Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SONIC 38 Cat,  any feed back good/bad?? >

SONIC 38 Cat, any feed back good/bad??

Notices

SONIC 38 Cat, any feed back good/bad??

Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SONIC 38 Cat, any feed back good/bad??

I know Sonic got the molds from Mares (i think) has anyone seen one of these Cats in action? Is a very good looking boat, with MTI and Skater ruling the Cat market seems like these would carve a nich for people not wanting to drop as much coin?? I have been in many Sonics and feel their quality is pretty good.

http://www.sonicusaboats.com/#/boatModels/38CAT/
WILL
Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Will..one was bought by a guy up on the Potomac...nice boat tons of room, just not very fast. I think he has 525's and Bravo's, and it ran in the 78-80 mph range. Hull just doesnt look like its working right at speed. A lot of wetted area, sorry dont have any pics, but have seen it in the water. Its great for getting out an cruising around. Wonder if the insurance is as bad on them as other cats since they dont seem to run quite as fast.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

IMO a 36 Spectre is a better deal
Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CSI bought sonic, or a set of sonic molds, Im not sure of the exact details,, but my understanding is CSI in stuart, has a 31 and 36 sonic V mold, that they make both center console, and performance models, Mares was owned in a partnership of CSI as well,, and the 38 cat mold is in stuart, where it produces a 38 center console, and a 38 pleasure, as well as a 38 concept with an open deck and out boards.

I own a 38 performance cat, and it isnt an MTI, Specter, or Nortec, by any means,, Mares / Sonic cats are designed with a different purpose, If you want all out speed and performance, you probably dont want the Mares, The power set up is for optimum performance with modest stock power 75-80 mph,which i was a pretty nice option when fuel was $4.00 a gallon. I wouldnt reccomend adding too much HP to the hull, because its not designed to be an MTI. If your happy with dependability, a good fuel consumption to speed ratio, and a huge cabin for a cat, as I am , its a good choice. It has plenty of room for friends and family. The boat is very forgiving in hairy situations and sea conditions, and its extremely operator friendly in tight docking situations. I would recomend it as a great boat to learn and gain experience before you move into a 120mph plus cat.

Last edited by spk1; 01-30-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Registered

www.marespowercats.com
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

CSI owns Mares (Cats) Sonic (Offshores) and Dakota (CC).

Expect some new and exciting things from CSI & "friends" going forward.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Better ride in one before you buy... I thought it looked nice as well... Contacted the factory and they hooked me up with one of their owners and I went and saw it. I think it was the one on the Potomac that BEAK was referring to as it had Merc 525's. He was a real nice older guy That never had a go fast boat before. I thought the fit and finish on the boat was a B-. We took the boat for a ride and it porpoise like crazy between 65 and 85 MPH. No matter how much trim or tab I used I could not correct it. With this condition we never saw over 85MPH which is pretty poor considering it's a cat

Last edited by maxonmike; 01-31-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Registered

That poor thing looks no where near as nice as an MTI, Skater, or Nor Tech. It looks dated yet it's brand new. I'd buy a used Nor Tech before I'd buy that poor thing.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:29 PM

Thanks everyone, seems like a decent boat, but if 80 is all its getting with 525's thats pretty bad. A 42 Fountain does more than that.

WILL
Old 01-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I Dont Think These Cat's Where Made To Go Fast . They Where Made To Cruise With Family And To Run In Rough Water At A Slower Speed .

Or Maybe They Just Need Some 1075 To Get It Over The Hop

Quick Reply: SONIC 38 Cat, any feed back good/bad??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.