Notices

Trim pump toast ?

Old 03-16-2002, 03:09 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trim pump toast ?

Well it was a warm day so I decieded to unwrap The boat from it's winter cocoon made up of shrink-wrap. Now the motors were trimmed up a little . So i hooked up one of the battery's to trim the motors down when I did this the port motor was a little slower than the other the it stopped and I saw white smoke coming from the one side by the time I got back to it all I could smell was burnt wires . SO my question is Does any body have any experience with rebuilding a trim pump motor Is it able to be done or do I just go buy new? ( money is an issue because Me and the wife are losing are Jobs in 2 weeks ) ANY Ideas will be welcome.
Old 03-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Any help guy's.???????????????????
Old 03-16-2002, 05:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yes you can buy parts and re-build them. It is covered fully in my Bravo #28 Service manual. If you smelt burning wires it was most likely the motor. Basically it is a motor hooked to a pump and a 2 solenoids one for up and one for down. Also you can go to mercurserparts.com and look up the parts, I think a new one is like 350.00
Old 03-16-2002, 06:13 PM
Registered

the pump should still be good, I think I would just remove the motor from the pump leaving all hyd. intact, take it apart and do a look see inside, also look at the internal ground this connection is a week link in the motors,also end play is very importent to much and the coupler will jump in and out and sound like a blender. or you feel better take it to a starter- alternator shop and let them tell you if it is worth rebuild ,as most can be. also here is a # 1 800 710-8015 clames to sell compleat new trim pumps for 295.00. might be the way to go hope you get it soon .James

Last edited by FloridianSon; 03-16-2002 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Cain Crew

I think you'al find that most starter and alt. shops don't know where to get parts for them...they might even look at you funny! I took one from an omc to an electric motor place and the guy could not sorce the parts..lol the burnt smell might be from the armature(sp) if so it might be better (cheaper) just to replace it. If you do repair it what is the cost if it craps out again in july? the pump it self should be fine. pull the motor of and bench test it.

Old 03-16-2002, 07:07 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Cain take it to your local alt. Shop.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:15 PM
Registered

pump for a Bravo ??, might have one for ya
Old 03-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Thanks for the info guy's . Floridianson thanks for the ph#. I'll call him if it's not rebuildable. I'll check out the Mercuryparts.com also. Well at least I know what I'll be doing the next few days.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I`ve had great luck with my local alt,starter guy. He had the rebuild kits in stock. The regular Oildyne style pump was 75.00 for a rebuild consisting of a new brush holder assy and bushings.
UPS it to Falcon auto electric in Bridgton, Maine

Kurt.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you take the motor off of the pump, don't loose the little coupler. I think I have a good used pump you can have cheap. I'll check tomorrow. Email me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Trim pump toast ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.