Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Let's try again - how about THIS oil changer? >

Let's try again - how about THIS oil changer?

Notices

Let's try again - how about THIS oil changer?

Old 03-16-2002, 10:40 AM
kook

Question Let's try again - how about THIS oil changer?

I decent # of guys replied to my previous post about an oil changer - you guys said that there was a big plastic hand pump that worked decent, and priced reasonable. Below is a pic of a unit from BoatUS, for about $50. Was this what you were referring to? It's listed as the "Tempo Oil Boy Pump"......

FWIW, I only have a single screw boat, and have no near-term plans for a larger boat with twins.

thx,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Let's try again - how about THIS oil changer?-tempooilboypump.jpg  

Last edited by kook; 03-16-2002 at 10:43 AM.

Old 03-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's a good compromise to the other junk (used to have one) contraption you were looking at. FYI I emptied a cold motor sitting in my garage in about 4 minutes with the electric pump on a bucket. I also have large diameter dipstick tubes that are designed for sucking out oil. I take a 90 degree spark plug boot install one end over dipstick tube and the other into the pump hose. I keep all my old antifreeze and winshield wiper fluid jugs flip the switch on the pump fill them up and drop them off at the oil change place. Scott
Old 03-16-2002, 03:06 PM
Bo Knows

Wink

Thats the one that I use. It works great. The one shown looks like the 5 qt. one. It works fine but you will have to empty it twice whe changing the oil in one engine. Thats ok but I believe they make the same one with a bigger holding tank. Get that one if you can. Also the one shown has a smaller hose attached to the bigger hose probably to snake down inside the dipstick tube. this will make changing the oil take a lot longer. Since most engines now have dipstick tubes that go down to the bottom of the oil pan the best way to attach the hose for quickest pump out would be to find a piece of rubber hose the same size as the largest plastic tube that comes with the pump, put it on the end of the tube then slide it over the outside of the dipstick tube. The dipsick tube & plasticc tube are the same size so if there is no reduction in size you can pump out an engine in minutes, hot or cold. Yes I know its definitely better to do it when the engines are warm but sometimes you just cant. Good luck !

Old 03-16-2002, 03:20 PM
ssherman

I have an electric one that just has alligater clips for the battery I can get the name and Manuf if you would like it is down at my lake house. It does a great job.

Old 03-16-2002, 06:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is just like the one I have but I think mine may be taller (just judging from the rips on the side). I can do a oil change in one tank. Mine came with two tubes, one smaller then the other. If you can as has been mentioned get a rubber hose over the dipstick tube then you will be able to do your change a lot faster. Then you can take the smaller one to get the rest. If not it really does not take that long to get the oil out of there with the smaller tube as long as they are warmed up. Just a couple of pumps and you can walk away. If id does fill up mine has a check valve that stops it from over filling.

Jon
Old 03-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kook that is the same one i use on my boat single also. works ok with oil cold but works great with engine warm. i have tried a few and this seems to work the best i found so far. with the small stick you can actually get just about all the oil out. yes i have to empty out once during ouil change but it has check valve and wont let it overfill. mine is a Tempo Oil Boy model OB5 part # 170200 yes i got it at one of the local boat stores not sure which though. Good Luck
Old 03-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Bo Knows

Thumbs up

Hey Kook, I just saw this one for sale in the new Overtons catalog for $59.95 and it's the one with the big holding tank.

Bo

Old 03-20-2002, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this one from Overtons. It works great!
Attached Thumbnails Let's try again - how about THIS oil changer?-oilpump.jpg  
Old 03-20-2002, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats it
Old 03-20-2002, 04:57 PM
Fastcat

That oil changer works great I am a merc master mechcanic by trade and in the middle of winterization season I burned up a more expensive 12v oil changer I bought the unit pictured as a in between until my replacement arrived , It worked excellent- very simple to operate and empty!!!!

Quick Reply: Let's try again - how about THIS oil changer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.