat with big power. I believe they were asking 65k or something. That was large money for a 24' boat back then.

Yup, great show and I still have some of the brochures gathered from that show. Too bad all of the above dealers are long gone!

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 01-30-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Default Those were the days...

I think that show actually went 2 years in a row, it was at the World Trade Center - then it ceased. I only worked it one year (the first) - I was in college and working for a Formula dealer during the summer and winter break, so I got to work the show. That was the first time I met Kevin from Progression - they had a booth there and his boats just blew me away. That's a guy that knows his product and its capabilities! I remember him telling me to pick a point on the hull-side - any point, not just a bulkhead - and he just hammered on it to show the strength and integrity of the boats construction. The criteria to get into that show - what defined "performance boat" - was any boat in the show had to be capable of 55mph or better. So we had a 29PC with BB's that just cracked 55 - allowing us to have it in the show. Wonder what the criteria would be today for a show like that if it existed, 70, 80, 90...?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered

A show like that would be great now, the average speed would probably be in the 100's.
Biggus: you must be talking about Duncan. You put me in touch with him a couple of years ago, great guy. I do not own his boat, he did order it at the show and still has it. I have been up to see it a couple of times and before I bought mine I would periodically try and get him to sell me his. He says he wants to possibly restore it one day and he loves looking at it out in the yard.
I remember Progression at the show. I also remember sitting in the cabin of a 32' Hustler with cool fiber-optic lighting. '80's baby!
I wish I had brought a camera.
Matt
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 02 Cigarette Mystique T/S

Matt, yes Duncan bought the Warlock at that show. He's a real character and a lot of fun to hang with. Back in the late 80's early 90's there was a strong performance boat presence in the Essex/Ipswich/Gloucester area. I ripped it up many times with those guys. In the mid 90's I had a red Fountain 10 Meter ICBM....mine stood for I Can Blow Motors! :drink

Great times and more to come!!!!

You should tow your rig up the pike to Maine this summer and check out the hardware up here! I think you'll like it.
Kurt
Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Registered

I remember the show well, I flew up from N.J. both years. I thought it was great. Doug
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered

Kurt: sounds like a plan. Dunc now has a fishing machine but won't part with the Warlock. In the summer of 2007 I spent an afternoon cruising the Newburyport, Gloucester, Rockport area in a 28' Redline cat with twin 2.5's. Very nice, scenic area to boat in.
Fountain 10m ICBM, I remember loving that boat along with its big brother (the 40) from the ads in all the mags in the '80s
Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Talking

I think I also remember a little 19' Cougar jet with huge power being there. I remember loving that little rocket but don't think it would have faired too well in Boston Harbor.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered

My brother and I flew in from Toronto. He bought the 1988 Eliminator 27 from the Wisconsin manufacturer. I still have the boat today. The show had a fabulous amount of smaller (20-30 foot) performance boats. Saw my first skater there. It was fun.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Registered

I went I remember the 23' velocity and the warlock