Looking for a 26 Performance Boat..  Velocity or Baja >

Looking for a 26 Performance Boat.. Velocity or Baja

Notices

Looking for a 26 Performance Boat.. Velocity or Baja

Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 26 Performance Boat.. Velocity or Baja

Looking for the difference between a Velocity 260 and the Baja 26 Outlaw. I boat on a big lake in Virginia. Looking for some guidance and which boat would you recommend for performance, comfort, and speed. Thanks

David
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two completely differnt boats, the Velocity is going to be faster (power being equal) Baja is going to ride much better, deeper V, and heavier. What lake in VA do you boat most on, if you are at SML, we have a 26 Outlaw at that location now, you could go look at it. I like the looks and ride of Baja more but you should look at both before making a decision.

two of your qualities are give and take comfort and Speed

WILL
Old 02-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stay away from Velocity!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

David, Baja Will gave you good advise, while both are performance boats with nice deep cockpits and, for the length, roomy cabins they are different. First be aware that a Velocity 260 is about two feet shorter then an Outlaw because it includes in the length the swim platform. To get the same length you need to look at a Velocity 280 or prior to 1998 a Velocity 26.

I would lean toward the Velocity but then I have owned Velocitys for more then 14 years. Baja people and others will tell you that theirs ride better in rough water but then again I have never had a hard time keeping up with a Baja in rough water and i boat in the Great Lakes.

As far as ThroughHustler. He sounds like a man with an axe to grind. Velocity is a great boat and I have always had Support from the factory. If you call with a question you usually talk with the owner, builder Steve Stepp. Believe me, that doesn't happen with all high performance manufacturers.

Bottom line? Take Will's advise and look at both and test drive them.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered

If you are interested I have a 27 Avanti that has new int. 454 420 hp merc. with under 300 hrs on motor. Boat is in excellent cond. Garage kept and fresh water. New perfomance trailer. 12K Boat is one of the best rough water 27's out there. If you want more info & pic send me an e-mail [email protected]
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Depayne, I too was in your position a few years ago. I had my choice down to a 26 Velocity or a 26 Donzi. I chose the Velocity and am very happy with it. The Baja is also a nice boat.
As far as rough water goes, I boat on some rough water too. Lake Michigan.
Look both boats over carefully. Decide what features you like , and what boat fits your boating style the best. If you want a wave crusher you need to look at something heavy and slow. ( Don't want to mention any brands) If you want to be out front get a Velocity. The Velocity has a very deep cockpit which is nice in rough water. Also a flat sun platform for catching some rays. I believe the cuddy is bigger too. I also like the flat part along the sides of the boat that enable you to walk up to the bow easily. Some boats are rounded and tough to get up on the bow.
There are a lot of Baja'a in my area. I have had many Baja owners crawl all over my boat and tell me how nice it is.

You might want to expand your list and look at the many nice boats in the 24-28ft size that are for sale right now. Some great buys out there.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Aright I have been in bought drove bought, they bought have deep cockpits, the cabin on a real 26 v is big that a 94 to 98 without the swimplatform. the velocity is a drivers boat when you get up on hp to ride on the pad they have, my baja 24 has a small one which without fuull hyd steering you need to drive too. the 25 or 26 baja ols have more cabin room the velocity 26 a friend is selling with new 1050hp motor so you can go 75 all day at low rpms or go 100. its in nice shape he wants 30,000 or 35,000 or under not sure the motor has all good parts and is worth 30,000 its self. so .you would get the boat free. if you want new test drive the velocity 280 = 26 ol baja. I like them both and if he keeps his we will have lots of fun this summer cause my boat will be inthe water after 2 years with a new DEAN GELLNER 1050HP and for fun we will keep track of our speeds and post here since my boat and his are about the same weight, freeboard ,beam he has 2 feet on me, butmy boats been modified so it runs better than stock. good luck 280v/260ol test ride if you can.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best ride you will find in a 26...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o25695-en.html
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered

as said you neeed to compair a 280 velocity to a 26 baja. i thank you will find the cabin bigger in the velocity and it is a deeper boat. now for rough water well i have yet to see a baja that can keep up with me in rough water, not sure if it cause of the speed difference or they are no better in the rough. power for power the velocity will be faster and get better fuel milage. funny story i have a friend with a 28 pantera with big power, we were at a poker run with my brothers 280 velocity with big power... well the guy with the pantera told my bro he would go by him in the rough. So it gets rough and my bro just leaves the guy when we got back he said man it was just to rough to run fast so i am not sure how bad a velocity is in the rough but it sure went by that pantera.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikes280
as said you neeed to compair a 280 velocity to a 26 baja. i thank you will find the cabin bigger in the velocity and it is a deeper boat. now for rough water well i have yet to see a baja that can keep up with me in rough water, not sure if it cause of the speed difference or they are no better in the rough. power for power the velocity will be faster and get better fuel milage. funny story i have a friend with a 28 pantera with big power, we were at a poker run with my brothers 280 velocity with big power... well the guy with the pantera told my bro he would go by him in the rough. So it gets rough and my bro just leaves the guy when we got back he said man it was just to rough to run fast so i am not sure how bad a velocity is in the rough but it sure went by that pantera.

I had no problems in the rough with my 280, you just have to get back on the throttle right as you land after a launch.

Lake St Clair get pretty nasty, running 70+ was never an issue in any water, and the boat seemed to right itself automatically on landings.

We definitely suprised a lot of bigger boats, and blew away a 35 Donzi with triple outboards in 3-4 footers, we literally were letting him catch up then waving bye-bye as we hit the throttle.

I drove the Donzi a week later and it was definitely slower.

T38

Quick Reply: Looking for a 26 Performance Boat.. Velocity or Baja

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.